Better on a....

#1xXhakuhyouXxPosted 3/16/2011 4:49:53 PM
So, I have a Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Player on Gamecube, and can play Pokemon games on Pokemon Stadium on my Nintendo 64. Once, I played my Pokemon Blue on my cousin's original Game Boy.
My world was rocked by the seemingly strange charm of the 8-Bit black and white graphics.
So, I just bought a Game Boy. I can't wait to play it on there again!!!
See, Game Boy Color's black and white palette just isn't the same (Press left and B when you turn the GBC on and the Game Boy screen comes up). And, the GBA and GBA SP have a different sized screen, so it can be either stretched, or kept the original size, but with all this black space around it (Really annoying to me... I'm a control-freak, though.). But, the Game Boy? That's how it was meant to be!!!
Anyone agree? Or is it just me?
#2GunbladeladPosted 3/17/2011 1:16:03 PM
I'm another person that regularly plays the games on a monochrome Game Boy, although I tend to use a Game Boy Pocket, rather than the GB Classic - largely due to a clearer screen, and the need for only 2 AAA batteries compared to 4 AA batteries. However, if I'm sitting in the living room while in the mood to play, I'll dig out my Super Game Boy cartridge and slot the game in.

The biggest drawback to the original Gameboy (and the GB Pocket to a lesser degree) is a "blurring" effect when screens scroll. This does also occur on the GBA and SP to a very minor degree (due to the nature of the screen, but you'll need a sharp eye to spot it...)

On the Super Game Boy, Pokemon Stadium games and Game Boy Player you won't see the blurring effect, as it's on a TV set.
---
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming
#3DAH_JoePosted 3/17/2011 1:42:48 PM
I think the best way to play it is either on a Computer or on a Game Boy Advance SP with the color settings to Red, Blue, and Yellow...which is down on teh dpad.
---
Check profile for contacts.
#4ReploidAXZPosted 3/20/2011 9:45:53 AM
Wouldn't it work on a DS? I play all GB games on my DS the screen is lit up 100 times better, failing that i'll use either my Super Game Boy, a Snez cartidge you put the GB game in and play it on a Snez controler on a TV or just play on my TGB dual emulator on the PC.

The emulator is the best, but least sporting.
#5DAH_JoePosted 3/20/2011 10:50:31 AM
No, for some stupid reason Nintendo didn't allow the DS to made use to play the old GB and GBC games...sadly.
---
#6FuzzyJelloPosted 3/27/2011 2:58:41 PM
I won't deny that I enjoy the original Game Boy models immensely, despite having never owned either of them.
---
Kirby's Epic Yearn
Regal is a sexy mofo and I wish I were half as manly as him. He is ALWAYS RELEVANT.- Ryuu Akamatsu
#7PirwzwhomperPosted 3/30/2011 6:20:50 PM
My GBP is my favorite.
---
(^_^) <-- the Prophet Mohammad // APM is SC2's GearScore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Pirwzwhomper/C-Hheh.jpg
#8GunbladeladPosted 3/31/2011 4:35:01 AM
Agreed - the Pocket is the newest addition to my collection, but it's by far the best one IMO, and it fits best into a pocket, rather than bulging out like the Color.
---
#9TheNewEraIconPosted 4/1/2011 12:56:03 AM

DAH_Joe posted...
No, for some stupid reason Nintendo didn't allow the DS to made use to play the old GB and GBC games...sadly.
---

This. They REALLY should have taken that sort of thing into consideration...

I'm tempted to buy an SP just so I can play this again 8)

#10GunbladeladPosted 4/1/2011 5:50:42 AM
They did - full backwards compatibility was deemed to be too power intensive and expensive. Cheaper and more reliable to cut a feature almost nobody would've used.

If anyone wants to play GB/GBC games on the DS, then there's various "homebrew" options for those that are illegally inclined. However, the technology required to do so (aka - Flashcards or SD card loaders like the R4 cards) is illegal to buy or sell across Europe.
---