Rate my team.

#1pojrPosted 12/11/2011 11:19:42 AM
Lets say they're all level 100. They're not really, but I plan to raise them to that level.

Starmie

Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Recover

Pinsir

Swords Dance
Hyper Beam
Submission
Slash

Chansey

Seismic Toss
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Softboiled

Gyarados

Hyper Beam
Fire Blast
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt

Dragonite

Hyper Beam
Fly
Thunder Wave
Surf

Cloyster

Clamp
Spike Cannon
Ice Beam
Explosion

I think there are too many water types. Someone that knows Thunderbolt will be able to annihilate three of my Pokemon and dent Pinsir heavily.

I also have a Jolteon (Thunderbolt, Double Kick, Pin Missile, Thunder Wave) but I'm not sure if he would be an asset or not.

Here's what I'm thinking about doing in order to improve my team:

1. Replacing a Pokemon with Jolteon, therefore improving Dragonite's moveset by getting rid of Thunder Wave and replacing it with something better since Jolteon is faster and already knows Thunder Wave.

2. Getting rid of one of the water types, most likely Cloyster since it's the worst of the three.

3. I might replace one of my Pokemon with anyone that can learn Earthquake, like Dugtrio, Charizard or maybe Tauros.

4. I thought about not adding Jolteon and, instead, replacing one of Starmie's moves with Thunder Wave, but I'm not sure because he's a big threat to opponents the way he is.

Anyone got any good ideas?
---
pojr [poh-ger] - Dignity, the feeling of hope, and turning over a new leaf.
#2anti_danPosted 12/11/2011 2:06:03 PM
So, you certainly identified some weaknesses, but not nearly enough of them.

I don't know what your underlying goals are with this team but it has quite a bit of problems if you are trying to go competitive.

Starmie and Chansey are your best pokemon, standard movesets have Thunderwave, but going more offensive is fine if that is part of your team's goal.

Pinsir is a bad pokemon, if you want to keep him, fine, but don't expect much.

I don't particularly like your last 3 pokemon either, but they are decent in many ways. Gyrados dies easily to Thunderbolt, Cloyser is alright but not that great, and Dragonite with fly makes no sense. I would recommend some more psychic pokemon to replace one of them and a Tauros would certainly improve the team, as would a Snorlax or Golem.
#3pojr(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2011 4:20:25 PM
My goal is mainly offensive, but I like to go first in battle, therefore most of my Pokemon are fast. I also try not to be too generic and pick all the popular Pokemon, but sometimes I can't help it.

Fly is for Gengar because I don't have any ground types to counter one. Plus it's a STAB move.

The only reason I have Cloyster on my team is because he looks awesome. His defense is really high, but it's not worth it because of his terrible HP, so yeah I agree that he's not very good.

I don't think Pinsir is that bad. He's pretty good for a bug type; 125 attack, 100 defense and decent speed. I only added him to my team because no one else uses him, going back to what I said about not being generic. I might switch him out with someone else though.

I doubt I'm going to switch out Gyarados because he's strong. He could be used last when all the electric types on the other side are down.

Are there any good psychic types besides Alakazam?
---
#4GunbladeladPosted 12/12/2011 12:36:35 AM
Remember that most bug types, including Pinsir, don't get any viable STAB attacks. Given your Pinsir's moves, you'd be far better using something like Tauros (which does get STAB for it's normal type attacks)

The only bug that learns a viable bug-type attack is Beedrill with Twineedle, but to use that well, you need good prediction skills, and preperation, while hoping that your opponent doesn't realise what you're doing. A second option if you absolutely must have a bug in your party could possibly be one that learns both Swords Dance & Leech Life - such as Parasect.

Since you're going for a pure offensive squad, I'll have to suggest ditching the bugs, as they'll only hold your team back (Yes, the resident Beedrill guy's advising someone to ditch the bugs...)
---
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming
#5LiikalaPosted 12/12/2011 7:36:24 PM
Starmie

Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Recover

Pretty standard stuff.

Pinsir

Swords Dance
Hyper Beam
Submission
Slash

Good set, but Pinsir is kind of ehh. I'd suggest using Body Slam over Slash.

Chansey

Seismic Toss
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Softboiled

Seismic Toss is somewhat limited and Thunder Wave is better.

Gyarados

Hyper Beam
Fire Blast
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt

Fire Blast is for.....? Otherwise, this is pretty good, though Surf may be better. Gyarados kind of sucks though.

