This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Old WoW player confused about GW.

#1cyborg99sreturnPosted 1/23/2008 8:52:44 AM
There's a few things in GW that I'm confused about/have questions over.
1) My fiance is a Elementalist/Mesmer, while I'm a Ranger/Necromancer(I thought the idea of having a beast pet[s] and undead minions would work quite well). How should I put points into my Skills(I think they are called).
2) How do I learn new abilities? In WoW, all you had to do was just go to your trainer every few levels and buy them.
3) Is there any sort of combat log I can look at? Or any way to inspect other players/see my own stats(Armor, Agility, etc)?

I suppose this is all, for now.
---
The metal blinds the eye of yet another lost existence...
#2maoricPosted 1/23/2008 9:20:00 AM
1) My fiance is a Elementalist/Mesmer, while I'm a Ranger/Necromancer(I thought the idea of having a beast pet[s] and undead minions would work quite well). How should I put points into my Skills(I think they are called).

This idea is probably not the best option for a Ranger/Necromancer. A ranger's energy pool and energy regeneration make them unsuitable for maintaining minions, and the high point investment in Death Magic needed to make minions worthwhile would hinder your ability to function well as a ranger.

2) How do I learn new abilities? In WoW, all you had to do was just go to your trainer every few levels and buy them.

Depending on which campaign you are playing in and which areas you are in, you may have access to quests that can award skills for free. Other than that, skills are sold from skill trainers in most towns for a set amount of gold (increasing from 50 to 1,000 per skill bought) and one skill point. Hold Alt to bring up NPC names and look for one with [Skills] after their name.

Nightfall and Eye of the North also have Hero Skill Trainers, which can teach you skills in return for Hero Skill points which you get when gaining levels of certain titles (Lightbringer, Sunspear, Asuran Faction, Norn Faction, Dwarven Faction, Vanguard Faction) or from spending 1,000 gold and one skill point.

3) Is there any sort of combat log I can look at? Or any way to inspect other players/see my own stats(Armor, Agility, etc)?

There are no ways to view the stats of other players. You can see your own stats by pressing K to see/change attribute point levels, secondary profession (once you unlock the ability to change professions), and your builds, H to see your experience, skill points, faction, and titles, and L to see a list of your quests.

I also suggest checking out the wikis for more information (in addition to asking other questions).

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

---
Go to synaesthesia.
~Rez
#3maoricPosted 1/23/2008 9:21:38 AM
Aaand I forgot: Your current armor, weapons, and inventory are accessed by pressing I.

---
Go to synaesthesia.
~Rez
#4cyborg99sreturn(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2008 9:25:40 AM
Mmm... okay, so if the zerging strat wouldn't work well, what would be better?
I've read in some places that a Touch Ranger would work well, but how does it work?
Plus, I've heard it's the cheesiest build for a ranger, any truth to that? I *try* to stay away from cheese if possible.
---
#5dekouPosted 1/23/2008 9:34:13 AM
http://www.pvxwiki.com/wiki/Build:R/N_Touch_Ranger

Touch ranger is cheesy. It's used mainly for low-end PvP, like Random Arenas or Alliance Battles, since its damage isn't high enough for PvE and smart players can counter it easily. Note that you have to own both Prophecies and Factions for this build to be effective.

As a ranger you should rely on your primary skills. The class is very versatile. You could use a couple of necro skills, like Plague Touch, to assist you in what you do, but generally it's not a good idea to rely on your secondary profession skills too much.
#6cyborg99sreturn(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2008 9:36:22 AM
Alright, I think I understand now, the secondary is just there to support the first, and shouldn't really be used over the primary.
...or something like that, I suck with words. >_>
Thanks for the help.
---
#7moscPosted 1/23/2008 2:45:48 PM
there are very very few examples of good builds that feature more from a secondary skill than I primary skill. After all, you could aways flip and then get the benefits of the class you're stressing more. Touch rangers are one example where necro skills are featured even though it's a ranger (because rangers/necros have expertise, necro/rangers don't). There's also Obsidian tanks (warrior/elementalist) which use a lot of earth magic but often prefer W/E instead of E/W because they get a few points in strength (warrior only). Both have extremely nitch uses though.
---
Currently Playing: GW:EN, Puzzle Quest, Golden Sun: TLA, W40k:DOW, GH3, TF2, Zelda: PH, MTG:CCG, partypoker...
#8Z_BLADEPosted 1/25/2008 3:04:57 AM
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head there with the secondary profession thing.

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Getting_started_%28Prophecies%29

Is a good read for new players.
---
Signature: Hello.