This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So...How is this game?

#51SenorGauntletPosted 4/19/2013 5:10:51 AM
Demiverse posted...
Omitting weapon skills was where they crossed the line, IMO.

This. This this this. I can deal with no more athletics/acrobatics/mysticism/whatever, but when you start telling me that my dual axe wielding pro nord can pick up a sword and shield and be just as unstoppable is when I start to call shenanigans.
---
Hail, hail Freedonia.
#52LegaultTheAssassin2Posted 4/19/2013 8:15:59 AM
I dunno man, I like my Mysticism. No reason to make soul trap a conjuration spell, you're not "conjuring" anything.
---
He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible - Cao Cao
#53SenorGauntletPosted 4/19/2013 9:19:24 AM
Oh yeah, the loss is felt and felt hard and I see absolutely no reason for it, I'm just saying that my biggest gripe - the only real problem I have with the skill system and cannot and will not forgive - is the insane simplification of weapon proficiency.

I don't really want to go too much into it though because this board still seems full of vitriolic anti-everything-not-Morrowind fanboys and I'd rather not give the impression that I side with them in any way.

That was cool and justified for Oblivion. Oblivion was a very long time ago. We're on Skyrim now, and while it's no Morrowind, it's still a fantastic game in its own right. Shut up, hypothetical omnipresent losers.
---
Hail, hail Freedonia.
#54DemiversePosted 4/19/2013 3:39:18 PM
SenorGauntlet posted...
Shut up, hypothetical omnipresent losers.

Who exactly are you addressing here? I don't see how this relates to the rest of your post...
---
"Don't blame me, blame society!" -Carl Johnson
#55MarikhenPosted 4/19/2013 4:18:07 PM
That was cool and justified for Oblivion. Oblivion was a very long time ago. We're on Skyrim now, and while it's no Morrowind, it's still a fantastic game in its own right. Shut up, hypothetical omnipresent losers.

Who is this "we?" Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

I've been playing the heck out of Oblivion lately myself. I've only spent enough time on Skyrim to learn just how laughably easy "Legendary" difficulty is, and how insanely asinine the restrictions are (by that I mean the near impossibility of melee combat while ranged combat, especially with stealth, is just as broken as ever, and Destruction magic has gone from semi-useful to totally useless along the way) along with that.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#56LegaultTheAssassin2Posted 4/20/2013 8:27:53 PM
Magic has been getting hit since Daggerfall, though from Daggerfall to Morrowind was for the better for the most part.

I assume though for TES 6 Bethesda will remove all magic and you will play a pre determined warrior.
---
He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible - Cao Cao
#57DeathpointPosted 4/21/2013 2:01:32 PM(edited)
Skyrim's combat isn't really even much better if all you do is play spellcasters like me.
#58MarikhenPosted 4/21/2013 2:38:06 PM
Skyrim had some improvements with the dual-casting and some things like the soul sucking perk for bound weapons, but the lack of variety in spells and inexcusable inability to create your own really dragged it down. A lot of the utility in the spells from previous games went un(der)used, but that really, to me at least, makes it more important to consider ways in which they're useful rather than just removing them completely. By that I mean instead of removing drain/absorb/damage personality spells actually allow for it to matter. Make it so that NPC guards don't automatically know who is and isn't a bandit instantly and instead do a personality check and the guards help whoever, you or the bandit, who has the higher personality (modified by fame and infamy of course) to allow for situations where you might actually be legitimately attacked by guards and have to run.

Just to clarify one point, when referring to dual-casting I mean casting two spells at once in general and not the perk effect of casting one spell with both hands. Being able to pair lightning and ice to drain your opponent's health, fatigue, and magicka all at the same time or casting a fire spell on them and a heal on yourself is very nice, and rapid-fire shooting of fireballs out of both hands is just awesome to do, at least on easier "difficulty" levels where Destruction is worth two damns and an oh s***.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#59DemiversePosted 4/21/2013 5:15:51 PM
LegaultTheAssassin2 posted...
I assume though for TES 6 Bethesda will remove all magic and you will play a pre determined warrior.

That's a bit of a stretch. Though Bethesda has been "alienating" die-hard fans with gameplay alterations since Daggerfall, the core philosophy has always been "be whoever you want to be", and they're smart enough not to remove that defining element. Forcing the player into a pre-determined role would be fiscal suicide for the series.
---
"Don't blame me, blame society!" -Carl Johnson
#60Kir__KanosPosted 4/22/2013 10:57:19 AM
Demiverse posted...
Forcing the player into a pre-determined role would be fiscal suicide for the series.

It won't be. It doesn't matter if it's a good RPG to sell, all it matters is if it's a good GAME. Skyrim proved that. Making it less of an RPG sold more ergo - less RPG while making combat better, more voice actors and "epic" moments. I predict in TES6 you'll have the choice to blow up a town in Daggerfall with a nuke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0
This is a good video, aptly titled, that discusses why Oblivion/Skyrim changes are bad in the long run. Not why they're bad games, just why they've completely changed audiences. And he doesn't use arguments like, "console gamers are dummies", or streamlining is bad (ie classes are teh best y beth).
---
http://i.imgur.com/9e7M1.jpg