This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Concerning Elite Skills

#1CyrlousPosted 1/23/2008 9:16:16 PM
Ok, so I'm just trying to figure out how many elite skills there actually are for my character. While playing the game I noticed that there is a title path for capturing certain numbers of elite skills. I need 90 for Tyria, 120 for Cantha, and 141 for Elona. So I went on to the official guild wars wiki to scope out where to look for them all and I discovered something rather startling. For each of my two classes (I'm R/E) there are only 35 possible elite skills. Therefore, how on earth can I possibly meet the requirement for any of the title tracks since 70 is the most elite skills I can get?
---
Ness rules!
#2Shadow1975Posted 1/23/2008 9:21:34 PM
Change your secondary class, cap elites for all classes.

Shadow
---
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Abe Lincoln
#3Cyrlous(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2008 9:50:28 PM
Ah, ok. But, that would give me way more than 141 would it not? Also, do I get some sort of in-game message once I've gotten all the elite skills for a given profession? And, since I'm fairly new to this game, if you change your secondary profession and then switch back later, are all of the skills you unlocked earlier for that profession still available?
---
Ness rules!
#4pyber80Posted 1/23/2008 10:29:09 PM
Ah, ok. But, that would give me way more than 141 would it not?

Yes, you will have more than 141 Elite skills if you cap all the skills in all the campaigns + EotN. The 141 is just the Elites that are available in Elona (Nightfall in other words).

Also, do I get some sort of in-game message once I've gotten all the elite skills for a given profession?

Hit the 'H' button, and under the Titles tab you will find a title track called Elonian Skill Hunter (Or Tyrian, or Canthan for the other two campaigns). When you've capped all the skills for a specific campaign you will earn the title for that campaign. Capture all Elite skills across all campaigns to earn the title Legendary Skill Hunter.

And, since I'm fairly new to this game, if you change your secondary profession and then switch back later, are all of the skills you unlocked earlier for that profession still available?

Yes. Once you've unlocked a skill (Elite or regular) with one character (or by purchasing the Skill Packs from the GW Store), it is available to all characters on that account. Simply visit a Skills NPC to purchase and equip the skills to different characters. Your Heroes (if any) have free access to any skills you have unlocked on your account for their class as well.

---
"I need money for pot, booze and women. Hey, at least I'm honest."
-- A street person in Vancouver, BC
#5Duke DarkwoodPosted 1/23/2008 11:11:11 PM
One thing to note: 30 of the elite skills are "Core" - found in Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall alike. As such, they count towards all three titles. Let's say you're a Ranger and capture Barrage. That adds a point to your Tyrian Skill Hunter track, your Canthan Skill Hunter track, and your Elonian Skill Hunter Track.

Which basically means that 30 of the Elites on the lists are overlapping.

Tyrian Elite Skill Hunter: 90 skills (30 Core + 60 Prophecies)
Canthan ESH: 120 skills (30 Core + 90 Factions)
Elonian ESH: 141 skills (30 Core + 111 Nightfall)

Now, for a breakdown by profession:

CORE: Five skills for each core class (Elementalist, Mesmer, Monk, Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior).

PROPHECIES (Tyria): 10 each for Elementalist, Monk, Necromancer, and Ranger. 11 for Warrior, 9 for Mesmer. No, I don't understand why either.

FACTIONS (Cantha): 10 for each Core Class, and 15 for the Assassin and Ritualist.

NIGHTFALL (Elona): 10 for the Core Classes, Assassins, and Ritualists, and 15 for the Dervish and Paragon. And one special Elite Skill, Lightbringer Signet, usable by any class.

This is a total of 291 Elite Skills, but there are a handful more that do not count for any title track:

Junundu Siege, an elite usable under special circumstances in the Desolation region of Nightfall.
Ursan Blessing, Volfen Blessing, and Raven Blessing - a trio of PvE-only Elite Skills granted from certain Norn quests in Eye of the North.

Which technically brings the count to 295, 294 of which can be learned (Junundu Siege is available only when you ride a Junundu in the Desolation, and only after a certain primary quest).

And now, the crown jewel of my post: A complete list of Elite Skills, sorted by campaign and profession. Click on any one of them to learn where to get them. (And click on the names of the bosses it lists to know where they hang out.) AND you can print a hardcopy of the list to check off/cross out which ones you've gotten. (My printer hates me, so I just had to systematically go down the list so I don't lose track.)

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Elite_skills_list

One more thing. Once you complete any individual Skill hunter title track, a new track will appear on your list: legendary Skill Hunter (1/3 continents). You get the Legendary Skill Hunter title once you've gotten all three continents done. I am 44 skills away from this goal (all of them Elonian), awaiting only the next time they offer Double Experience for Elite Skill Captures. (I know I don't need to wait for it, but I figure that, unless I run out of other things to do while waiting for such, why not make the most of it?)

It takes time, money, and nearly 300 Skill points to pull it off, but that list on GuildWiki is an invaluable help.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#6CzechnmymailPosted 1/24/2008 2:32:14 AM
Yeah, I think I should reiterate that last part of Duke's post.

"It takes time, money, and nearly 300 Skill points to pull it off,"

It takes time, money, a

money

You need a lot of it. Almost enough to buy two sets of Vabbian armor.
---
La fille danse quand elle joue avec moi, et je pense que je l'aime des fois.
Le silence n'ose pas dis; donc, quand on est ensemble, mettre les mots sur la petite dodo.
#7rokklobstirPosted 1/24/2008 3:51:17 AM
yes but money is very easy to get in this game. if you go out to capture the skill yourself and kill and pick up everything along the way, you will pretty much collect enough money to get the next elite skill. getting money and skill points pretty much just happens automatically unless you get people to run you everywhere.

it should be noted that after you change your secondary (usually at the cost of 500g but free when you do it as part of the proph campaign) you can switch to any secondary you want by toggling a drop down menu in your skills screen.
#8Shadow1975Posted 1/24/2008 6:57:59 AM
Tell me about spending money on skill capping again.... I don't understand that part.

Monk on account 1: Legendary Skill Hunter
Ranger on account 1: Legendary Skill Hunter
Necro on account 1: Tyrian + Canthan Skill Hunter
Mesmer on account 1: Tyrian + Canthan Skill Hunter

Monk on account 2: Tyrian + Canthan Skill Hunter

Maybe I'd have more money if I didn't cap so many elites?

Shadow
---
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Abe Lincoln
#9rokklobstirPosted 1/24/2008 9:16:05 AM
all im saying is that you earn about 1k getting to most elites if you just kill everything in your way.
#10Scottie_theNerd(Moderator)Posted 1/24/2008 11:02:14 AM
You will rarely -- if ever -- get 1k per skill cap. Seriously. Half of the skills are a 3-minute walk outside an outpost, so you'd be lucky to make 100g per cap. To amass 1k worth of drops from skill capping, you would need to have opened several chests, received some rare drops, or actually vanquished the entire area.

The concept of "making money as you go" works when you're only covering basic needs: ID kits, salvage kits, the occasional armor upgrade or item purchase. Going for Skill Hunter titles goes beyond normal expenditure, and you will need another source of income to get that amount of money. I got my Legendary Skill Hunter title, and I could only scrape up the money by trading item mods. Skill caps paying themselves off? Unless you like vanquishing an area every time you enter it, you will not make 1k per skill cap.
---
http://scottie-thenerd.deviantart.com