How to beat the teutonic knights

#1Heaven_n_HellPosted 8/21/2011 4:40:54 PM
I play 2v2 against my friends, and one is always the Teutons. He makes an army of 3 monks, 30 TKs, and 3 trebs, and I cannot find a way to kill the TK's without Cataphracts or Elephants, which are civs i don't like playing as. I tried to amass scorpions, and that did a good amount, but what can I do to take them out for good?
---
----
-----
#2Crimson GrogPosted 8/21/2011 7:22:16 PM
The first advice I can give is to cripple his economy before he can afford a bunch of teutonic knights. As for countering them with units, you can try converting them with monks, killing them with massed archers (especially unique units), or you can try the Japanese/Aztecs and use samurai/jaguar warriors (I'm not positive how samurai will fair from a math standpoint but jaguars should work well).
---
Are druids still bug? -happyscrub1
No Sum durids are bare, and sum durids r cat (which iz 4 fite); but no durids are bugz -ShadowEdgeX
#3Elfishguy11Posted 8/22/2011 12:08:32 AM
Crimson Grog posted...
you can try converting them with monks

Bad idea. Teutons have resistance against conversion as it is.
---
][|= |_| (4|\| R34[) 7|-|][5 |_| R3411Y |\|33[) 2 637 4 |_][|=3
#4Sky OlivinePosted 8/22/2011 4:22:57 AM
TKs are strong up close but they're slow and have low pierce armor.

Sams and JWs are alright against them but your best bet would be ranged units, especially hand cannoneers / turkish janis, who do bonus damage against infantry
---
Member of the board 250 Madness team!
Once you've come to a decision, follow through with it and give it your all, so you have no regrets.
#5BUMPosted 8/22/2011 5:00:27 PM
Sams and Jags both perform well against TKs, but I think the end result* was TK's usually come out on top by a small margin.

* it's easy to run your own simulations- just take a post-imp Teuton civ and a post-imp Japanese/Aztec civ, and have a duel between the TK and jag/sam. Run a few trials. Then, have a mass battle of like, say, 30. They need to be close but not so close that the AI that "kicks in" first gets a sizable head-start on attacking. Obviously there's more variation on the mass battle than in the duel, which should come out about the same every time.

Other than that, just spam archers. What can he possibly do if his army is literally monks (archer meat), TK's (not easy, but if you micromanage and just have a large group attack one at a time, you pick 'em off and run), and trebs (not ideal for fighting against your archers)

He's just asking for a beatdown with an army like that- it's only good if you let it be good. Destroy him!!!
---
SIGNATURE
#6HeyDudePosted 8/25/2011 8:38:40 AM
It depends on the battlefield. If he's in your city, you might not have time to use horse archers, but that's what I'd recommend in a situation where you have some time. Create time, by meeting them on their way. For this you need visibility. You can use outposts for this purpose.

So if you have some time to deal with these guys, then horse archers are fine. They will take a while to wear down his guys, but they will be able to hit and run and never get attacked themselves. If you like the Saracens at all, their mameluke is pretty great in this situation. Also I imagine throwing axemen might be, since they're ranged melee instead of ranged piercing attackers.
#7BUMPosted 8/25/2011 3:32:08 PM
Right, if he's already in your town, you're in trouble- the TK is something you need to fall back against, not fight toe-to-toe. Be careful with your mamelukes- they're expensive and not to be used without micromanaging, but they would work too.
---
SIGNATURE
#8Sky OlivinePosted 8/26/2011 2:33:35 AM
HeyDude posted...
If you like the Saracens at all, their mameluke is pretty great in this situation. Also I imagine throwing axemen might be, since they're ranged melee instead of ranged piercing attackers.

TKs got tons of melee armor, so mams and throwing axemen should NOT be your best bet.
---
Member of the board 250 Madness team!
Once you've come to a decision, follow through with it and give it your all, so you have no regrets.
#9HeyDudePosted 8/26/2011 4:59:25 AM
Hm. OK. I thought they had tons of pierce armor too.
#10SeraphLancePosted 8/28/2011 10:56:45 PM
TKs have relatively low pierce armor, and may be the slowest units in the game. Any ranged unit, especially those with piercing damage (i.e. not Throwing Axeman) will make short wokr of them.

Seriously, you can kite TKs with Trebuchets.
---
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.