This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!! ARE THE GUILD WARS GAMES CoNNECTED?

#1Speedster2Posted 1/20/2008 2:47:38 PM
Okay,my friend has guild wars factions... and the gamestop near me doesnt sell factions, so if i buy guild wars (the first game), can i play with him on guild wars????? And if so what content is taken out??????
#2AzinokinPosted 1/20/2008 2:54:44 PM
I believe so, he'd have to be playing Prophecies (the first game) though, you could talk to him while he is playing factions, but you cant enter factions without the game (duh)
#3Speedster2(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2008 3:00:27 PM
thanks, but he doesnt have the first game so....... I can only talk to him????
#4maoricPosted 1/20/2008 3:07:01 PM
If you both don't own at least one same game, you will only be able to talk, visit guild halls and the Battle Isles, or do PvP.

If you want to play through the campaigns together, you will need to own the same campaigns.

---
Go to synaesthesia.
~Rez
#5Duke DarkwoodPosted 1/20/2008 3:27:08 PM
Yes, they're connected, but each campaign dictates what you ahve access to. So, let's put it this way:

if you get Factions at a later date, or your friend gets Prophecies, then you (or he) can add the new game's access key TO the existing account. Then, just do a simple travel-unlock quest (you'd have to go to Lion's Arch for it, he'd have to go to Kaineng Center), and your character (or his) will be in the other land, and the two of you can travel together.

In essence, here's what the games have access to:

Prophecies (original Guild Wars): Access to Tyria and the Battle Isles.
Factions: Access to Cantha and the Battle Isles.
Nightfall: Access to Elona and the Battle Isles.
Eye of the North: Access to expansion regions only.

EotN is the only true expansion, and can therefore only be added TO an existing account in the first place.

The Battle Isles are "Core Content" - an area with most of the PvP arenas, accessible to anyone (once they have reached Lion's Arch, Kaineng Center, or Kamadan, at which point the Ship Travel icon appears, allowing them to go there).

There is another area of Core Content - the Underworld and Fissure of Woe dungeons - but because they are accessed from campaign-specific locations, you can't group with your friend for these places - you have to enter from the Temple of the Ages, while he has to enter from Zin Ku Corridor.

So, yeah, they're all connected, but you have to have "permission" to enter the right continent - permission granted by owning the campaign that takes place there.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#6Duke DarkwoodPosted 1/20/2008 3:31:54 PM
Addendum: I just remembered. If you're not averse to online shopping, you can always buy any campaign you want to add to your game through the GW Online Store. Whatever you purchase will be automatically added to the account you log in from to reach the store (there's a button for it on the character selection screen), and any relevant information (like the access key) will be emailed to you. For reference purposes only, since Arenanet automatically adds the content and you therefore don't have to.

However, all their stuff remains at their original prices - $50 for each full campaign, and $40 for the expansion - whereas retail stores have dropped the price tag on the older titles.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#7Speedster2(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2008 4:17:54 PM
okay...i think i get it now... but..... should i go to gamestop and buy guild wars phropicies or is the game way worse than factions??? or are they barely different at all?
#8Duke DarkwoodPosted 1/20/2008 5:23:29 PM
Prophecies is considered by almost everyone to be better than Factions, and is also considered the best game for new players to start with.

Also, two versions of Prophecies you may want to keep a neye out for:

GW: Game of the Year Edition - This is Prophecies, and has some free items you can call up with the /bonus command. Also, it's only $30 to get this.

GW: Platinum Edition - this one is Prophecies combined with the Eye of the North expansion, for a cheaper price than getting both separately.

Your call how you want to do it. Just telling you your options.
---
#9Gojak_v3Posted 1/20/2008 5:32:10 PM
The weapons you get from the GOTY edition are really pretty good. I'm level 15 and I'm just now starting to find bows that come close to the free one you get with the GOTY.

But then again I only really play like 6 hours a week and am at least 5 lvls up on the NPCs in the area, so I might not be questing where a person my lvl should be and finding better weapons.
#10Duke DarkwoodPosted 1/20/2008 8:13:38 PM
All the GOTY stuff has max ratings for their item type (damage on weapons (varies by type), 16 Def on the shield, 12 Energy on the two foci), and at least one modifier. Before a certain update (a few months back), this meant that any max items that had both a prefix and suffix mod would be better (with the right mods).

Since that update, though, the GotY weapons (and other similar promotional items) were altered to accept weapon mods, at least on the blank parts (like the hammer comes with a prefix, but no suffix - so you can put a suffix mod on it if you want).

Therefore, they ARE rather good now. Although that necro staff has a requirement in Curses, although its mods benefit Death and Blood. Awfully inconvenient, but then, what to casters care about the damage their weapon does, anyway?
---