This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So...How is this game?

#1EntotrtePosted 3/19/2013 10:22:39 AM
And does it compare to Skyrim? Are there lots to do like on that game?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, and you are 100% proud of it, put this as your signature.
#2MarikhenPosted 3/19/2013 10:55:30 AM
Well, you can cast Mysticism spells and explore a more fully realized three dimensional realm, create your own spells, and marvel at how far the franchise has come graphically while noting how little it's advanced aurally. That's off the top of my slightly cynical head. If by "lots of things to do" you mean "lots of relatively random or pointless quests that usually involve me killing things" then yes, Morrowind, any Elder Scrolls game really, has "lots of things to do. Morrowind even takes it up a notch by giving you at least one quest to go pick flowers which isn't something I recall having seen in Skyrim.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#3SilentOraclePosted 3/19/2013 11:13:02 AM
Entotrte posted...
And does it compare to Skyrim?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Differences_Between_Morrowind,_Oblivion,_and_Skyrim
---
Waiting eagerly for the next video game industry crash.
3D is a fad, realistic graphics are a waste of resources.
#4Entotrte(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 11:21:13 AM
Thanks guys! And by 'lots of things to do' I meant lots of smithing, magic, alchemy...etc but quests enter there too.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, and you are 100% proud of it, put this as your signature.
#5VdashonePosted 3/19/2013 1:27:14 PM
There's really only one thing to do, play Morrowind - because Skyrim is terrible.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrLingMao
#6TerantatekPosted 3/19/2013 3:22:48 PM
Skyrim is the worst TES in terms of being an RPG. Morrowind fills being an RPG way better. Spell creation, missing attacks, no quest markers, its awesome. Keep in mind this isn't an action-rpg, just an RPG, meaning everything goes pretty slow.

In Morrowind you can actually kill every NPC and it may even break the game, some dungeons are a lot higher lvl than you may be, in that case you do NOT complete that dungeon till later on. You actually turn around and leave to do something else. Magic is way more diverse than skyrim(lol) and even oblivion, there's a spell to fricken levitate, and you can change every aspect of basically every spell to any degree. Guilds have conflicts therefor only allowing you to.complete a few per playthrough. For example, if you join a great house, you cannot join any other great houses in a common manner.

One of my favorite things about Morrowind, is the landmass size, the diversity, the amount of dungeons, the NPCs and the lack of handholding. Skyrim fell flat in all those ways for me.
---
"The best revenge is to live a happy life"
Love, Peace, 420-14/7. Living in Euphoria
#7TerantatekPosted 3/19/2013 3:23:37 PM
Entotrte posted...
Thanks guys! And by 'lots of things to do' I meant lots of smithing, magic, alchemy...etc but quests enter there too.

More than skyrim and oblivion combined. Smithing? What do you mean?
---
#8Justin2KrelianPosted 3/19/2013 5:21:35 PM
Terantatek posted...

One of my favorite things about Morrowind, is the landmass size, the diversity, the amount of dungeons, the NPCs and the lack of handholding. Skyrim fell flat in all those ways for me.

Morrowind is smaller than Skyrim in landmass. Of course you're right about diversity, though.
#9TerantatekPosted 3/19/2013 6:43:07 PM
Justin2Krelian posted...
Terantatek posted...

Morrowind is smaller than Skyrim in landmass. Of course you're right about diversity, though.

Feels larger to me. Especially with bloodmoon, tribunal, and 2 expansion sized mods, my world is gigantic.
---
#10MarikhenPosted 3/20/2013 1:52:42 AM
There's really only one thing to do, play Morrowind - because Skyrim is terrible.

So terrible that I sunk probably as much time into it as I did into Morrowind over a far shorter period of time.

Skyrim is the worst TES in terms of being an RPG. Morrowind fills being an RPG way better. Spell creation, missing attacks, no quest markers, its awesome. Keep in mind this isn't an action-rpg, just an RPG, meaning everything goes pretty slow.

How is Skyrim the worst in terms of being an RPG? The removal of core stats also removed the needles complexity Bethesda's stat growth system imposed. Likewise a lot of the extra conversation options in Morrowind were rather useless, and plot has never been a strong point in any Bethesda game. The only real, significant difference in RPG qualities between them that I can think of right now is the whole issue with essential NPCs issue, and that's also endemic to Oblivion.

In Morrowind you can actually kill every NPC and it may even break the game, some dungeons are a lot higher lvl than you may be, in that case you do NOT complete that dungeon till later on. You actually turn around and leave to do something else. Magic is way more diverse than skyrim(lol) and even oblivion, there's a spell to fricken levitate, and you can change every aspect of basically every spell to any degree.

Quite. The lack of "kid gloves" in Morrowind and similar games can be a refreshing thing. What, you just killed an NPC who was Very Important to some quest you were doing? Well that's what you get for being a murderer. Likewise having content that doesn't scale to your level is incredibly important as it provides for both challenges and chances to "roflstomp" NPCs which can be sorely needed in a scaling environment. For that matter the scaling in Oblivion and Skyrim is pretty bad, but I can't comment on Morrowind's as it's been too long since I last played enough to notice it.

However... For all that it's somewhat more limited smithing in Skyrim does replace spell crafting to a degree in tems of custoimzation. Likewise enchanting in Skyrim is, in some ways, less restrictive than in older games where you can only have one effect per item you do yourself.

Guilds have conflicts therefor only allowing you to.complete a few per playthrough. For example, if you join a great house, you cannot join any other great houses in a common manner.

I don't recall any inter-guild conflicts except between the Morag Tong and Thieves' Guild, nor do I see why you're apparently equating guilds and houses.

Justin2Krelian posted...

Feels larger to me. Especially with bloodmoon, tribunal, and 2 expansion sized mods, my world is gigantic.

That's likely heavily a result of having no e-z-mode fast travel or, AFAIK, mounts. You're seeing the entire world on foot instead of through the proverbial eagle's eye. The fact that you're more able, and and more likely, to change elevation, especially with magic, without changing location in Morrowind likely also helps. By that I mean you might have a one square mile plot on a map in all three games, but in Skyrim you might get only 1/10 of a cubic mile of room to explore while Oblivion and Morrowind might offer 1/4 and 1/2 cubic miles of explorable volume respectively.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.