Got this game today

#1Weltall1Posted 12/25/2011 7:27:31 AM
My sister got me a few used ps2 titles, one of which was this.
When I opened the wrapping paper I first read it as Ghost Rider, Said thanks and put it to one side thinking doh crappy movie tie in game >_<
Only played a bit so far but darn if it isn't fun, the voice acting and gfx are some of the best I've seen on ps2 also.
I don't like people buying me games usually because if I want one I buy it myself but this has definitely been a pleasant surprise.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. ~CJayC, June 3rd 2003
#2JoveHackPosted 12/26/2011 11:22:13 AM
Weltall1 posted...
My sister got me a few used ps2 titles, one of which was this.
When I opened the wrapping paper I first read it as Ghost Rider, Said thanks and put it to one side thinking doh crappy movie tie in game >_<
Only played a bit so far but darn if it isn't fun, the voice acting and gfx are some of the best I've seen on ps2 also.
I don't like people buying me games usually because if I want one I buy it myself but this has definitely been a pleasant surprise.

It's a very good game, in my opinion.

It made IGN's list of the top 15 best looking games on the PS2. If you've got component cables and and HDTV there's widescreen mode and a hidden 480p option for even better looking graphics. (Hold X and Triangle while the game is booting up to access the hidden menu.)

Even with all that, as you point out the voice acting is top-notch. Maybe the best we'll ever hear in a video game. I also love the music and imaginative variety in the game. Hope you've got a good speaker system, because there's a section where Lazarus is heading into the swamp where the music is perfect for an adventuring state of mind.

There are a couple of tricky parts, so don't hesitate to ask for help.

You may want to try Ghosthunter's sister game, Primal. Also by SCEE Cambridge, the characters, story, voice talent, art, imagination and graphics are just as good as Ghosthunter.

The downside is that most of the gameplay revolves around the melee fighting system, which isn't all that great. I generally activate a cheat or two, then go through it like some kind of exploration game.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved.
#3Weltall1(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2011 3:15:16 PM
Just finished the swamps now, loved the freaky mansion.
I did get a bit stuck at the part with the slideshow showing number 11, took me ages of doing random stuff to eventually activate the next part.
The first part of the swamps had me on low health almost all the way though too, i only figured out a stealthy approach worked wonders when i was practically done with it, oh well always a replay hehe.
The cutscenes are excellent, really can't wait for each one it gives you, a cutscene viewer would be nice.
One of the few games I've played that would actually warrant one.

Got 2 more weeks off work and now christmas is done I should be able to get some uninterrupted gaming in.

Oh yeah is there a scoring mode when you finish? there was 1 liquid ghost thing that I didnt manage to capture, the one before i get knocked out by the rednecks.
Noticed it was still there while i was controlling astral though i dont think i could even use my gun on it while i was first down there anyway.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. ~CJayC, June 3rd 2003
#4JoveHackPosted 12/27/2011 7:35:46 AM
You're moving right along. Maybe a third of the way through the game. You won't need two weeks to finish, that's for sure.

Yeah, stealth is the way to go sometimes. Once I learned to crouch, move up, then lean around corners to snipe the game got a lot more fun for me. Other times I just run through. That's a technique that can be very helpful in the New School.

There's no special scoring. As far as I can tell the developers ran out of time towards the end of the game. You'll probably know what I mean once you finish. That one liquid beast can be gotten elsewhere, I'm pretty sure. That, or another of them, can be gotten either when Lazarus comes by, or later during a straight-up battle.

I still got a lot of fun out of the replays by finding ammo, and watching the cutscenes. The guy who plays Lazarus has a lot of fun playing his part.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved.
#5Weltall1(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2011 4:15:44 PM
Whew just beat the kraaken guy, I was getting beaten badly till I ended up finding a sweet spot.
Shameful I know, was just stood against the back wall and behind one of the centre pillars, he would swipe at me but they wouldnt cause any damage even though it looked like they were hitting me, so the only damage I took was from the shells exploding.

Enjoyed the ship quite a bit, nice mix up of combat and puzzles(easy puzzles but I appreciated a break in the combat)
Had trouble with the big machine gunners though, they seemed to be immune to my grenade when they were on low health.

