Playing this on VBA with the fast forward button = awesome

#1K56ConnectPosted 6/17/2009 9:49:31 PM
When I play RPGs on ZSNES or VBA, I always set the fast forward button to be the R2 button on my gamepad. So leveling up is a breeze. Enter battle, hold R2, and A down, boom, fight's over in under 2 seconds. I played through this for the first time, took me two nights. Even when walking, I just hold down the FF button and breeze around stuff. Yeah, it may take a little bit out of the experience, but I still get all the items, and read all the dialogue, I just do it a little faster than everyone else. Who else uses the FF button religiously on their emulators?
#2SeijiroMakabePosted 6/17/2009 10:16:21 PM
I don't use it most of the time for Mother 3...it screws up the beautiful music. : )
Although I have been known to zoom around a room while Kuma or Lucas is feverish so I can run again...
---
Fassad is now going to plummet.
#3Garfield0022Posted 6/17/2009 11:51:17 PM
It's essential for my gimmicky playthroughs.
---
tree
#4MasterOtenkoPosted 6/18/2009 1:53:50 AM
I do on SNES games. Makes grinding fun.
---
XBL GT: ChocoPeeps
I pretty much only play SF4, 2HDRemix, and Bomberman Live, and I'm not very good at any of them.. Always hoping to improve, though.
#5Spitball SparkyPosted 6/18/2009 3:29:09 PM
I don't use it. I have it assigned to the "Q" button on the keyboard, and not to anything on my controller. It sort of ruins it, I guess.
---
www.luminehall.tk
A new kind of EarthBound community
#6NeoShreddedPosted 6/18/2009 11:14:52 PM
It's just bad game design for half your total playtime (or more) to be menu navigation/waiting on text boxes/walking through unnecessarily long corridors/whatever. The fact that it hasn't been fixed in 25 years of RPGs is absurd. I'm pretty good at reading short blocks of text nearly instantly, so the wait for text boxes in 90% of RPGs is absolutely agonizing for me.

I can't imagine playing this without the fast forward button. Let alone EARTHBOUND. Jesus. I love both dearly, but so much time is wasted.
---
ya know, they're coalitoin forces, your just killing all different races at once. your just a highly efficient racist, i understand. -Confusious on Halo 2 TK's
#7shadow chao 10Posted 6/20/2009 11:00:18 AM
I only use fast forward for hot springs and fevers. The music's too great to speed up otherwise. This game runs at a decent speed anyway.

Earthbound...ugh, I have the SNES cart, but I just play it on emulator because I can't stand it without the speed button. What an awful, slow game.

And most games that have annoyingly slow text speed have an option to speed it up. The moment I found the text-speed option for Pokemon games was one of the happiest moments of my life >_> <_<
---
Drifloon > all other Pokemon.
Restore lost damage in a uniform statistical distribution! ~ Ramza, FF Tactics
#8DexterTheThirdPosted 6/21/2009 2:58:49 PM
Maybe I'm just patient by nature, but I own the cart and the speed of Earthbound has never bothered me.
Even at the most "inconvenient" scene in the game, waiting three minutes for Grapefruit Falls to open up, I just get a drink or use the bathroom or something.

This game, I think the only time I used the speedup on my emulator was waiting for my HP roller to refill during the final boss fight.
---
HFC: Since 2002. Every topic I post in...DIES!!!
"Let's keep it clean! Now come out boxing!"
#9Earthbound_XPosted 6/24/2009 3:30:49 PM
I did that in the New Pork City Sewers, I gained around 20 levels that way, haha.
#10CreepGnomePosted 7/3/2009 12:20:34 AM
I mostly use Fast Forward for times when I need to walk a long distance in one direction, wait for something, or speed up a pointlessly long animation.
---
"Competitive chess, pawns only! 6 pawns per side! No en passant capture! " -arleas