Dragonite

Hyper Beam
Fly
Thunder Wave
Surf

Dragonite doesn't learn Fly in RBY, and if you're playing with tradebacks, I'd suggest changing your entire team. Surf is kind of bad for Dragonite. I'd suggest Body Slam/Blizzard or Agility/Wrap.

Cloyster

Clamp
Spike Cannon
Ice Beam
Explosion

Spike Cannon is trash, use Double-Edge or Hyper Beam. Also, Blizzard may be more appealing than Ice Beam.

I think there are too many water types. Someone that knows Thunderbolt will be able to annihilate three of my Pokemon and dent Pinsir heavily.

Get a Golem or change your team then.

I also have a Jolteon (Thunderbolt, Double Kick, Pin Missile, Thunder Wave) but I'm not sure if he would be an asset or not.

Definitely, and that's a superb set.

1. Replacing a Pokemon with Jolteon, therefore improving Dragonite's moveset by getting rid of Thunder Wave and replacing it with something better since Jolteon is faster and already knows Thunder Wave.

Having Thunder Wave on multiple Pokemon isn't bad, and actually recommended.

2. Getting rid of one of the water types, most likely Cloyster since it's the worst of the three.

Cloyster is good, Gyarados is by far the worst of the three.

3. I might replace one of my Pokemon with anyone that can learn Earthquake, like Dugtrio, Charizard or maybe Tauros.

Tauros definitely, and most definitely not Charizard. The idea is to take care of your Thunderbolt problem, and Charizard doesn't help.

4. I thought about not adding Jolteon and, instead, replacing one of Starmie's moves with Thunder Wave, but I'm not sure because he's a big threat to opponents the way he is.

Why not do both?

6/10
#6pojr(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2011 5:40:20 PM
gunbladelad77 posted...
A second option if you absolutely must have a bug in your party could possibly be one that learns both Swords Dance & Leech Life - such as Parasect.

Yeah, Parasect is garbage, even with a STAB bug move. Beedrill wouldn't work either because he's extremely fragile, but Tauros would probably work quite well. The only problem with Tauros is that he's hard to find in RBY. I'll probably have to trade one from Gold.
---
#7pojr(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2011 4:20:21 PM
I have another question about Jolteon. I thought of an interesting set.

Thunder Wave
Sand-Attack
Thunderbolt
Rest

Is the above recommended? This set is meant to spread paralysis. Sand-Attack is for stalling, Rest is for clearing paralysis and other status ailments on Jolteon.

When I play Pokemon Stadium with my friend, it's easy to predict a switch since the list of his Pokemon is summoned , therefore, that set would work great. However, I understand it's a lot harder to predict a switch in competitive battle.
---
#8GunbladeladPosted 12/18/2011 5:50:41 PM
Jolteon doesn't really have the durability to take hits while using Rest, and any reduction in accuracy from Sand Attack is countered by a simple switch anyway.

I suppose you could use Thunder Wave then Sand attack to force your opponent to switch in order to be able to hit reliably, but aside from that it's use will be minimal.

Most of the competitive RBY battlers now go to the "RBY2k10" site, and they'll be more than willing to do ratings, and even help you test your teams using stuff like Netbattle.

In fact, testing a team against a skilled opponent on Netbattle is a good way to see if it'll work before you train it up ingame. However, as the registry is down, you'll need to know the server addresses - you'll find them listed on the RBY2K10 site anyway.
---
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming
#9MaskedSheikPosted 12/20/2011 4:17:22 PM
He's pretty good for a bug type
A second option if you absolutely must have a bug in your party
Are there any good psychic types besides Alakazam?

I see this thinking a lot, where people feel compelled to put X type on their team. It perplexes me to no end. Why do you need a Bug or a Psychic? Well, you don't, you just think it'd be kinda cool. That's sloppy team-making.

I also try not to be too generic and pick all the popular Pokemon, but sometimes I can't help it.

Yeah but strategically Pinsir is just as generic as anything. Well actually it doesn't function the way you've built it, because Slash prevents the attack bonuses of Swords Dance from working. But once you get it working it just does what any physical Normal does, but worse. You don't get style points for running a poor man's Tauros instead of Tauros.

You should focus on learning how RBY works before fretting about being original or making a pretty team. I agree with gunbladelad77--play on Netbattle. That'll teach you much more than we can with words.

As for this team, it can't hurt to try it out for a few online battles, but if you want to make a good team you'll have to start from scratch.
---
What I think is the really dangerous approach is the "let's be artistic" attitude. I know that artistry just happens. ~Fred Astaire