Iron Maiden B1 - Points-of-no-return? - NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

#1aeternitas27Posted 2/7/2008 9:57:15 PM
Is the Iron Maiden B1 supposed to be explorable on a 1st run-through? There are 2 rooms here which I can't seem to solve.

The Pear
Contains 3 numbered puzzle blocks.

Bootikens
Contains several magnetic and sliding puzzle blocks.

Question: Are these points-of-no-return? I'm just looking for "Yes" or "No" answers. I've fully explored every room in the Iron Maiden B1. My problem is that I don't have a Steel Key, so I can't go forward, but I also can't go back because I can't figure out the puzzles in these rooms.

My intuition tells me that I should be able to solve the puzzle in Bootiken if I just try harder, but as for the Pear, I just don't know. Is it solvable, or would I just be wasting my time?

---
"Do not play the child! Do not blame your weakness on another!!"
- Callo Merlose, Vagrant Story
#2AbbumaruPosted 2/8/2008 12:59:38 AM
No, it's not a point-of-no-return. Try harder. =)

---
#=]+:_VAGRANT STORY_:+[=#
Lv.10 Master Gladiator (w/ base stats)
#3aeternitas27(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2008 1:04:52 AM
I guess I'll sleep on it then. Those damn blocks in Bootikens are starting to give me a headache!

---
#4aeternitas27(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2008 1:26:08 AM
I did it! But I'm so tired and my head hurts so much I hardly care.

I decided to give it one last try before I went to bed. I just started thinking in terms of where I needed the blocks to be, and then tried working backwards as to how I could get them there. It was just a process of elimination, and of ignoring things that were just false leads, and once I got started it only took about a minute to figure it out.

Then once I had the blocks in place, I started to worry that I needed one of those Faerie Wings, because I still couldn't manage the jump, and I had used up all of my Faerie Wings earlier in the evening. But I didn't need a Faerie Wing after all. After practicing my jump a few more times I made it.

Now I'll have to reset my PS2 and start all over again tomorrow, because I still have to figure out that puzzle in The Pear.

:-(

---
#5x-Luc-xPosted 2/8/2008 3:44:36 AM

im going to guess that your not playing on an emulator? if you are then you could just press f1 to save anywhere, i always wasnt to fond of the lack of save points in Vagrant Story. if you arent on an emulator though, lucky you, this games impossible to find where i live.

by the way if you want to get past The Pear puzzle, then heres an easy solution for that broken down into 4 easy steps-

1.Push the two one-count counter cubes out of the way, so that they dissolve.

2.Push the three-count cube toward the edge, twice.

3.Stand on counter cube, angle camera to line up with wooden plank extension of top ledge.

4. Jump to plank, grab on, (Note this may take several attempts.)

and your out of there, and trust me on this, there are no point of no returns in this game, theres always a way to get out of where your at, hard or not.

#6aeternitas27(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2008 5:12:10 AM
"No," no emulator. I have a GH version, although I'm also looking for a Black Label edition. Actually, I've never really noticed a lack of save points in VS, at least not until I got to the Iron Maiden. I was shocked that there wasn't a single save point in the entire section.

The Iron Maiden, I'm guessing, must be an optional section? Considering it's the only section not to have a save point, and considering how hard the puzzles are, it must be optional. The average person must probably skip it, because you obviously aren't required to complete it to reach the temple.

And thanks for the info on the puzzle in The Pear. I didn't read it, because I want to try it again on my own. But I'll screenshot it and keep it just in case I need it.

---
#7BeamupPosted 2/8/2008 7:57:15 AM
You're right, it is optional.
---
The plural of anecdote is not data.
#8Rinoa DestinyPosted 2/8/2008 9:59:04 PM
I got "The Pear" exit jump in the most random way possible. Usually, this is the one jump I dread because it takes me forever to nail. However, one time, on my third attempt, I simply rolled the 3 block and walked onto it. Next thing I knew, Riot was hanging onto the ledge. I must've done it automatically because suddenly, he was on and up. I still don't get to this day how I did it, because it was so smooth and done in a blink of an eye.
---
There is no growth without birth. Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk towards the future. - VS
#9x-Luc-xPosted 2/9/2008 12:37:41 AM

do you know if that was a game glitch or not? either way it sounds like you got lucky on that one Rinoa, or it could have been the game just being lenient towards you to save you from being frusterated and making you jump on the ledge without knowing how. i have had things like that happen without knowing why or how, whether i just missed it because i simply wasnt paying close enough attention or didnt realize that it was normal for that to happen. its just one those unexplained mysteries that you should just smile and be thankful for instead of wondering why it happened.

#10x-Luc-xPosted 2/9/2008 12:45:16 AM

yes, the Iron Maiden is optional but if you choose to skip it then you miss out on a lot of great items, you can end the game without them but i think its more interesting to explore every area of the game rather than just going straight to the end, ofcourse you can always wait until your more used to the game in future playthroughs.