Counters to Samurai?

#1RinkalicousPosted 9/2/2008 1:15:55 PM
This is basically a continuation of the last topic I made asking for help, which got archived a while back.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=914421&topic=43875115

Anyway, I've gotten good at getting a balanced army of Champions, paladins and Conqs (though as the battle goes on, I usually fall behind in conqs as i can't keep up the production as easily as champions/paladins), but someone I regularly play with has a tactic which constantly destroys me- Samurai and Halberders. I heard that samurai are meant to be weak overall, but try telling that to the piles of dead champions that litter the floor after any battle with them. It seems like if i send equal amounts of champs at his samurai, samurai always win. Am I just imagining this?

My first reaction was to churn out paladins, as i was pretty sure paladins would be able to own them, but his halberders, which are usually mixed into the same group as the samurai, weren't having any of it and pretty much destroyed my paladins in seconds.

Long story short, I'm asking how best to counter Halberders and Samurai with the Spanish.
#2SoloSaintPosted 9/2/2008 7:40:58 PM
Of course Samurai will beat Champions 1v1, but not by much. First off his infantry attack 25% faster than your's. Secondly, they have more life. Sure they have 1 less attack than the champion, but the faster attack speed (especially in mass) will roll a group of champions.

Anyways, archers/seige will take down a heavy infantry group.
---
Not as in "MUHAHAHAHA" crazy, more like "AAAAAHHHHH TEH PICKELZ ARE TRYING 2 KEEL MEH" crazy.
Twilightfan
#3StiphilisPosted 9/3/2008 10:19:42 AM
HandCannoneers + screening unit or hit and run with Conquistadores.
#4Rinkalicous(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2008 10:45:39 AM
I'm liking the hit and run idea, Never really thought about anything like that. Are conqs actaully fast enough to have time to turn, fire, turn then run? Samurai can properly book, you know.

But thanks, i'll try that.
#5SeraphLancePosted 9/3/2008 5:39:26 PM
That army of his is pure infantry, which means siege will completely thrash it. As an above poster said, throw in archers too. It helps get rid of the stragglers too.

I thought champions beat samurai though, even with the attack speed difference...

---
"If attacked . . . ., always find or manufacture enough threat against them to cause them to sue for peace."
- L. Ron Hubbard
#6SoloSaintPosted 9/4/2008 6:18:08 AM
Sams win 1v1 against Champs. I'm sure of it. Very slightly, though.
---
Not as in "MUHAHAHAHA" crazy, more like "AAAAAHHHHH TEH PICKELZ ARE TRYING 2 KEEL MEH" crazy.
Twilightfan
#7kirbymuncherPosted 9/4/2008 1:03:38 PM
Do bombard cannons help at all in attacking units, or are they mainly for buildings?
---
Ganon bounces all over the place spewing fireballs faster than an AOLer can spew internet acronyms. - GreenShyguy04
#8StiphilisPosted 9/4/2008 1:33:06 PM
They can be okay for sniping some siege units. They're definitely not anti-infantry or anything though.
#9SoloSaintPosted 9/4/2008 8:18:06 PM
Found them effective-ish in numbers taking down onagers or longbowmen behind walls.
---
Telling me not to come into your topic is about as effective as using your genitals to write a term paper.
Telephos
#10pointyhair01Posted 9/6/2008 12:58:26 PM
I'll do a few tests, wait a minute.
---
Sacred cows make the tastiest burger.
Current theme song: Deep South