This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be improved in Half-Life 3?

#1matrixstream757Posted 1/25/2010 4:00:13 PM
Even though I thought that Half-Life 2 and the episodes so far are amazing, there are a few things that could have been better than they were.

First of all, I hate how you never see yourself. You look down, and there are no feet. You are twisting a valve, driving a car or pressing a button and you see no hand or arm. You pick up an object, you don't actually see yourself pick it up. This needs to be changed.

Second, why does Gordon Freeman never talk? Ever? At any point of time? Even if they never make him say a single word at any point of time, they should give a good reason as to why he never talks. Is he mute? Well then, that is a reason. Is he incredibly shy? That is a reason too. I just find it annoying how you never talk, and they never give a good reason as to why, nor does anyone ever wonder why you never talk.

Third, I would like a real melee option. I know you have your crowbar, but it would be nice to whack a headcrab away without having to switch to your crowbar.

Other than this, I thought that everything was really good about Half-Life 2. But Half-Life 3 has a golden opportunity to make itself shine twice as bright as Half-Life 2 did.
---
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
You can't spell ignorance without IGN.
#2Anon8492Posted 1/26/2010 8:07:53 AM
For the second, it was to help immersion by keeping the player in Gordons body.
---
http://www.brossmancorp.com/index.php
#3Harvest4Posted 1/26/2010 9:26:03 PM
Hrmmm...kind of sounds like a joke topic...just cause all three of those are the "trademarks"/"signatures" or whatever of half life...

Anyway....I guess other than the usual with new physics and graphics they could do some more for continuing the brilliant modding community surrounding these games.
---
There is one kind of robber whom the law does not strike at, and who steals what is most precious to men: time.
-Napoleon
#4matrixstream757(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2010 4:24:04 PM
"For the second, it was to help immersion by keeping the player in Gordons body."

Why can't they just create a talking system similar to Fallout 3? I thought that worked fine. And besides, You won't have to talk much, just when the scene demands it. Games have done that before, and it works.

"kind of sounds like a joke topic...just cause all three of those are the "trademarks"/"signatures" or whatever of half life..."

I was unaware that not seeing yourself and climbing up ladders without actually touching them was a Half-Life trademark, knowing that tons of FPS games did that. I just don't see how not seeing yourself at all for any reason ever is going to raise the overall quality of the game. That was one of the only things I had against it, actually.

And how is not having a melee option a Half-Life trademark? Lots of games sufficed the melee option with a melee weapon as well. The crowbar would probably have a longer range and more blow to it than your gun would, but it would be nice for a quick melee option.

I do not see what problem you have against Half-Life 3 being more... current gen. Half-Life 2 WAS made in the previous gen you know. There is no reason it should stay there.
---
#5Anon8492Posted 1/28/2010 9:49:21 AM
They have a silent protagonist thing going, similar to many games from back then. Plus (and sorry if I make a mistake here, but I played Oblivion which I've heard is a very similar game) games like that can't really pull off the silent protagonist thing. Let's face it: an RPG like that where the main character has no dialogue at all would probably be boring (story wise), especially since the story probably going to have a lot of dialogue.

Not so in an FPS. I mean sure, you can have enemy chatter and your allies (if you have any) talking, but the main character doesn't have to say anything.

Also you can go up to citizens and vorts and press the use key and they'll talk to you so maybe that's the closest thing the player has to asking them "wassup?"
---
#6matrixstream757(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2010 3:01:54 PM
"Also you can go up to citizens and vorts and press the use key and they'll talk to you so maybe that's the closest thing the player has to asking them "wassup?""

I guess so, but I still do not see what is wrong with doing a Fallout 3-like system. You never actually make a sound, but here or there when the scene demands it, it will give you option of what you can say. Like

Say: Get up, we have to go!
Say: Are you okay?
Say: (nothing)

Or

Say: Why are you keeping me here?
Say: Let me go you freak!
Say: Where am I?
Say: What the heck just happened?
Say: (nothing.)

I am just annoyed that Gordon has never said one word at all, and they have never given a good reason as to why (beyond the reason that you supported.) Suppose that there is this guy you really like, he is strong and awesome. But he never talks. And nobody you know wonders why he never talks, he just doesn't. Every time all you guys are in a conversation, the scene works in such a way that he is never required to make a sound or a reply of any kind. It can even get a little stranger than that too. If he saw his girlfriend get badly hurt, or almost get badly hurt, he doesn't say anything. Not a thing. He says nothing to comfort her, and she doesn't wonder why.

I know that you are supposed to look past that kind of a thing in an FPS, especially if the game was made as early as 2004, but by this point, it is taking away from the realism of the game. There are ways to make your character actually say things other than "whats up" in a videogame without portraying his voice or breaking into a scene or a moment where you cannot control your character. Like I said, Fallout 3 does it quite well. There is no reason why Half-Life 3 cannot use a similar system.
---
#7matrixstream757(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2010 3:03:37 PM
Oh, and also, Fallout 3 may be an RPG based game, though it is still an FPS at its core and has a steady plot line, just like Half-Life 2. If you don't side-track at all from the main quest, the game works JUST like an FPS game.
---
#8Anon8492Posted 1/28/2010 5:41:47 PM
Giving Gordon a voice could ruin him.

I remember back when GTA3 was the only GTA game worth mentioning. People were fine with hin never talking. But when Vice City came out, many players (myself included) weren't happy with it (I'm ok with it now, but I thought at the time he talked too much).

Plus it's weird. A guy is silent for a long time and then suddenly he starts talking?

And besides all this, why give him Oblivion/Fallout dialogue options? That would break the immersion pretty well IMO. It's not even needed. Yes, Valve wrote everything so that he'd never need to say anything and that's their right.

I understand what you mean though. Sometimes it's like they player is more of a ghost than an actual person in the room with everyone.
---
#9bowiefanpersonPosted 1/28/2010 7:34:47 PM
One improvement for Half Life 3 would be that every copy of the game comes with a free Computer that can run it at max.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__NAS9BXRY&feature=channel_page
epic Pain car crash.
#10matrixstream757(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2010 9:19:29 AM
Okay, I guess that the voice thing should stay the way it is. But what about actually seeing yourself and having a melee button?
---