This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Controls. Controller. Did I miss an option?

#1NintendoDudeGuyPosted 2/14/2010 12:10:35 PM
So Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 don't have controller support, I heard. Joy2Key to the rescue. I put the mouse on the right analog stick. Unfortunately, having keys on the left stick means digital movement. Yeah... I tried "enable gamepad." What in the...?

Any help on this thing here?
"Enable gamepad" lets me use the left stick with analog controls! But left and right aren't strafe, they're turn! Where's the option to change this? Why didn't I see one?

Hm, "strafe modifier"? *presses assigned key and nothing happens* *holds key and presses left/right* *strafes* Aha... But... *looks at the Team Fortress 2 wiki's scripting page again, which I saved* *copies the "duckToggle" custom script and changes it to strafing* *presses key once* Success! I'm strafing! *tried to look around* Wh-wh-what? Strafe modifier makes the mouse used for movement and strafing too? ARRRRRGHGAHFAILasdfjkl; *explodes* I don't believe this! >___>

I've gotten used to the digital movement, but...
---
Home/Data/FAQs/Cheats/.../Answers/Last Resort/
Check out The Enclosed Instruction Book, too.
#2newxskinPosted 2/14/2010 8:19:19 PM
just use your mouse and keyboard. i cant fathom why people would want to use a gamepad for an FPS. but since you are asking on a PC board, use your mouse and keyboard. its a much more fulfilling experience. now if you are unable to use them, then i can understand. andd therefore i have no further insight.
#3NintendoDudeGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2010 2:12:37 PM
just use your mouse and keyboard. i cant fathom why people would want to use a gamepad for an FPS. but since you are asking on a PC board, use your mouse and keyboard. its a much more fulfilling experience. now if you are unable to use them, then i can understand. andd therefore i have no further insight.

There are game controllers that plug into PCs. That's kind of like asking why someone changed the default controls when there's an option to change them.
I'm used to game controllers. It works fine. There's no point in telling me your method of control is better. Maybe it is. Go ahead and use it then. But I can use a gamepad if I want to. Your post doesn't help answer my question at all.
---
#4betatechPosted 2/15/2010 2:21:04 PM
For HL2 try the unofficial "Half-Life 2: Update" which is a port of the game to the EP2 engine, this may include the option.
---
Gigabyte P45-DS3, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB. Win7 64
XBL/PSN/SteamID:tech3475
#5rdchili89Posted 2/16/2010 6:48:11 PM
Controllers suck for FPS games, they are meant to be played with keyboard and mouse. Maybe you should have gotten the Orange Box on PS3/360 then.

---
PSN ID: RedChili69
move hacker
#6NintendoDudeGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2010 9:05:02 PM
Controllers suck for FPS games, they are meant to be played with keyboard and mouse. Maybe you should have gotten the Orange Box on PS3/360 then.

But they don't have mods, do they?
---
#7Jango250Posted 2/19/2010 6:45:52 AM

Mouse/keyboard is best but sometimes I also just like to use a gamepad, Iv'e found that Pinnacle Game Profiler is the best and easiest program to use and you can download premapped config files for certain games for it, or just make your own.