The new school area I have mixed feelings about.
The poltergeists and how you catch them was a really cool idea but it sure was annoying also.
I completely missed the entrance which lead to the smoke grenades(just looked down the corridor and saw the taped up door so i ignored that passage doh)
So I spent a lot of time in the darn library trying all kinds of things.
Probably wasted an hour on that because i didnt look down a corridor properly.

Great cutscenes yet again, love Freddie Fortesque hehe and a bit of Macbeth which I'm sure made Gambon happy.
Found out that the guy who does Lazerus voice is the one who did Morte in planescape torment, I think that makes him my fave va ever now.
---
#6Weltall1(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2011 4:45:22 AM
Doh got called in to work today, won't be able to play any more till friday at the earliest.
At least I definitely have next week off.
---
#7JoveHackPosted 12/28/2011 5:55:42 AM
Okay, you've inspired me to play the game again. It still looks great, particularly the lighting, but there are times when everything seems to blend together. Like there's not enough contrast or something. I've also had to lower the in-game brightness quite a bit. Makes the colors look better.

The swamp's just tough. Even knowing when to crouch, creep forward and snipe Lazarus got hit quite a few times. Backtracked more than once to get health and spirit ammo.

Man, it's still a great game just for looking around. The swamp, particularly the initial DeMontford Mansion. Quite a front room. IN the old high school I'm always thinking that all that detail means lots of stuff to find.

I'm actually using the shotgun a lot vs the Crocs. Usually I don't use it at all, making the shotgun ammo my method of keeping score. The more I have, the better it feels.

The Kraken's a pain. Hiding behind a pillar isn't nearly as bad as using the cheat codes, which I like to do.

Yeah, I loved Fortescue myself. Some said he's a callback to Medi-Evil, which has a Fortescue as the clumsy hero.

I'm pretty sure that Liquid Beast you left behind can be shot from behind cell bars in one of the tunnels underneath the redneck village.

Did you notice, when Lazarus got initially captured by the croc ghost that the fat redneck was lying in a primitive sensory deprivation chamber? Lying in water in an enclosed area so he could astrally project himself. That's why the swamp "ghosts" weren't affected by the Spirit Grenade.

The machine gunners on the ship need to have the little guy sitting on their shoulder knocked out to make them vulnerable to final capture. That, like a lot of things in the game, I found out from reading the FAQs. I had a lot of trouble figuring out what to do in the game my first time through.

Usually in a computer game the important stuff stands out, looking better and more detailed. In Ghosthunter everything stands out. I spent a lot of time with the trophy case and the portraits in the Old High School, figuring there had to be something to them.

Once you finish the game, check out this page.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ShoutOut/GhostHunter

That's a list of references to other games/movies/media in Ghosthunter. It got started with an interview with a developer who pointed out some of them. Came up with a lot of them on my own. So I'm the one to blame if they're a bit of a stretch.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved.
#8Weltall1(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2011 2:30:40 PM
Finished it today, overall a great game I'm glad to have experienced.
The junkyard boss was awesome, made up for the disapointing final boss.
Hawksmoor was a pain in the butt just to hit but overall it was a pretty easy finish except for those prison guard ghosts which seemed to hit way harder than they did on the prison level.
Was expecting something about Astral in the ending, is she trapped as a ghost forever or something?
Would have been cool to have that ghost hunter robot guy unlock to play as for the whole game.
---
#9Citan22Posted 1/1/2012 9:20:22 PM
i was tempted to read through this topic but i cant! i've been meaning to start this bad boy for a week and i'll finally get around to doing that tonight.
---
MW3: Mother|#ucker Jones
FC: 2875.9317.8015
#10JoveHackPosted 1/2/2012 11:07:42 AM
Forgot a couple of trivia bits.

- There's a cheat code that puts funny little hats on a couple of enemies. Available on the GameFAQs codes page for the game.
- During the boss battle on the ship, if Lazarus accidentally shoots the tank, it will return fire.
- When fighting the teddy bears, look closely at their weapon.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved.