The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Well, considering that NC Soft suddenly shut down City of Heroes...

#1shipwreckersPosted 12/7/2012 2:15:38 PM
... I'm getting a little worried for this game. I knew going into this that NC Soft was a rather greedy corporation, and many Guild Wars players have already moved on to GW 2. I JUST picked up the "Complete Collection" a few weeks ago and started playing for the first time (well after Guild Wars 2 launched). But after seeing how they totally pulled the plug on CoH, I fear this game will get shut down as well.

There's sooooo much content to this game, and I'd hate to see the game get shafted before I even have time to experience it. We'll just have to wait and see how long NC allows the servers to stay up. They hardly give any warning whatsoever when it comes to shutting down their MMO's.
---
Money is overrated...
#2GarquillPosted 12/8/2012 9:45:54 AM
They're not shutting it down anytime soon considering the Hall of Monument's connection to GW2
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#3walladude2Posted 12/9/2012 10:27:10 AM(edited)
I'd like to at some point get GWAMM/50 HoM points (not that those really matter anyway, I could care less about weapon skins). I'm just hoping they keep this going long enough that I can

In the event servers do get shut down, is it possible to patch the game to make it playable offline with heroes, etc?
---
http://gifsoup.com/view/35476/bill-haverchuck-dance-o.gif
#4shipwreckers(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 12:14:56 PM(edited)
walladude2 posted...
In the event servers do get shut down, is it possible to patch the game to make it playable offline with heroes, etc?

From strictly a gameplay point of view, it's certainly would be a legitimate idea to allow offline play with heroes/henchmen. Heck, when you're not standing around in town, you're in your own little copy of the world anyway (the game even tells you this in a tooltip).

As for whether it's technically possible, you'd have to find some way to set up your own private server. The main issue about MMO's is that most of what you do or own isn't stored locally. Even the gear on your character's back is stored in a server somewhere out there. You wouldn't simply be patching something, you'd have to create an entire local database that handles all data just like the NC Soft servers are doing now (many WoW private servers use MySQL to do this).

Possible...? yes.
Probable...? lolno. (though I agree that it would be a great idea)

The fact that there is still a loose tie to GW 2 through the Hall of Monuments (as Garquille14 stated) is somewhat reassuring. But unfortunately with NC Soft, Money > Fanservice.
---
Money is overrated...
#5MrXGamerPosted 12/16/2012 1:21:57 AM
I'd be very surprised and disappointed if they shut it before GW2's lifespan (probably 5 years) is over. As far as I know, running servers for a game like this isn't nearly as expensive as your regular MMO. It's pretty much like your normal online RPG that supports co-op, except that it also stores your progress/inventory on servers.

If they really want more money out of this game, it would make better sense that to just make it completely free to download and rely on in-game cash shop. They have squeezed every sale out of the game that they can. A complete F2P model would definitely bring in players that never bothered to check it out before. I know I loved the game so much that I gave them a lot more money through their cash shop.
---
Asus Z77 Sabertooth | i7 3770k | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 1600MHz | Crucial m4 SSD | Blu-ray | Win 7 x64
#6shipwreckers(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 9:51:55 AM(edited)
MrXGamer posted...
As far as I know, running servers for a game like this isn't nearly as expensive as your regular MMO. It's pretty much like your normal online RPG that supports co-op, except that it also stores your progress/inventory on servers.

You know, with all of the henchmen and heroes you can get, you can practically play this game single-player now (with the exception of a few quests that "force" you to be in a group). The problem is (as you said) all of your stuff is saved on the servers. If there was some way to save your progress and items locally, I'd almost be just as happy with that.

Of course, any game with PVP is NEVER going to even think about saving stuff locally. It'd be a cheater's paradise.
---
Money is overrated...
#7alicekwokPosted 2/9/2013 10:18:35 PM
Probably shut down by late 2014
#8shipwreckers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 10:20:32 AM
I'm glad there is still a good amount of community resources dedicated to this game (wiki's, FAQ's, etc.)

Even though the player count has gone down, it's still relatively easy to find help with quests locations and playing strategies.
---
Money is overrated...
http://oi48.tinypic.com/2eofgon.jpg
#9shipwreckers(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 1:15:56 PM(edited)
Well, the Wiki is insightful (from strictly a "database" info-dump point of view). But, is there a place that has an actual questing guide for each expansion based on level? For example, for World of Warcraft, someone made a full questing map color coded BY LEVEL helping people find where to go next when they hit a dead end with quests.

http://www.wowcentrum.com/images/default/wow-leveling-guide-1-85_kingdoms_s.jpg
http://www.wowcentrum.com/images/default/wow-leveling-guide-1-85_kalimdor_s.jpg

I'm wondering if there is something like this for Guild Wars+Expansions somewhere out there.
---
Money is overrated...
http://oi48.tinypic.com/2eofgon.jpg
#10Psykic PetrolPosted 3/11/2013 1:38:08 PM
Most of the quests and areas are designed so the player is more or less the suitable level when they reach it, assuming they didn't skip parts of the game (ie. they're a new player). Prophecies has a few red herrings like Lornar's Pass and possibly Rotscale, but the others are pretty much as-is as far as level goes.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0