Cannon Spike worth getting?

#1nooitzbenPosted 5/11/2012 11:19:17 PM
It's somewhat hard to find this game anywhere locally and the only places to get this is online..usually it's about 50$ or more but there are a few that are about 40$ right now on Amazon.

I mean the replay value is okay but is it worth getting this game? It's a pretty rare game on Dreamcast. I just wish it wasn't so expensive or maybe it might be a DLC for PS3/XBOX 360 one day.
#2PedroMontanaPosted 5/14/2012 8:35:18 AM
Well, it pretty much costs exactly as much, if not even a little bit less, as when it was released.

Of course it's weir to pay full new retail price for a used 10 year old game.
Also, honestly i don't think think the demand is that high (because everyone who wants it had 10 years of time to buy it) and the supply is that low (as there are always copies available online, and the game did get an official release in all regions).

Watch a video of the game and ask yourself: Does it look like it's fun enough to be worth 40-50$?
I think it does, especially in comparison to many "modern" PSWii60 games that are supposed to be bought for 50-60$, when everyone knows they will be in the bargain bin for 20$ or less a few months later.
---
No More Heroes
#3nooitzben(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2012 2:48:39 AM
I definitely watched a handful of videos of Cannon Spike. It does look fun but just not sure about the price tag. I actually wish this was on PSN/XBOX 360 as a digital download. It's be less expensive and readily available to purchase instead of going around hunting for hard to find Dreamcast games.
#4PedroMontanaPosted 5/16/2012 6:55:19 AM
I don't see a rerelease happen anytime soon. Not on any legal download dervice or any collection.
The only reasonable chance would be if the Wii U had a Dreamcast VC, but knowing the way Nintendo likes to manipulate the pacing of VC and WiiWare games, this would mean you'd have to wait until 2016 or longer.

So in reality, your choices are:

1. Man up and buy it. While it's hard to find at brick'n mortar retailers, there it's always available online.
While the price looks high when you expect it to be cheap because it's old, it's still not more then it originally was and the game did not magically get worse over time.

2. Do what Jack Sparrow, John Silver and Ruffy D. Monkey would do.

3. Forget about CS and look for something else.
Cheaper alternatives on the Dreamcast would be:

Shooters (general):
Bangai-O
Expendable (top down shooter, gameplay is actually similar to Cannon Spike)

Shmup:
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Gunbird 2 (shmup from Psikyo, same developer as Cannon Spike, has Capcom's Morrigan as a guest character)
Mars Matrix (not sure if it's still cheap)

Beat'em ups (have a similar perspective as CS):
Zombie Revenge (for some reason some magazines consider this particularly similar to CS. It's definitely an excellent game anyway)
Dynamite Cop

Capcom crossovers:
Capcom VS SNK 1&2
Marvel VS Capcom 1&2
---
No More Heroes
#5nooitzben(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2012 12:38:48 AM
PedroMontana posted...
I don't see a rerelease happen anytime soon. Not on any legal download dervice or any collection.
The only reasonable chance would be if the Wii U had a Dreamcast VC, but knowing the way Nintendo likes to manipulate the pacing of VC and WiiWare games, this would mean you'd have to wait until 2016 or longer.

So in reality, your choices are:

1. Man up and buy it. While it's hard to find at brick'n mortar retailers, there it's always available online.
While the price looks high when you expect it to be cheap because it's old, it's still not more then it originally was and the game did not magically get worse over time.

2. Do what Jack Sparrow, John Silver and Ruffy D. Monkey would do.

3. Forget about CS and look for something else.
Cheaper alternatives on the Dreamcast would be:

Shooters (general):
Bangai-O
Expendable (top down shooter, gameplay is actually similar to Cannon Spike)

Shmup:
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Gunbird 2 (shmup from Psikyo, same developer as Cannon Spike, has Capcom's Morrigan as a guest character)
Mars Matrix (not sure if it's still cheap)

Beat'em ups (have a similar perspective as CS):
Zombie Revenge (for some reason some magazines consider this particularly similar to CS. It's definitely an excellent game anyway)
Dynamite Cop

Capcom crossovers:
Capcom VS SNK 1&2
Marvel VS Capcom 1&2

Ya I'm aware of all those titles and I defintiely have MVC 1/2. Can't have a Dreamcast without the most overhyped fighting crossover game on the planet. On a side note...can't wait for EVO and I live in Vegas!