What's your usual strategy?

#1davedogg6668Posted 2/3/2008 11:52:18 AM

Every time I play this game, I always play with the same approach. I use mainly the Pokemon I choose at the beginning up to the point where I can catch abra. Then I switch abra into battles to level him up. Once he evolves to Kadabra and learns confusion, I basically use him to defeat every foe afterward. It's pretty easy like that.

Does anyone else have a strategy they more or less follow every playthrough? Excluding challenges, of course; I'm talking about normal playthroughs.

#2gjdsjPosted 2/3/2008 1:16:08 PM
I do that sometimes. Kadabra/Alakazam are so overpowered.
---
f(n){--n;return !n?1:n*f(n++);}main(c,v){printf("%d\n",f(atoi(((char**)v)[1])));}
#3Amon_IshtarPosted 2/3/2008 5:51:21 PM
Alakazam isn't a Pokegod, though - that title is reserved to Mewtwo and Mewtwo alone. (After 4 generations, Mewtwo is still the most powerful Pokemon - Kyogre, Deoxys, and Arceus do come in very close though.)
---
It's not who you are underneath. It's what you do that defines you.
#4ultravaiddPosted 2/3/2008 9:14:20 PM
I only train six Pokemon throughout the entire game. Arcanine and Dewgong are usually in my Blue team.
---
Call me Ultra.
Currently number of accounts: 17 (Two read-only, three negative karma, one banned, one main, one lost account, and eight regular alts)
#5zesoupmonsterPosted 2/3/2008 10:58:13 PM
Alakazam isn't a Pokegod, though - that title is reserved to Mewtwo and Mewtwo alone. (After 4 generations, Mewtwo is still the most powerful Pokemon - Kyogre, Deoxys, and Arceus do come in very close though.)

Overpowered does not mean Pokegod, which in turn does not mean Uber. Pokegods are either those made-up rumors like Pikablu and Mewthree or glitches.
As for your claim that Mewtwo is the most powerful Pokemon still... I'm not even going to get into how many ways that's wrong.
#6Zhou14Posted 2/3/2008 11:39:22 PM
My main policy is five fighting Pokemon, plus one HM Slave. I normally get Grass, Electric, Fire, Water and Psychic into my team.
---
"You Flaming Idiots! Take this!" GameFAQs Moderator
(DW3 Reference)
#7Amon_IshtarPosted 2/4/2008 2:36:45 AM
Well, let's see about that... you believe Dark-Types and Steel-Types will be able to have an edge, right?

WRONG. Having possession of Aura Sphere in the 4th-gen, which you know is a Base Power 90, Fighting-Type, Swift-Accurate Special Attack (which runs off of Mewtwo's 400+ Special Attack which is second only to Deoxys' Attack Form), means that pretty much all the Dark-Types and Steel-Types are dead in the water. Depending on said Mewtwo's moveset, however, a few Bug-Types and Ghost-Types may be able to put up a decent fight.

Speaking of Deoxys' Attack Form, however... the sheer imbalance in those stats compared to other Pokemon is sickening; only Ninjask and Speed Form Deoxys are faster than Attack Form Deoxys, and no other Pokemon has as high a Physical Attack or Special Attack stat as Deoxys in its Attack Form.

Kyogre's primary claim to uber status isn't merely the fact its total stats are too high (especially Special Attack), but the fact it has the Drizzle ability which puts Rain Dance weather into play until 5 turns after Kyogre leaves play, making Thunder a Swift-accurate move and giving a powerful boost to Water moves. With that and a Special Attack stat only barely lower than Mewtwo's, its Water Spout will OHKO at least 70% of all other Pokemon, provided Kyogre's HP meter is full.

Arceus... he should be easy enough to explain. Having a grand total of 720 for his base stats, the highest of all 493 Pokemon, is clearly unfair, especially when those stats end up being higher than Mew's.

And rounding out the Top 5 Ubers is Mew, solely for the element of unpredictability which is coupled with a stat balance outmatched only by Arceus.

Putting that into a list, it'd be:
1-3) Mewtwo, Kyogre, and Deoxys (the exact order is contestable)
4) Arceus
5) Mew
---
It's not who you are underneath. It's what you do that defines you.
#8ultravaiddPosted 2/4/2008 7:48:17 AM
Depending on said Mewtwo's moveset, however, a few Bug-Types and Ghost-Types may be able to put up a decent fight.

Shadow Ball's a special attack in the 4th series. Give him that and the Ghost problem is over.

As for Bugs, there's not enough good ones to make a good match.
---
Call me Ultra.
Currently number of accounts: 17 (Two read-only, three negative karma, one banned, one main, one lost account, and eight regular alts)
#9gbchaosmasterPosted 2/4/2008 8:13:50 AM
Mew being in the uber top 5 makes me lol.
---
gbchaosmaster
#10zesoupmonsterPosted 2/4/2008 7:41:40 PM
Where did I say that Dark and Steel types countered Mewtwo? Anyway, no one asked you to name or discuss the most powerful Pokemon nor discuss the brokenness of the newer generations of Pokemon because you know what? This isn't RSE or DP.

From the sticky:
21) This isn't G/S/C... (Or "Golden Oldies")
We would appreciate it if people kept stuff about Curslax & Groudon (or anything from the later games) to the relevant boards. The only things that will be tolerated is discussions about tradebacks. (Pokemon with moves they couldn't normally learn in R/B/Y but still existed - such as Amnesia Nidoking) Mentions of things that did not exist in the first 3 games will not be tolerated by most of the users on the "Classic" boards.

Besides, if Mewtwo was that powerful, it'd be flat-out banned everywhere. But guess what? It isn't.