The effects of discipline and happiness on digimon

#1greedlustPosted 3/11/2010 4:43:32 PM
what I want to do here is see if anyone can really tell me how much digimon are effected by their discipline and happiness. Im aware that it can increase their lifespan and lower stat requirements for your digimons evolution, however I never see any guides that go in depth about it. Many guides even dismiss these gauges as unimportant and say they hardly effect your digimon, but based on my ventures though the game this is not the case...

Example:
I had a Coelamon that i use for a lot of the story that turned into a Megaseadramon even though it had mediocre stats at best and its weight was on the low side. The only actual good thing about this Coelamon was that he had 100% happiness and discipline, in fact I was counting down the hours till he would die so I could chose a new digimon (lol I did a double-take when i realized what happened). I tried to train my way up to this digimon several times ending in failure.

Based on this i can only assume it was these two meters that changed the parameters for the digivmon's evolution. Also this was not the only case, the same thing happened with my friend who got a MetalGreymon from Tyranomon and my other friend who started out with a crappy Sukamon and got a Crappy Phoenixmon. I suppose what I really want is for people to tell me anything they know about happiness and discipline or gimme a link to a guide if there is one.
#2tiomastaPosted 3/11/2010 5:07:20 PM
Happiness increases your lifespan. From what I've seen, that's all it does.
Higher discipline lowers the chances of your digimon refusing to use an item. There's a guide that says that higher discipline lowers your lifespan, but apparently that's not true.

Happiness and discipline do not seem to affect digivolutions, unless the bonus condition involves them(like MetalMamemon's, 95% happiness or more).

got a MetalGreymon from Tyranomon

MetalGreymon's bonus condition is 30 battles or more, very easy to get even if you don't want to. I got a crappy Greymon turn into a MetalGreymon with that.

and my other friend who started out with a crappy Sukamon and got a Crappy Phoenixmon.

You can't start with a Sukamon...
Phoenixmon is also another digimon which people aren't sure about the minimum stats, but a friend of mine got it and he said the stats his Angemon had weren't that high.
---
There are three types of people in the world: people that can count, and people that can't.
#3Ace ArcadiaPosted 3/11/2010 5:53:27 PM
MetalGreymon's bonus condition is 30 battles or more, very easy to get even if you don't want to. I got a crappy Greymon turn into a MetalGreymon with that.

Do battles count if you run away? Or only if you win?
---
Love is temporary. Video games are forever.
#4RelvamonPosted 3/11/2010 11:42:41 PM

I could make an in-depth guide about the mechanics of DW1, but the gauges does not really influence digivolution purposes. MegaSeadramon is rather easy to obtain, but its always good to maintain 100% happiness and discipline for other reasons.

Happiness would probably control two things. Firstly and the most important is its lifespan. Keep the gauge at 100% and it should most likely to its optimum, since any care mistake will probably lower it. Happiness could also affect if your Digimon will get sick in inappropiate climates. I've heard some posts here saying that their Digimon falls ill in cold/hot places if the smiley emote shows 'unhappiness', but I myself never experienced it (Apart from the Frigimon quest) since I try to maintain it at 100%, so the happiness gauge might have something to do with it.

Discipline affects how well your Digimon responds you when you feed/give it something. The higher your discipline, the more inclined your Digimon would be to accepting your items. Discipline, in my opinion, also affects how long it can hold onto its 'poop'. The higher it is, the longer it seems to hold onto it. A full discipline gauge can even make him hold onto it for slightly more than 1 hour, so I believe it helps.

Discipline is said to be bonus conditions to getting certain digivolutions from past guides, but it really does not affect much at all. It might only be necessary and easier if you want to get a Devimon from Angemon, or SkullGreymon from MetalGreymon, whereby it should be below 50% discipline and after losing a heart from a losing battle.

For the bouns condition in battles, I believe that its better to win the battles but always better to ask the guys that mentioned this battle bonus condition in their guides lawl.

#5tiomastaPosted 3/12/2010 1:28:07 AM
Do battles count if you run away? Or only if you win?

Don't know, the guides didn't say that. Would make more sense if it only counts your wins.
---
There are three types of people in the world: people that can count, and people that can't.
#6Med_Jai(Moderator)Posted 3/12/2010 7:49:45 AM
That is a good question though about running away from battles. In my experience it doesn't seem to count but that doesn't mean anything.
---
Maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.
#7greedlust(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2010 3:22:18 PM
Thanks for the info its helped greatly... Sorry if I made it unclear before tiomasta, but fyi my friend didnt literally start with a sukamon, that was just the champion he ended up with. lol