Any spiritual successors or games similar?

#1Squall_exePosted 7/30/2012 6:47:10 AM
This is probably one of my favorite games of all time, and its kinda sad that there aren't any games that I can think of that play similarly to this other than Parasite Eve.

Does anybody know of any games, be they this or pervious generations that play like this?
#2exodiarkPosted 7/30/2012 7:19:15 AM
Can't think of any D:
This game is one of its kind.
#3Squall_exe(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2012 7:59:24 AM(edited)
I know right?! Thats why I posted this here hoping that somebody might know of something, the only thing I can think of is Dark Souls, but its too intense and doesn't have the 90s SquareSoft-ness to it...
#4GoukiAkujikiPosted 7/30/2012 1:03:24 PM
If Parasite Eve having a targeting dome makes it similar to VS then you should consider a lot of games similar. Because PE and VS are nothing alike. The comparison always bothers me.
#5SIMStevenPosted 8/20/2012 1:45:55 PM
VS and PE are a lot alike. Similar combat systems and game mechanics. Similar game lengths. Similar level of replayability. Similar level of storytelling. Both are cinematic games. Same company, same console, and only a few years apart.

The only major differences are the stories, themselves, and the era they take place in.
---
Help get MegaMan Legends 3 back in production. www.capcom-unity.com/devroom
Join the official Dev Room, sign the petition, and become a Servbot.
#6Steve_FantasyPosted 8/20/2012 9:44:03 PM
VS and PE are a lot alike. Similar combat systems and game mechanics. Similar game lengths. Similar level of replayability. Similar level of storytelling. Both are cinematic games. Same company, same console, and only a few years apart.

The only major differences are the stories, themselves, and the era they take place in.

No, just no.
---
http://i.minus.com/i1OGJl9VC8EgH.gif http://i.minus.com/ib1d2s9VbYEUde.gif
#7GoukiAkujikiPosted 8/20/2012 11:53:59 PM
Oh man hell no. Targeting dome/sphere, that's it.
#8BeamupPosted 8/21/2012 3:11:49 AM
Similar combat systems and game mechanics.

Oh wow, having a similar graphical display for the nigh-universal concept of Range. That's really really significant. About like the Metal Gear Solid comparison - both have thought bubbles on the enemies! Obviously they're practically the same game!

I mean, think about it. If the range display in one of them were to brighten things in range while dimming things out of range, nobody would make the comparison. But the mechanics would be completely unaffected.

Similar game lengths.

Along with 3/4 of the genre...

Similar level of replayability.

ROTFLOL. Not within orders of magnitude.

Similar level of storytelling.

Ah, so "has a good story" is sufficient to label two games as fundamentally similar now?

PE and VS simply are not similar. Deal with it.
---
The plural of anecdote is not data.
#9roitactPosted 8/21/2012 8:21:13 AM
we had this sort of discussion a while ago, dont knw what happened to the topic,

unfortunately theres no game that is similar enough to be recommended by the gameplay and mechanics, but if your after a decent game, dark story, dark aptmosphere, lots of replay value with a big challenge and decent learning curve, breath of fire, dragons quarter fits a lot of these categories pretty well, as well as a lot of the other breath of fire series. but DQ is the one which offers the most replayability and the biggest challenge in making you want to do better each time you play
---
Ich habe nur zwei Fingernagel auf meiner linken Hand... GT: jimmyrockstar, PSN: testesbomb---
#10s6c6u6mPosted 8/22/2012 2:02:58 AM
No game is at par with VS. PE's similarity ends when you open up the sphere targeting system.