necro staffs

#1Eudoras7Posted 1/22/2008 12:31:27 PM
Don't worry, I'm not selling anything. I was just wondering if someone could tell me what a good staff or weapon for a necromancer with an mm build? Thanks.
#2dekouPosted 1/22/2008 12:46:35 PM
http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Ghial%27s_Staff

Something like this. HCT is mostly quite useless, though. If you're going to sacrifice health, avoid HP mods.
#3pyber80Posted 1/22/2008 1:16:36 PM
I'd say the Nightbringer. You can pick one up for about 10k in-game, or farm for it yourself.

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/The_Nightbringer
http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Jerneh_Nightbringer

---
"I need money for pot, booze and women. Hey, at least I'm honest."
-- A street person in Vancouver, BC
#4Duke DarkwoodPosted 1/22/2008 4:26:02 PM
That is almost like the one I got on Master of Whispers. Except mine has a +1 Death (20%) instead of a second HCT. And mine does Dark instead of Cold.

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Jacado%27s_Staff

Me and a friend were helping another friend through Heart of the Shiverpeaks. The friend that was helping decided to take on this mob. Both players were rather upset that I got the drop. (They complain that, whenever they group with me, all the good drops allocate to me.)

Never mind that when I want to get a certain green, they never give it. *slaps Toshau Sharpspear upside the head* I always get them when I least expect them.

Anyway! Jacado's Staff, Nightbringer, Ghial's staff - all of them are good Death magic staves, and therefore all would be good for MMs.

Technically, the GOTY one is moderately good for it, as long as you don't care about it's Curses req (why invest anyway, since you don't use staves for the damage). But only moderately good - its one Death-related mode, and the +10 energy, are all it really has going for it. The three greens listed above clearly outclass it, and you should drop the Soul Shrieker the moment you get any of those three.

Of course, you can also grow your own staff; find a likely collector staff (or have one made at a weaponsmith) and put appropriate mods on it.

Hmm. Speaking of MM setups, got a question myself: should I have MoW go with a full set of MM Insignia, or should I get one of those Bloodstained ones?
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#5Dragonspawn1319Posted 1/22/2008 5:12:11 PM
I use a bone staff that I modded with an insightful (+5 energy) head; HCT 20% inscription; and a 20% mastery wrap.

In addition to the staff i carry around a Mabah's scepter and a collectors focus that is 15/-1 and hp+30; so i can switch off and have an instant extra 27 energy if i need it; but that really doesnt happen that often in PvE.

The bloodstained insignia is definitely worth it; wou'll be able to tell the difference in your cast times. It doesnt stack though; so you will only need 1.
---
{IGN's} Guild Wars: God Mode // BF2142: GreenBook
#6Shadow1975Posted 1/22/2008 9:17:52 PM
11-22 Cold Damage
Halves recharge of spells (20%)
+10 energy
+15 energy/-1 regen
+5 energy
+1 Death Magic (20%)

Thats what I use, and love it. I give all my MM heroes a 15/-1 weapon, as the Soul Reaping means you don't need the extra pip of regen. Always put a Bloodstained insignia on an MM, and even a Blood or Curse Necro can use one well for the various wells.

Shadow
---
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Abe Lincoln
#7Duke DarkwoodPosted 1/22/2008 10:46:17 PM
Then bloodstained it is. Now, the question is which armor component to put it on. I'm thinking hands or feet, for the obvious reasons of low hit probability.

Hmm... anyone remember which armor piece it was that had this effect before the Insignia upgrade? I think it was feet, but I'm not sure.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#8rokklobstirPosted 1/23/2008 3:41:48 AM
buy, trade for or pick up any necro staff that fits your build. buy/pick up mods that fit your build. add them to your staff. the same can be said about any weapon. there are almost no mods that unique items have that cannot be duplicated.
#9Shadow1975Posted 1/23/2008 8:16:47 AM
Bloodstained Boots were the pre-insignia armor. I use Bloodstained on boots just because I think of it in those terms. Gloves would probably be a slightly better place if you worry about damage though. Certain spells target the feet, and nothing targets the hands. Eruption, Unsteady Ground, Bed of Coals, etc. all hit the feet.

Shadow
---
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Abe Lincoln
#10Duke DarkwoodPosted 1/23/2008 8:52:26 AM
Boots it is; I'm a sucker for thematics.

Hmm.... The Warrior's Stonefist Gauntlets... the Necromancer's Bloodstained Boots.... do you recall any other location-specific armors? Do you think GuildWiki would still have such obsolete data?

Apparently I can't rely on Wiki - "Bloodstained Armor" redirected to Necromancer Tyrian Armor, while "Stonefist Gauntlets" redirected to Warrior Templar Armor - and neitehr article has a notation for the special pieces.
---