no sequel apparently

#1merqabahPosted 11/13/2012 5:16:57 PM
http://gimmegimmegames.com/2012/11/silicon-knights-ordered-to-destroy-all-games-using-unreal-engine-3-must-pay-epic-9-million/
#2sflowers539Posted 11/13/2012 5:41:27 PM
Yeah, I think SK is done now, they did not make a real game in a long time and were cutting staff even before this. Small companies like that just don't have $9 Million to pay-out. Maybe they can sell the right to ED to a developer who will make a sequel to get some money back.
#3HorrorSindicatePosted 11/16/2012 7:39:53 AM
I thought Nintendo owned the rights to the IP?
---
I've seen the future, baby: it is murder
#4ReptilesBladePosted 11/18/2012 12:48:18 AM
*cries*
---
The best board on the site!
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=510
#5The RobPosted 11/30/2012 12:25:29 PM
Nintendo owns ED, Crystal Dynamics owns LoK; SK doesn't really have anything.
---
whatnow12012 posted...
I am not the same person as Whatnow or whatever his or hers name.
#6Darth XelleonPosted 12/6/2012 10:23:15 PM

Where'd you hear that Nintendo owned ED?
---
Official Rydia's husband of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection Boards
#7sflowers539Posted 12/7/2012 9:42:46 PM
The Rob posted...

I don't know about those other games but Nintendo does not own ED, they own or owned the patent for sanity effects. Since other games can do things just like the sanity effects but call them a different name or make them slightly different, I don't know if the patent really means anything. SK also had a exclusive deal with Nintendo back in the day just like Rare did for Donkey Kong Country in the 90's but all that expired too. So Nintendo can not make a game based on ED or the characters in it unless they buy the license from SK, which I would love to see happen, SK made their last game, I don't care if the CEO sells the rights off to get rich himself and screws everyone else, I just want to see another game get made.
#8Darth XelleonPosted 12/20/2012 7:13:48 PM
So, when a second party developer leaves the parent company, what happens to all the rights?
---
Official Rydia's husband of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection Boards
#9DarkLordMorsulPosted 1/4/2013 4:05:24 PM
Darth Xelleon posted...
So, when a second party developer leaves the parent company, what happens to all the rights?

probably in a contract somewhere... explaining who gets what... probably case by case...
---
Skit Tells is Really good
#10chris_Posted 1/25/2013 8:42:24 AM
What comes around comes around...
Nintendo owned part of silicon knights when ED came out, and Denis Dyack wished to become independant and now look at what happens... he pretty much finished the company. On the other hand look at retro studios, they are awesome.. In other words, nintendo demands quality of their product, if they owned part of SK now this would have probably never happened...

But yeah, watever...