This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any good leveling mods? Vanilla leveling is atrocious.

#1FerretDruidPosted 4/9/2013 7:15:19 AM(edited)
Yup, so I'm on my 4th or 5th playthrough, and I don't feel like dealing with the stupidity of carefully planning every skill gain to maximize my statistics without wasting skillups.

Is there a leveling mod that more or less eliminates the need to do this?
---
Bear with me... things are about to get grizzly!
Fox is HOT!
#2MustavusPosted 4/9/2013 8:45:04 AM
Look up Galshiah's Character Development. I forget specifically how it works, but iirc it makes leveling up sort of happen in the background based on the skills you level up.
---
...and that's how I came to be known as the Flourescent Haberdasher.
#3DemiversePosted 4/9/2013 11:15:24 AM
Galsiahs is one of the most popular ones, but it's more trouble than it's worth. In its attempt to "fix" the leveling system, it ultimately just replaces the old flaws with new ones. There are safer, simpler alternatives that don't implement as much complex scripting.

One such alternative is Madd Leveler, a relatively straightforward mod. When you raise an attribute's skill a number of times, said attribute automatically raises one point. It allows for more well-rounded progression and eliminates the need for multipliers. Furthermore, you can edit the rate of progression, as well as level caps, fairly easily.
---
"Don't blame me, blame society!" -Carl Johnson
#4Psycho Lu BuPosted 4/9/2013 3:15:16 PM
I left a review on Madd Leveler on PES.

basically I said that the mod is worthless because if you have 123812038198911 Strength (limit is like 4093 though) and some little monster comes along and uses Damage Attribute: Strength on you

there's only one way to recover. You have to use a Restore Attribute skill.

The problem?

Restore Attribute makes your strength go to 99.

You just lost 3994 strength. Yeah. Madd Leveler is trash.

Fact of the matter is: There ARE NO GOOD LEVELING MODS FOR MORROWIND.

deal with it
#5DemiversePosted 4/9/2013 6:36:06 PM
Why would you need 384763495879 strength? The game is unbalanced enough as it is. 99-100 strength is enough of dominate everything Morrowind can throw at you.

The fact is, every leveling mod is going to have issues, since the leveling system is such a significant part of Morrowind's scripting and gameplay. It's simply a matter of balancing the pros and cons of each mod.

Madd Leveler isn't "trash" just because it isn't perfect.
---
"Don't blame me, blame society!" -Carl Johnson
#6Psycho Lu BuPosted 4/10/2013 12:15:19 PM
anything with bugs that can vastly disappoint the person going through the TROUBLE of installing it = trash
#7ChocolatlPosted 4/10/2013 12:17:25 PM
Why do you have to max your statistics? That's really not the point of Morrowind.
---
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.--Mark Twain
#8Kir__KanosPosted 4/11/2013 12:53:42 AM
Chocolatl posted...
Why do you have to max your statistics? That's really not the point of WRPG's.

Partially fixed that for you, but you had it right.

Ultimately it's up to the player as much as I discourage min/maxing. GCD is your best bet. Linora's Leveling Mod also works great as a massive improvement on vanilla while keeping the overall system intact. It's like.....15 variables changed or something crazy but it makes a difference.
---
http://i.imgur.com/9e7M1.jpg
#9FrithPosted 4/11/2013 3:50:27 AM
I prefer GCD as well, mainly because I'm not interested in expending any energy toward level management.
---
Stoe Orkeo!
Sig Delimiter Holocaust 1/30/08 - NEVER FORGET
#10ChocolatlPosted 4/11/2013 9:53:35 AM
I tried leveling mods, and found they made the game pretty dull. So now I just level as I go, and don't worry about maxing stats.

It should be pointed out that there are some mods, such as Lothavor's Legacy, that conflict with leveling mods.
---
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.--Mark Twain