This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Skill Unlock Packs

#1FatherMackenziePosted 1/14/2008 7:28:45 PM
http://www.guildwars.com/products/extras/skillitempacks/default.php

What is this? Is it for people who don't want to unlock PvP skills through PvE? Or are these packs exclusive skills that can only be unlocked by buying? Or is it something else entirely that I don't really understand because I'm new to Guild Wars?
---
"Say goodbye to your secret crap!"
-The Scout, Team Fortress 2
#2HappyNautilusPosted 1/14/2008 8:16:21 PM
First one.
---
Not changing this line until Pluto is re-planeted. Started 8/24/06
Faith in Humanity Meter: lllllllllllllll
#3Murdoc the MadPosted 1/14/2008 10:41:16 PM
It's for people that don't want to take the time to unlock all the skills either by PvE or PvP. It's meant to make it easy for players to experiment and create PvP builds, as you've got everything unlocked and ready to use.
---
"And here I thought I'd get through the whole day without killing anyone." - Caine, Heroes Die
#4CzechnmymailPosted 1/14/2008 11:37:35 PM
It also helps a whole hell of a lot for hero builds. I got the unlock packs a month or so ago. I actually had a great deal of fun for about a week just devising builds for my heroes.
---
La fille danse quand elle joue avec moi, et je pense que je l'aime des fois.
Le silence n'ose pas dis; donc, quand on est ensemble, mettre les mots sur la petite dodo.
#5FatherMackenzie(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2008 12:24:28 PM
Isn't part of the fun of PvE unlocking skills for your PvP characters?
---
"Say goodbye to your secret crap!"
-The Scout, Team Fortress 2
#6CzechnmymailPosted 1/15/2008 2:02:14 PM
Eh. It saves a lot of time, gold, and hassle in just unlocking skills, and it gives your heroes a significant boost in effectiveness, at the expense of some real money. I figure that if I'm going to spend several hundred plat on skills, I might as well go for Legendary Skill Hunter.

Besides, like I said, I had a lot of fun just creating builds for all my heroes and experimenting with what was suddenly available. And, of course, it does make it really easy to just start up a PvP character, load up some templates, and head into a match.
---
La fille danse quand elle joue avec moi, et je pense que je l'aime des fois.
Le silence n'ose pas dis; donc, quand on est ensemble, mettre les mots sur la petite dodo.
#7CRCGamerPosted 1/15/2008 4:01:29 PM
Main reason I got the 4 mains ones was because I can't be bothered to play *all* of the classes... with the end result some of my heroes were kinda gimp. Also speeds up PvP fun a lot. The other gimme is that it speeds up new characters by having the skills I actually *want* available to be skill tomed.
#8HappyNautilusPosted 1/19/2008 11:36:10 PM
I fail to see how very slowly unlimiting yourself to a process claimed to have been unlimited in the first place is fun.
---
Not changing this line until Pluto is re-planeted. Started 8/24/06
Faith in Humanity Meter: lllllllllllllll
#9Duke DarkwoodPosted 1/21/2008 11:30:16 PM
It's for people who don't care for the PvE. Many GW gamers are in it for the arenas, and don't want to waste time getting skills for the build they want to use in those arenas.

Heck, with the advent of that thing in the store that gives you the Battle isles ONLY, combined with the five skill packs and the item pack, a person could indulge in the GW PvP scene without ever once even thinking about the PvE campaigns.

A long-time RPGamer like myself might think it a shame, but then, I never claimed the world had to hold to my opinion. Some of us are in it for PvP, others (like myself) are in it for PvE, and who's to say which is objectively better (never mind that both sides are crammed with people who will say their choice is better - that's hardly objective).
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann