Need some help. *Spoilers*

#1Wangtang001Posted 3/9/2010 1:15:39 PM
I just beat the big rock boss but I barely did any damage to it. Why's that? What should I do to do better damage?
---
Solidus: Damn the Patriots...!
#2EchoNullPosted 3/9/2010 2:20:44 PM
Beamup's Combat Mechanics FAQ is the go-to place for all your "I'm tired of doing 1-3 damage per hit in VS" needs.

Seriously, it's a good read, and covers the entire combat system nicely.
---

Odd.
#3FlyinBrianPosted 3/10/2010 12:05:35 AM
for a quick rundown every enemy has three factors that affect the damage Ashley can deal to it: affinity, elements, and damage types. Golems, being made of rock are rather resistant to piercing and edged weapons so you will do a LOT more damage if you pull out a nice blunt instrument. There are two available before you reach the Golem if you've been looking everywhere.

affinity is the easiest thing to get, but also seems to have a lower effect than the other two. for instance the final boss is evil type but has 90 resistances to both light and dark elements, so even if you have a high evil weapon if it deals light or dark damage it will still be resisted heavily. Element is a significant factor in damage and it's easy to mod on the fly through gems and fusion spells. Damage type is going to be a deciding factor much of the time. Most enemies have a paticular damage type they are weak/strong to so you have to carry a variety of weapon types so you can adapt to your foes weaknesses. Some trends run though the enemy types (such as most dragons are weak to piercing and resistant to blunt) but you should always remember the analyze spell. it gives a wealth of info and can really get you out of tough spots.
---
Sanity's really just a one trick pony, you just get one trick: rational thought. But when you're good and crazy, oh baby! The skies the limit! - The Tick
#4BeamupPosted 3/10/2010 4:13:30 AM
Degenerate + Blunt weapon (i.e. Pink Squirrel) = very dead Golem very fast
---
The plural of anecdote is not data.
#5Wangtang001(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2010 12:44:34 PM
If I have all three weapon types and I still barely do any damage then what's the likely cause?

How come the damage I do to someone seems to decrease as I attack but if I wait I'll start doing good damage again?
---
Solidus: Damn the Patriots...!
#6Alvarin_Posted 3/13/2010 1:14:35 PM

Note your RISK bar. the more you have, the less damage you do with less chance to hit and you are more likely to get hit for more damage.

#7BeamupPosted 3/15/2010 3:19:21 AM
If I have all three weapon types and I still barely do any damage then what's the likely cause?

Low PP/DP or incorrect Affinity.

How come the damage I do to someone seems to decrease as I attack but if I wait I'll start doing good damage again?

It doesn't. Your RISK does not figure into the damage you do, and there's no effect where waiting will increase damage. Observe more closely; you are not seeing what you say here.
---
The plural of anecdote is not data.