GW PvP Newbs (Some questions and Rambling: War and Ele based)

#1replicantPosted 2/28/2011 4:51:01 AM
Alrighty, I just want to start off saying that I have a pretty strong background in PvP in other MMORPG's (Dark Age of Camelot [R8 Solo Hunter], World of Warcraft [R13 & 2500+ Arena], Warhammer Online [2nd R40+ Bechafen IH], Ultima Online [Gankaholic >_>], etc so I'm pretty solid on the basics of Situational Awareness, Objective based gameplay, 1v1 Tactics, Terrain Advantage, blah blah (You're bored by now...).

Ok, now to the meat of my inquiries. Last night was the first time doing any PvP in GW. The only reason I did it for the moment was to get Cartography % for Fort Aspenwood and Jade Quarry. After I had uncovered what I needed and had helped my GF get hers uncovered I began to play the actual matches. I've avoided PvP mainly because my time is limited and this is my GF's first online game not done through Facebook so we have been doing solid PvE when I can get online to maximize our characters and HOM (31/50 so far). She didn't have any interest in PvP until last night. After she began to cackle after killing someone to making sailors blush when she died I knew I had a future PvP'er on my hands (This is a good thing).

For now I am going to stick with just doing FA and JQ here and there with her as a break from PvE and to get her feet wet in PvP so I'm not interested (for the moment) in RA, CA, HA, AB, and GvG information.

She is using a fairly straightforward Fire Ele AOE nuke build that she uses in PvE. I myself played around and I am using a Earth Shaker Hammer build I threw together based off of my PvE version (Just had to take out the rep abilities). I figure that in FA/JQ you'd run more solo friendly PvP builds since we're not going to be playing with a Team that has me or her in a defined role. More than likely I see us running with the others and helping with objectives obviously, but more as a DPS Duo of sorts. I should point out that she doesn't want to play a heal/prot build so that is right out cause she is in the "I'M BLOWING STUFF UP!" phase of gaming still. My Hammer build worked ok as a nice frontline KB setup for her nukes. Just perusing I see Magehunter's Smash and Devastating Hammer as the hammer Elites of choice on PvXwiki.

I am very interested in builds you have suggestions for us to use there for Warrior and Elementalist. We have no problem going to earn/capture whatever skill we may not already have. If the build requires any setups or combos to utilize please explain them even if it's just a basic chain of skills so I can explain it better to her. She is definitely Nuker mentality and I am more about reasonable damage with solid control which is why I like Hammer KB builds, but I am open if you feel something would work better. If I can setup someone for her to tear apart she is happy which in turn makes me happier. ^^ Any special gear runes/insignias for the builds would be helpful as well.

Also, I'd personally be happy to read over any strats for all of the PvP areas to set me up for future matches and understandings of how each class works with each other or against each other. I enjoy PvP from just smashing someone to spreadsheeting abilities for maximum efficiency. Any sites that go indepth would be pretty nice for me. I am one of those guys who counts frame advantage in fighting games, so I geek out on PvP quite easily.

For now the only info I have is from Guildwarsguru (which is kinda jumbled), wiki/wikia (very generic), and PvXWiki (builds, but no depth). Thanks for putting up with this long*** ramble and I appreciate all help given.
---
Bear "replicant" Powell
"I am Shaolin-Style!"
#2Shadow1975Posted 2/28/2011 6:13:45 AM
I won't talk about builds much, but I will mention something you didn't. Whether either of you realised it or not, a match in FA and JQ is not won by the players so much as the NPCs. In particular the Turtles and Juggernaughts. The other NPCs factor in as well, for various reasons, but those 2 are the main thing to pay attention to in FA and JQ (though in FA the gate gaurds and healer NPCs are more important than the Juggers for the Luxons). Terrain also makes a big difference, as it can be used to stall NPCs, hide from enemies, and reach targets out of range. As a nuker, your girlfriend should be making use of the walls to hide behind while nuking if she isn't yet, and focusing her fire on the NPCs at shrines or the Juggers/Turtles.
---
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Abe Lincoln
#3LokiISPPosted 2/28/2011 6:45:05 AM
Indeed. JQ/FA are not REALLY PvP due to this.....most of your success has to do with either blowing up cap points or defending/IMS/killing Carriers.

In JQ, Eles have plenty of options.....again, her focus being blowing up Quarries or Guard posts, more or less. Your focus will be more limited (wars in JQ are far less useful than in other places, sorry).....to either griefing casters/ganking turtles or Jugs....or in SOME sense, capping at least guard posts.

In FA, Wars can be very useful running Amber, given the combo of survivability and IMS. This is mostly what I do when FAing on my war....then again, I have WAY more fun doing FA on my Ranger and ganking Turtles.

Overall, just figure out what ROLES are needed in each format, depending on the side you are playing....and then figure out how your class/build can fit that role best.
---
XBL GT: Loki ISP
Clan Leader, XBL Clan Wolfpacklan...www.wolfpacklan.org
#4replicant(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2011 4:45:04 PM
Yeah, the strategies there are very much needed for us to learn. Last night was basically killing any NPC in front of me and as many players as I could get to since I figured it slowed them down. I know it's more mission oriented objectives rather than raw PvP, but it is a start for her and I.

I personally prefer some objectives to mix up the straight pvp (Think: Domination from Unreal Tournament or Arathi Basin from World of Warcraft or even a basic CTF). It's more enjoyable to me than Arena (Think WoW, not sure about GW, but I figure RA and CA fits the profile) play where it's more FOTM and Meta Play to get that hard counter on your opponents team. She is nowhere near Arena play level since Situational Awareness and LOS (for example) are unknown concepts to her that I am just starting to introduce her to.

For JQ and FA I need to find good maps this week showing the layout, spawn points, and objective coordination overviews. Learning the choke points, class strengths/weaknesses per map, and such will help me guide her (and myself) toward understanding basic concepts for the PvP in GW.

Do you feel the builds on PvXwiki are good jumping off points? Most of the stuff on there seems old so could be outdated, but for all I know it could be useful. The PvE stuff has worked fine or at least good enough. Solid Builds are still much appreciated.
---
Bear "replicant" Powell
"I am Shaolin-Style!"
#5SolhdierPosted 2/28/2011 6:59:11 PM
I've avoided PvP mainly because my time is limited
I find casual PVE far more time consuming than casual PVP (RA).
---
Mexican [Sage]
#6replicant(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2011 9:58:47 PM
Time is limited and I'd rather spend it playing the game with my GF doing what interests her to improve her desire to play games online with me.
---
Bear "replicant" Powell
"I am Shaolin-Style!"
#7LokiISPPosted 3/1/2011 6:17:26 AM
I avoid PvX like the plague. So, I cannot speak to the worth of the builds there.

I will say it isn't TOO hard if you pick a role and focus. Also, go in and watch what folks are running that are playing the role you want to play.
---
#8dekouPosted 3/1/2011 8:56:40 AM
I think large-scale PvP like JQ/FA and AB is actually harder than RA to get into. There's a lot of NPCs and the maps are rather big, so you must know what you're supposed to do and where you're supposed to go to be useful. In RA, you just have to make a solid build, play it well and hope you get a team that covers the other roles somewhat and isn't full of complete idiots.
#9Psykic PetrolPosted 3/1/2011 9:48:54 AM
To win in RA is easier than in JQ/FA. To win consistently in RA is much, much harder than in JQ/FA.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english. - Bean0
#10LokiISPPosted 3/1/2011 9:52:45 AM
Totally agree.

JQ/FA is MOSTLY about strategy and then builds......most epic fails are due to bad strategic approach.
---