This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hard playthrough without manual saving

#1Swarles_BarkleyPosted 4/8/2012 11:22:59 AM
Anyone try this? I'm up to Ravenholm right now and it's been ok so far, but I think there are going to be some incredibly frustrating "checkpoints" on my way..
---
Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men. - John F. Kennedy
#2PURE_DESSPosted 4/17/2012 2:24:48 PM

So do you mean that the only saves you get are those which occur when you enter a new area? On hard? That's brave bordering on suicidal! Well, here's a few tips that i can think of. You say you are in Ravenholm so be very careful when fighting those thin spindly zombies that can jump at you. I imagine it wouldn't be very pleasant to get knocked off a building by one, especially on hard! Use a shotgun when they run towards you. Usually a one hit kill if you get them in the head. kill soldiers as quickly as possible with an efficient weapon, the guards with pulse rifles and shotguns are brutal if you let them live too long. Combat them with a pulse rifle of your own. Getting up close and personal with a shotgun may work on easy, but if you try that strategy on hard you'll likely come out worse for the wear. A final tip I can give is do your best to stay off the sand with the antlions. Use the rocks as much as possible. Not much advice I can offer on combating striders. That will likely be the most frustrating part of your journey.

#3bhamvPosted 4/18/2012 7:05:52 AM
Actually, with HL2's dynamic resupply system, and if you know in advance where enemies are going to come from, I think it's very much doable.

It also helps to know the little tricks that make the game easier. Abusing turrets in Nova Prospekt immediately comes to mind.
#4PURE_DESSPosted 4/18/2012 1:05:55 PM
True enough. I always find myself thinking i'm doomed when my health gets exceedingly low, but the game always pulls through and I find a supply crate in the nick of time. Smart use of cover should also be incorporated.

The only time I found myself with very low health for a while before finding a crate was in Nova Prospekt near an area with three auto turrets. However, Nova Prospekt shouldn't be too hard with smart use of the turrets.
#5Swarles_Barkley(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2012 9:39:26 AM
PURE_DESS posted...
So do you mean that the only saves you get are those which occur when you enter a new area?

Yes, that is exactly what I mean!

Anyway so I've been doing this for a while, I just finished Episode 1 this way today. It definitely has a couple of brutal "checkpoints" (more so than Half-Life 2, which is very doable).

I can recommend this to everyone, not being able to save for stretches of time really increases tension, and the satisfaction and relief you get when you do finally reach that save is hard to replicate.
---
Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager.