The HARDCORE Challenge! Follow our progress!

#1Pmac135Posted 8/12/2010 4:08:50 AM
Hello everyone. I'm introducing what we have read as the "hardcore" challenge to this board. My two friends and I (ATP Development is our team name) are going to play through Pokemon Blue with these rules:

POKEMON ATP HARD CORE OFFICIAL RULES

1. A Poke faint is a permanent KO. You must deposit it in the box and release it as soon as possible. HMs on KO’d Poke are unusable.
2. You may only catch one of each Poke evolution series. If a Pokedex entry exists for any Poke in its evolution series, you may not catch it or obtain it otherwise.
3. Many items are banned. These include any used to revive Poke, any stat and level modifier, any TMs. HMs, healing items, and key items used in order to obtain Poke are allowed. You may sell or discard prohibited items.
4. In game trading IS allowed. Out of game trading IS NOT allowed. Note that traded Poke cannot be reacquired.
5. You may save 8 times, once immediately after each gym leader (except to substitute pausing). You may not exploit this saving restriction to bypass the “No Save Before Legendary” rule. You may save once before attempting the Elite 4.
6. You may store unused or previously used (but never fainted) Poke in the PC.
7. You may not run from wild Poke battles, however you may intentionally evade trainer battles.
8. No glitching or cheating!
9. You must release the starting Poke before talking to the man who teaches you how to catch Poke.
10. So that grinding may not substitute strategy, some level restrictions are imposed:
a. Before Gym 1: MAX LEVEL 20
b. Before Gym 2: MAX LEVEL 30
c. Before Gym 3: MAX LEVEL 35
d. Before Gym 4: MAX LEVEL 40
e. Before Gym 5-6: MAX LEVEL 45
f. Before Gym 7: MAX LEVEL 50
g. Before Gym 8: MAX LEVEL 55
h. Before Elite 4: MAX LEVEL 70

We will be recording our progress through video and hopefully uploading it as soon as we can to the internet.

We are trying to revive the wonders of this game through a new challenge, in hope to give it some life again. Personally I know so much about this game, I find that I need to use my knowledge now and then! Feel free to ask us questions or give us suggestions for more stipulations.
---
"5 months from now it will say Stur - 10 wr" - Stur
http://www.pmac.airmode.de/ HRC Videos and scores
#2Pmac135(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2010 4:52:23 AM
UPDATE: Follow us starting this Sunday at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pokemon-blue-hardcore-challenge for live broadcast!
---
"5 months from now it will say Stur - 10 wr" - Stur
http://www.pmac.airmode.de/ HRC Videos and scores
#3DuzzLightPosted 8/13/2010 5:10:55 PM
3. Many items are banned. These include any used to revive Poke, any stat and level modifier, any TMs. HMs, healing items, and key items used in order to obtain Poke are allowed. You may sell or discard prohibited items.

This doesn't make sense
#4gjdsjPosted 8/13/2010 6:41:25 PM
This is hardcore? The game is still really easy under these rules...
#5hylianarmyPosted 8/15/2010 3:16:26 PM
Nuzlocke Lite. This is ridiculous.

If you want a challenge, use only unevolved or suboptimal Pokemon; don't go adding on a crapton of rules with the mindset that it'll increase the difficulty of the game. It's asinine.
---
Now Playing: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (X360), Pokemon Yellow (GB), Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PS), Mega Man X4 (PS).
#6NexxnokkPosted 8/26/2010 9:55:34 AM
On my game I followed most of the rules such as #2: Only 1 type of a poke evolution why catch more then 1?.
#3: Never used items that much. Never needed to.
#4: Never traded. Why would I?
#5: Saved only when I had to turn off my gameboy. Like most people would.
#7: You may not run from random fights. Why run you get exp that way?
#8: No glitching or cheating. I only glitch or cheat after I beat the game.
#10: No grinding. I never grind because it takes away some of the challenge, and the level restrictions are way too high. I mean I beat the Elite 4 without any Legendary Pokemon at Level 50-ish.
So I say that it isn't a HARDCORE Challenge or even a challenge at all.
---
I like shiny!
#7DoomSwellPosted 8/29/2010 7:53:23 AM
I think a harder challenge would be evading as many battles as possible, in otherwords, a low-level game. Thats what Im doing on Yellow, in my 20s and just beat Koga. Sabrina worries me because in this generation Psychic Pokemon have almost no weakness.
---
"...Wouldn't you know, but there was Ramza, just hanging out in outer space." - Nati
#8LiikalaPosted 8/29/2010 6:23:56 PM
Or just play a different game that's designed to be hard.
#9ChaoticArchonPosted 9/12/2010 3:39:30 PM

A REAL Challenge is the One Pokemon, One Gym Challenge.

1. Start with your starter.
2. Use that starter until you beat the first Gym Leader.
3. After the 1st gym, immediately catch another pokemon from anywhere you want (It has to be the very first one you see), but do not fight any trainers.
4. Right after catching another pokemon, release your starter. Use only the pokemon you caught until the 2nd Gym.
5. After the 2nd gym, catch another pokemon. (no trainer fights) Release your last pokemon.
6. Repeat. (Yes, you have to release and catch another pokemon after the 8th gym.)
Also, be reasonable. If youre using Red, dont fight Brock, then Sabrina, then Erika, etc. Fight a Gym as soon as you can.
7. You can have only 2 HM Slaves. Don't use these in battle AT ALL. (Not even for Revive sacrifice. So box it when fighting the gym.)

No resetting because you got a Caterpie instead of Pikachu after facing Brock.

Get ready... Dodgeball!