How is it determine which Pokemon you get when you fish?

#1Oak_TeaPosted 8/30/2011 9:06:21 PM
As I understand it, the Old Rod nets you a level 5 Magikarp, and never anything else.
The Good Rod and the Super Rod only determine level, if I recall correctly.
The species of Pokemon available are determined by location...what can be found where?
---
Now playing: Pokemon Red (Black/White), The Beatles: Rock Band, Earthbound (1.5x enemy stats/hard mode hack)
#2VehekPosted 8/31/2011 7:56:08 PM
Actually, in RBY, the Good Rod only nets level 10 Goldeen and Poliwag.

How much detail do you want?
#3Oak_Tea(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 8:04:28 PM
After a little bit of more direct research, it seems that there's no good way to determine which Pokemon you'll find where. Routes in close proximity to each other have very similar (if not identical) Pokemon to catch, and there are also Pokemon who show up together often (Shellder and Krabby, Goldeen and Magikarp), but there's no simple way to know.

Unless you have a guide by your side, of course. =)
---
Now playing: Pokemon Red (Black/White), The Beatles: Rock Band, Earthbound (1.5x enemy stats/hard mode hack)
#4Oak_Tea(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 8:10:26 PM
Ahh, thanks for the reply! I didn't know that. =)

I was wondering what kinds of patterns, if any, there were to which Pokemon are found where when fishing.
Does the Good Rod also catch Dratini, by any chance?
---
#5Ki_cat_Posted 9/4/2011 8:18:03 PM
I believe only super rods catch Dratini but don't quote me on that. Either way, it's all random numbers but you happen to only get a chance to get a couple of pokemon
---
People are afraid of what they don't understand.
#6gjdsjPosted 9/11/2011 8:00:56 AM
Does the Good Rod also catch Dratini, by any chance?

Nope, it's as Vehek said, just level 10 Goldeen and Poliwag.