The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This board is why I made my GameFAQs account

#1TimpyPosted 2/19/2013 12:54:33 AM
I found GameFAQs about 10 years ago and used it for its guides. Using online resources to beat games was a new idea for me at the time. I eventually found myself on boards, and eventually this board. I didn't have a GBA at the time so I spent my time on the Pokemon Red/Blue board (they were joint at the time).

I got into Netbattle and eventually made some friends here. Pokemon was a big deal to me. This board was a big deal to me. I don't think any of the people that were there then are still here today. I don't really remember their names anyways. I remember Redwall Dude... STS... Jolt (I think that's the alt account of the RJones guide creator). There were definitely more. I think Redwall had a Bluewall alt account, and another alt under the name Gunblade if I recall correctly.

If any of you dudes pass by here and see this, I want to say thanks. You guys are like the Gym Leaders of my wide eyed younger self, leaving home with my starter pokemon for the first time.
#2StSPosted 2/19/2013 10:41:46 AM
I'm still here! =P I made my account because of this board, too. In fact, Boongee helped me make my account, because GFaqs wouldn't accept my email. Gunbladelad, if that's who you're thinking of, was not Redwall Dude's alt. If anything, GBL still pops by here once in a while.

Also, just to point out that I was never a good player; average maybe. =P I did have some very high hax rates for some reason, though. I remember outhaxing Lesm at one point.
---
Sandal that Stinks
#3Timpy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 8:33:46 PM
Holy crap I can't believe anybody is still here, let alone one of the names I still remember! Wow, this is nuts. It was Gunbladelad that I remembered. Some of the other names you mentioned jogged my memory too. Wasn't there an RPG Brandon that was here too?

I distinctly remember getting schooled by you guys right out of the gate. As soon as I got my account I was pumped to talk Pokemon, somebody asked for a Raichu set and I posted something like:
"Thunderbolt
Thunderwave
Tail Whip
Thunder

You have to keep in mind, lowering stats pays off in a few turns"

You guys kindly (and Redwall Dude not so kindly, but he was justified) showed me how foolish I was. Even if you weren't that good STS I'm sure you were keeping up with the meta in some ways, and it definitely helped me.

So uh, what's your pokemon career look like now?
#4StSPosted 2/20/2013 3:10:21 AM
Hahahaha, love that set. =P

Yeah, RPGBrandon, Metal Mew, shallow man; and countless people before my time (I joined fairly late, actually). I haven't played in ages; last I played was a few games last year. Now I just barely get through the games, and that's it. The metagame has evolved way too much for me to get back into it without studying for a long time, and few people still play RBY (though there is a community that concentrates solely on RBY: http://www.rby2k10.proboards.com/ ). GGFan frequents it (or at least did the last time I was there...), if you happen to remember him as well.
---
Sandal that Stinks
#5GunbladeladPosted 2/20/2013 6:49:10 AM
Always nice to see someone else who remembers this board when it was just "Pokemon" (the split came after Fire Red & leaf Green got announced - "Pokemon" got renamed to "Pokemon Blue", while Red had a new board made just for it)

As StS mentioned, I was never an alt of anyone else's (despite some accusations from a user who kept picking fights with the board that I won't name) - however, for a while I did use the name "Nighteyes" while using a friend's connection (Asakura actually posted the sticky topic for me on the red & Yellow boards after I sent him the text file as my friend was having connection issues the day we posted it.)

As StS mentioned, RBY2K10 is the place to go if you want to look into competitive battling. As that was never my field (I was always ingame advice & battling for fun) I'm not a regular there, but I do look in from time to time
---
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming
#6Timpy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 6:16:20 PM
Wow I totally remember Metal Mew, shallow man, and GGFan. This is making me so nostalgic. I feel like Bluewall posted the original 20 FAQ topic that we just had to keep bumped because there was no sticky then. I can't remember if it was 20 or 25 questions at the time. This is where I first learned the Mew glitch. The technique sounds just as absurd as most of the rumored Mew catching methods so nobody believed me at first. I had a pokemon blue cartridge saved in Cerulean City with an Abra on hand to demonstrate the glitch at any given moment.

How do you guys remember the old members so well? Did everybody hang around long after I did? I ended up getting a GCN and getting into Melee super hard, I lost touch with this board.
#7Mr_GGFanPosted 2/20/2013 6:34:30 PM(edited)
Excuse me?

Edit: Yes, I remember your name.

As for RBY2K10, I was a regular there a couple of years ago (I won its first tournament), but I don't play that much these days. At the end of 2012, I played many ladder games on PO and reached #2 with two usernames, but didn't have the motivation to keep playing.

After RBY died on GameFAQs, I made my own RBY community, THE Alternative, which actually lasted quite a while. I also won many tournaments in the South American and European circuits, as well on many Netbattle servers. In particular, I spent four years in the German circuit, where, in 2008, I became the first and only player to have won a major tournament in every generation on the same calendar year. Although I no longer compete in the German circuit, I still frequent Pokefans to this day.
---
I love not to be constrained to love; for love must only arise of the heart's self, and not by no constraint. - Lancelot
#87th_Sign_Posted 2/21/2013 12:11:29 AM
I still check in about once a year. I don't have any accomplishments with pokemon, I just argued with GGfan about absolutely nothing LOL. Good times, buddy. Hope you're doing well my friend.
#9StSPosted 2/21/2013 5:59:41 AM
How do you guys remember the old members so well? Did everybody hang around long after I did? I ended up getting a GCN and getting into Melee super hard, I lost touch with this board.

Well... This board and its community was a LARGE part of my life, so naturally, I hung around here and NetBattle a lot. Also, I stayed in touch with Metal Mew for some time afterwards on the Fire Emblem board, and was generally a bit closer to RPGBrandon and shallow man. I was also quite close to Red Comet Sazabi until he disappeared; wonder what happened to him.
---
Sandal that Stinks
#10Mr_GGFanPosted 2/21/2013 6:31:13 AM
David Kirk.
---
I love not to be constrained to love; for love must only arise of the heart's self, and not by no constraint. - Lancelot