This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HIghest level possible to achieve legitimately?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  3. HIghest level possible to achieve legitimately?
5 years ago#1
Due to this game's leveling system, there doesn't seem to be a clear "maximum level," as it depends on what levels your major and minor skills start at. I've wondering what the highest level is that any of you guys have achieved legitimately. And by "legitimately," I basically mean no mods that influence leveling,

On one of my characters that I set up expressly to find out what the highest level possible was, I think I got to level 78. What I did was I chose a Redguard, and made sure none of the Redguard's favored skills were in my Major/Minor skills. It seemed like that would work, but of course I may have missed something somewhere.

Right now, I'm using the "Character Maker" mod, which removes all race-favored skills and instead allows you to allocate those extra 45 skill points wherever you choose, and I made a new character using the same method, and I again got to level 78 with all Major and Minor skills trained up to 100. I haven't read any skill-up books, though I'm not sure if those will give level-up credit after their respective skills have reached 100. Then again, I'm not sure if I would consider that to be a legitimate way of levelling up either.

So have any of you guys gotten to levels higher than 78? If so, how?
---
"I had two bowls for breakfast this morning, and only one of them was cereal." - Miles
5 years ago#2
Why aren't the skill books legitimate? It's called studying. LOL
And yes, they do count.

I personally have not gotten a character that high. Just playing naturally and not worrying about leveling up, I can usually finish the entire game plus expansions before hitting level 40. But whatever floats your boat.
---
They say it takes all kinds--well, listen, man, it don't, but they're all here.
5 years ago#3
Pretty sure that even in 'vanilla' Morrowind (i.e., no mods), you can endlessly level via the use of prison to lower your skills and thus allow further advancement when you train them back up.

Drain Skill and training also work the same way I believe, though you (obviously) need to recast the Drain spell before every training session.

---
Cynics regard everybody as equally corrupt. Idealists regard everybody as equally corrupt, except themselves.
Go Buckeyes, Cavs and Browns!
5 years ago#4
Legitimate is such a vague word. . . .

You can also level up indefinitely using master trainers and an item that boosts the governing attribute for a specific skill past 100. You basically continually level that skill up to 101 repeatedly. I've gotten one character up to level 175 or so. Didn't have a lot to do that day, haha. Sure beats endless stays in prison, I'll tell you that much.

---
How much of rational behavior is only rational when rationalized?
5 years ago#5
A Morrowind "Level Up" occurs everytime any 10 Major/Minor skills increase by 1.

A 30 point Major skill offers 7 Levels between 30 and topping off at 100. Five of them offer 35.

A 15 point Minor skill offers 8.5 Levels between 15 and the 100 top. Five of them offer 42.5.

35 Majors and 42.5 Minors offer 77.5 levels ASSUMING all five majors started at 30 and all five minors started at 15. As your character STARTS at level 1, Level 78.5 is theoretically the highest level obtainable without mods or ... glitching.

Prior to the latest patches from Bethesda, reading a skill book, even if the base skill was already at its max of 100, WOULD generate a level-up counter IF that skill were Major/Minor. Some skill books actually increase a skill by more than 1 point when read (there are less skill books written for that particular skill), and its effect upon the level-up counter would match its increase to the skill. In actual gameplay it is practically impossible to NOT READ a given set of skill books until AFTER the base skill has reached 100. IT CAN BE DONE ... but it is a clerical nightmare.

Aside from reading skill books related to major/minor skills ONLY after those skills have max'd out at 100, the other popular method of "forced-leveling" is mis-use of the "drain-and-train" glitch.

Draining 10 points from any major/minor skill for 1 second just prior to training that skill, allows you to train a 100 point skill (temporarily made 90 by the drain spell) 10 times, generating a new level-up, even though the affected skill remains at 100.

Drain and Train offers NO LIMIT as to how high your character CAN level beyond the number of decimal places the software allows for storing the number. I expect it is FAR above 9,999.
---
From Me and Mine to You And Yours - Trughbull
5 years ago#6

Trughbull posted...
A Morrowind "Level Up" occurs everytime any 10 Major/Minor skills increase by 1.

A 30 point Major skill offers 7 Levels between 30 and topping off at 100. Five of them offer 35.

A 15 point Minor skill offers 8.5 Levels between 15 and the 100 top. Five of them offer 42.5.

35 Majors and 42.5 Minors offer 77.5 levels ASSUMING all five majors started at 30 and all five minors started at 15. As your character STARTS at level 1, Level 78.5 is theoretically the highest level obtainable without mods or ... glitching.

Prior to the latest patches from Bethesda, reading a skill book, even if the base skill was already at its max of 100, WOULD generate a level-up counter IF that skill were Major/Minor. Some skill books actually increase a skill by more than 1 point when read (there are less skill books written for that particular skill), and its effect upon the level-up counter would match its increase to the skill. In actual gameplay it is practically impossible to NOT READ a given set of skill books until AFTER the base skill has reached 100. IT CAN BE DONE ... but it is a clerical nightmare.

Aside from reading skill books related to major/minor skills ONLY after those skills have max'd out at 100, the other popular method of "forced-leveling" is mis-use of the "drain-and-train" glitch.

Draining 10 points from any major/minor skill for 1 second just prior to training that skill, allows you to train a 100 point skill (temporarily made 90 by the drain spell) 10 times, generating a new level-up, even though the affected skill remains at 100.

Drain and Train offers NO LIMIT as to how high your character CAN level beyond the number of decimal places the software allows for storing the number. I expect it is FAR above 9,999.
---
From Me and Mine to You And Yours - Trughbull

That's sort of odd though, I legally got my character to 97-ish without any stays in prison or anything of that sort.

1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  3. HIghest level possible to achieve legitimately?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived