The Pear (Iron Maiden B1)

#1aeternitas27Posted 2/8/2008 9:22:55 PM
*** NO SPOILERS PLEASE ***

Ok, I'm still trying to figure out this puzzle. Well, actually I think I've solved the puzzle, but I'm still stuck. Let me explain.

I moved the two cubes numbered "1" aside so that I could move the cube numbered "3" two spaces to the left. There's this narrow platform up above, but one space further to the left - and I can't make the jump. I've tried using the Start button to help me align him in the right direction, but I still couldn't do it. I've even tried using several Faerie Wings, and that hasn't helped either.

I wanted to verify if a jump would even be possible, so I tried to have Ashley perform this maneuver I discovered. You have him jump off a ledge, and then spin around 180 degrees so that he catches the ledge he just jumped off of. I was able to have him do that on the western edge of the platform, but either the southern edge is too narrow to allow it or I'm just not nimble enough with the controller. Either way, I can't actually verify if he can grab the southern edge of the platform, although logic would tend to indicate that he should be able to.

I just want to know if I'm on the right track.And if I'm not please do not try to tell me what the answer is. I just want "Yes" or "No" answers to these questions:

Does the way out of The Pear involve leaping up and catching hold of that platform? Yes / No

Is the problem that I (me, the player, not Ashley) just don't have the dexterity to make the jump? Yes / No

Basically I just want to know if I'm wasting my time. If the problem is that I just don't have the dexterity for it, I'll forget abut the Iron Maiden and just continue through the Temple.

---
"Do not play the child! Do not blame your weakness on another!!"
- Callo Merlose, Vagrant Story
#2x-Luc-xPosted 2/8/2008 11:59:18 PM
Does the way out of The Pear involve leaping up and catching hold of that platform? Yes

Is the problem that I (me, the player, not Ashley) just don't have the dexterity to make the jump? there is no yes or no answer for anyone else but yourself. i dont know how anyone could answer a question that only the best answer only you woulld know, i say to just either keep trying or skip it for now and do it later on other playthroughs or whenever.
#3aeternitas27(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2008 12:05:26 AM
Well, now I know.

I guess I really need to practice my diagonal leaps then, because right now I just don't understand how anyone could make that leap. I just noticed that on the eastern edge of that platform there's a short wooden timber that projects upwards, which just makes it even harder to get a handhold.

I guess I'll just continue through the Temple, and whenever I have some spare time I'll come back to the Iron Maiden and practice that leap until I get it right.
---
#4x-Luc-xPosted 2/9/2008 5:24:17 AM
i dont know, i never really thought about it like that, as i pretty much had no problem at all with making that jump, in fact i think i even made it on the first try during my first playthrough in a couple of years. i seem to have either good luck or very good hand-eye cordination when it comes to such things. i went through the whole game with only using a single Faerie wing and that was in the cathedral on one of those puzzles, so i would go out to the Snowfly forest again and fight some Ichthious' before that time comes.
#5aeternitas27(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2008 1:36:41 PM
Could someone who's played this on a console please give me some pointers on how to make this jump?

Did you stand on the "1" block nearest the platform and jump sideways? Did you stand on the "1" block furthest from the platform? Did you push the "3" block all the way to the left and jump from that?

If you're using the close up camera to align your jumps, what are you using as a marker? Are you also checking the camera after your jumps?

Are you simply pressing the Left and Up directional buttons at the same time at the start of the jump? Are you jumping and then manipulating the buttons to guide him to the platform?

This is so frustrating. I've completely beaten the Iron Maiden B1 twice now, and I still can't get out of this section!

---
#6aeternitas27(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2008 1:42:48 PM
OMFG, I just made it!

I pushed the "3" block all the way to the left, jumped diagonally a bit, and then at the height of the jump gave an extra tap to the Up button to guide him to the platform so that he wouldn't fly past like he normally does.

So now I'm looking at Ashley standing at the top of the platform. Unreal.
---
#7AbbumaruPosted 2/9/2008 1:54:38 PM
Haha, congratz my friend. This was awesome, I admire your perseverance!

---
#=]+:_VAGRANT STORY_:+[=#
Lv.10 Master Gladiator (w/ base stats)
#8aeternitas27(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2008 2:05:56 PM
Thank you Abbumaru. Now I just have to do it again. :-(

Tonight after I get back from work I'll have to beat the Iron Maiden a 3rd time, and then make the jump again so that I can finally escape the Iron Maiden with all my loot. :-) And then I'll be on my way to the Temple of Kiltia!
---
#9aeternitas27(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2008 12:33:59 AM
Yay! I finally beat the Iron Maiden!

After about a dozen attempts I was able to make the jump in The Pear again. The secret is to first jump diagonally, and then press the Up button mid-jump to guide Ashley to the platform. The timing is tricky, but with practice it's a skill you can quickly develop.

---
#10x-Luc-xPosted 2/14/2008 3:14:00 AM

i know im late on this but-- congrats on finally making it through there, i knew you would eventually because you were so determined and i believe you can accomplish just about anything when you are determined enough. i know i probably should have told you this before but theres another thing one should know about performing this jump, is you should be standing right at the upper-left tip of the block before jumping because that way you are technically closer to the ledge then just by jumping from the middle of the block, i have jumped to the ledge 5 times in a row doing it this way, im on my 2nd game and just now done it as a test and it worked for me.

by the way, i have a question-- why dont you just leave the game running while your at work? it would save you from a lot of trouble from having to do all that stuff all over again, and im pretty sure if you have a regular work schedule (6 to 8 hours) then your system shouldnt overheat, if thats what your worried about.