This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Well, considering that NC Soft suddenly shut down City of Heroes...

#11shipwreckers(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 1:47:42 PM
Psykic Petrol posted...
assuming they didn't skip parts of the game (ie. they're a new player).

Aside from the "red herrings" you mentioned, I think one of the biggest issues with Prophecies was all of the "Pre-Searing" content you could skip if you didn't know about it up front. It's crazy how much of your leveling you can get done in the prologue before you even step out the gate. But once you're beyond that, it's too late.

So yeah, if you miss a huge portion of that, you're probably going to get stuck at some points (or have to grind a bit to catch up).
---
Money is overrated...
http://oi48.tinypic.com/2eofgon.jpg
#12Psykic PetrolPosted 3/11/2013 1:54:11 PM
It's far, far faster to level after leaving pre-searing. People seeing high-level characters there often don't understand those people have spent a long time (can be months) doing that there and are not first characters. There's nothing in pre-searing that can't be gotten in post-searing, aside from a few optional items that's only relevant in Eye of the North, which a new player has no reason to dabble in until much later.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0
#13shipwreckers(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 2:03:15 PM
Psykic Petrol posted...
There's nothing in pre-searing that can't be gotten in post-searing, aside from a few optional items that's only relevant in Eye of the North, which a new player has no reason to dabble in until much later.

Fair enough. (After all, If they had anything MAJOR that was truly pre-searing only, they'd risk pissing off a bunch of players who were blocked from getting critical items/skills.) I guess it's just a matter of preference as to how much time to actually spend there.
---
Money is overrated...
http://oi48.tinypic.com/2eofgon.jpg
#14shipwreckers(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 7:09:57 AM
I wonder why they never programmed a simple "jump" system in this game. That's one of the few quirks that puzzled me. When there is a 2 foot drop off, but there's an invisible wall, and I have to travel a quarter-mile around the path to get to the other side, that can be a bit frustrating.

But at least it cuts down on people getting stuck in the environment and prevents them from having to add in a "fall-damage" system in the game.
---
Money is overrated...
#15Psykic PetrolPosted 4/10/2013 11:14:36 AM(edited)
Game engine limitations, actually. There is no actual z-axis to work with.

A simple example of this is on the Underworld map (level 1 of Hall of Heroes & Heroes' Ascent); if you laid traps in the underpass below the bridge, an enemy travelling across the bridge above will trigger them. And vice versa.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0
#16shipwreckers(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 12:08:36 PM(edited)
Interesting. I guess that gives the expression "the world is flat" a whole new meaning. To be fair, the navigational annoyances (invisible walls, etc.) are small price to pay for the beautiful world design in this game. With games like WoW, you'd have vertical movement ability, but the actual world design was rather plain in comparison. Since you could jump around, they had to be careful about you getting stuck in objects or crevasses, and many props you would run straight through without any collision at all. This is especially true in many of the low level zones from back in "vanilla" WoW.

Of course, the fact that you can instantly travel to any city/town you've been to from the map eases movement frustration as well.
---
Money is overrated...
#17shipwreckers(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 12:45:53 AM
I'm a firm believer that ALL games should let you freely respec at any given time like Guild Wars. Most mmo's I've played force you to pay a steadily increasing fee each time you change your mind about something. The worst ones are the ones that make you pay REAL MONEY to respec. That's just a dirty cash-grab, IMO.
---
Money is overrated...
#18iXCelticXiPosted 5/29/2013 3:28:59 AM
When they shut down this game, I am going to be very sad v.v
---
LoL IGN: Greedy
#19shipwreckers(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 9:10:40 AM
I've been tinkering around with some of the classes, but I keep struggling to decide which campaign to create them under. I'll get through a few levels and be like....," nah, let's try this again."
---
Money is overrated...
#20shipwreckers(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 3:57:18 PM
Man, this topic is old. I can't believe I posted the OP back in 2012...

Well, Guild Wars is still up, so that's a good thing!
---
Money is overrated...