It's Official: August 28th, 2012

#1Duke DarkwoodPosted 6/28/2012 10:50:03 AM
Most of you already know this, I'm sure. But if anyone here has missed the blog announcement and avoids the GW2 board like it's some sort of contagious disease, here you go.

http://www.arena.net/blog/announcing-the-guild-wars-2-launch-date

Arenanet has officially announced the Guild Wars 2 release date for August 28th, 2012. And there will be a third and final Beta Weekend Event in July, from the 20th to the 22nd.

Pre-Orderers - you get to start on August 27th.
Pre-Purchasers - we get to start on August 25th.

Just thought I'd pass this on to anybody who pops in and doesn't know yet.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#2CherishPosted 6/28/2012 1:48:26 PM
You're so considerate, Duke ^_^
---
If Anet mailed crates of cash to all GW players, some people would still complain about how it was packed. - Plague4490
#3Chrono007Posted 6/28/2012 1:56:24 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4Duke Darkwood(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2012 7:23:14 PM
Not exactly.

To reserve names, you simply have to.... log on between 1/1/12 and (whenever they say is the cutoff for forming the reservation list).

The period for which these names will BE reserved is from the beginning of the head-start until the end of Release Day itself. After Launch Day ends, the reservations are over. Names are up for grabs. (This is to prevent "sitting on a name you don't want to use just to lock others out of using it" and to also prevent "inactive people tying up reserved names forever".)

What this MEANS:

Pre-Purchases have FOUR DAYS to make all the names they want to carry over from the linked GW1 account.
Pre-Orderers have TWO DAYS to do that.
Launch Day Buyers have THAT ONE DAY, ITSELF to do it.

As I said in an earlier thread that touched on this subject (I forget if it was this board or 2's), it seems a bit TOO limiting. One week would be plenty of time for people to choose which reserved names to use, and will still free up any names unclaimed shortly after. But then, I don't make Arenanet policy.

After the grace period ends, all names are up for grabs.

Also, take note: You can NOT reserve one-word names, even though they are allowed in GW2, because they are NOT allowed in GW1. If you got any one-word name you really want, make it as soon as possible.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#5LokiISPPosted 6/29/2012 8:44:37 AM
Yeah, I got my email....so I knew from that.

The 1-4 days reserve window is dramatically too short. There is a big gap between "squatting on a name" and whether or not folks like myself can 100% guarantee the ability to login for any amount of time on specific dates.

You know, stuff like careers....families....more important things.

I guess I'll just have to hope that I have at least an hour or so to make all of my characters that I absolutely want (I can think of at least three names I really want to keep).

Shortsighted move on Anet's part.....IMHO. Giving the finger to GW fans who don't buy on day one = fail. I expect this will be extended to a week or maybe even a month (which is what I would have selected, btw) by the time August rolls around.

Still. glad we have a date.

I don't avoid the GW2 forum here....I just haven't had time for the betas etc, so there is nothing really for me to talk about. ;)
---
XBL GT: Loki ISP
Clan Leader, XBL Clan Wolfpacklan...www.wolfpacklan.org
#6SKA_Posted 6/29/2012 3:28:53 PM
lame you have to preorder to keep your names.

oh well, in all likeliness i wont even be playing GWoW.
---
it's not easy being this awesome and modest
#7Chrono007Posted 6/29/2012 8:03:51 PM
I was wrong! You have the launch date to reserve your names as well. I'm going to delete my post now :(
---
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
--Albert Einstein
#8Chris616263_Posted 7/7/2012 1:55:23 PM
It's Official: World ends August 27th, 2012.
---
XBL Chris616263| Shepard. Wrex. Shepard. Wrex. Shepard. Wrex. Shepard. Wrex. Shepard. Wrex. Shepard. Wrex. Shepard. Wrex. Shepard. Wrex. Shepard. Wrex. Shepard.
#9Duke Darkwood(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2012 3:07:43 PM
Hey, Chris. Missed ya.

But even if that's true, it means the people with head starts can still play. HA!
---
#10EternalNetherPosted 7/9/2012 6:38:14 AM
SKA_ posted...
lame you have to preorder to keep your names.

oh well, in all likeliness i wont even be playing GWoW.

You're one of the most dim-witted and shortsighted people I have ever met.