This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anyone else go back to this series?

#1mixedlionPosted 3/25/2012 6:28:03 PM
I've played The Sims since the first game ever game up to The Sims 3. The Sims 2 so far as amazed me since the year it came out, and it's now considered to be a pretty old game. Reinstalled The Sims 2 last night plus Nightlife, Pets, Free Time, Teen Style and H & M stuff and I have to say the game's still pretty amazing after not playing for over two years. You can go on dates, breed pets, and have generations of sims with family memories and legacies.

The Sims 3 disappointed me to no end. I played it for a week and uninstalled it when I got it. I tried to like it, but they took out so much of what I enjoyed about The Sims 2. Thus I've never gotten an expansion pack for the Sims 3 and to this day it collects dust. I think the Sims 3 had a few good points but nothing that makes me want to play. To me the series is ruined pretty much, especially seeing the expansion packs look as if they are shiny jewels that do nothing but look shiny.

Does anyone else feel disappointed of the direction of the Sims series and went back to The Sims 2 as well? Would love to hear your story :)
---
Currently playing: Soul Calibur V, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Icewind Dale and Dragon Age: Origins
#2cyber m2Posted 3/28/2012 1:12:03 PM
Yes I am playing Sims 2. I just "Le Spa" in my downtown area. I tried Sims 3, but I found I am set in my ways, which involve playing the Sims 2. I have custom neighborhood built from scratch and dozens of community lots and mansions...also built from scratch in the Sims 2!
---
There are 4 types of forum posters-those need help, the whiners, and the fanatic defending fanboys. Why else would people make posts? Jeepers a clue.
#3Koga no GoshiPosted 4/18/2012 12:19:52 PM
Yes, I also recently (within the last month) reinstalled Sims 2 for the first time in a few years and am completely in love with it again. Like you I was also a heavy player of Sims 1 and Sims 2 and pretty much bypassed Sims 3. On the trivial side-- I think everyone in Sims 3 is ugly. It's like they got Oblivion's face creator software. On the meatier side-- I think the game is too performance heavy (do I really need to fully see the whole neighborhood in complete 360 while playing in my house? Especially when the tradeoff is how horrible speedup is and such?) and I also think it was created as an engine for selling piecemeal content on the Sims store. I think that's why so much was missing and it feels like so much was taken out. They wanted in the original design for you to have to buy features and additions and items in microtransactions through the store. So the end result is, you pay more to get less content with the Sims 3 than Sims 2, which was massively well developed. Espeically now-- I never had all the expansions for Sims 2 when they came out fresh/new. Now you can buy packs on Origin that combine like 1 expansion with 2 stuff packs or similar at great deals. So so much new stuff has been added into Sims 2 for me at a really low price compared to how much it would cost to get similar content for Sims 3.
---
"Koga no Goshi, I agree with everything you've said, and I've read all of it. You're everything that a TES fan should be." --- Itachi62
#4mixedlion(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2012 10:54:52 PM
Its nice to see people still appreciate this gem. This was before EA got money hungry and made their money off DLC. Sims 2 ftw :)
---
Mass Effect 1's story & roleplaying + Mass Effect 3's combat, banter and relationships - EA = the perfect game
#5Koga no GoshiPosted 4/22/2012 1:04:05 AM
Yeah I really have to say I miss the days where the contract between gamers and developers was you got what you purchased. Not "well we will knowingly release a partially finished, unfinished, unpolished or missing advertised features game with an eye towards releasing DLC later." I think Sims 3 had little excuse to not release starting out with at *least* as much as the base Sims 2 game had, plus whatever improvements (like the open world) came with being a sequel. I think releasing a sequel where you *have* to buy expansions or DLC just to get as much as the previous game is a pretty poor or at least highly questionable policy as far as product quality and the customer is concerned.

I saw a youtube where a player documented the differences between the base release version games of Sims2 and Sims3, and Sims3 had fewer items/clothes/hairstyles etc. in the hundreds, when all put together and counted. That's pretty sad for a sequel imo.
---
"Koga no Goshi, I agree with everything you've said, and I've read all of it. You're everything that a TES fan should be." --- Itachi62
#6mixedlion(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2012 9:24:55 PM
Koga no Goshi posted...
Yeah I really have to say I miss the days where the contract between gamers and developers was you got what you purchased. Not "well we will knowingly release a partially finished, unfinished, unpolished or missing advertised features game with an eye towards releasing DLC later." I think Sims 3 had little excuse to not release starting out with at *least* as much as the base Sims 2 game had, plus whatever improvements (like the open world) came with being a sequel. I think releasing a sequel where you *have* to buy expansions or DLC just to get as much as the previous game is a pretty poor or at least highly questionable policy as far as product quality and the customer is concerned.

I saw a youtube where a player documented the differences between the base release version games of Sims2 and Sims3, and Sims3 had fewer items/clothes/hairstyles etc. in the hundreds, when all put together and counted. That's pretty sad for a sequel imo.

It is.

The Sims 2 had everything going for it even in the base game. The fact they were so lifelike, with memories, DNA, aspirations, and the fact you can go on for generations added to a real storytelling element in the game.

Brown hair was brown. Blonde was blonde. And there was a true black color. Same with eye colors (except possibly hazel...but even then mods are free).

Each expansion pack for the Sims 2 added to that realism.
University- Young adult life phase, college, added careers
Nightlife- Dating, downtown, turn ons and turn-offs
Open For Business- Sims owning their own businesses
Pets- Cats and dogs...they too have generations and genetics
Freetime- Buggy as it may be, hobbies and interests were added plus townies growing up with you
Seasons- title explains itself
Apartment Life- never got this one but yeah...apartments
Bon Voyage- same deal, never got this one but vacations

Now what did the Sims 3 have?

Hair coloring was a mess. Brown hair looked reddish. You had to use the slider for naturally black hair. Eye colors were atrocious...all were shades of orange.

All Sims skin was a bunch of sliders...in theory that would be great if you had two sims of different colors have a child (since most mixed race kids fit in-between). Oh wait...no genetics. Scratch that.

Yeah you had personality traits, but the game was so streamlined. No DNA (all kids were clones of their parents...making it more creepy than realistic), no memories...that made the whole aspiration thing so pointless. You can't even enter buildings. Sims 2 you could do ALL of that. In the base game.

People randomly move in with one-another... occasionally have their clone-children (complete with horrible names). They don't pursue relationships, friendships, or anything else on their own.

What does the Sims 3 expansion packs have?
Superstar- promoted by Katy Perry
Pets- probably adds nothing next to the base game
Adventure- trying to make it look like a console game with quick fix add-ons
...I could go on...

Sims 2 had a whole bunch of stuff in the base game and the expansion packs added to that tremendously. Sims 3 expansion packs add merely quick fixes to what's at best a play for five minutes and be done with it sort of game.

I've been a longtime fan of both The Sims 1 and The Sims 2. The Sims 2 took everything I loved about the first series and made it into a real game. The Sims 3 took all of that and trashed it. Heck even the Sims 1 is better.

Sadly EA's trashed a lot of game series now. The Def Jam fighting series, Mass Effect...I can go on but you get the point. They went from being a reputable gaming company who really put time into their games to people who just don't give two clicks. Once Maxis handed the Sims over to EA the series died.
---
Mass Effect 1's story & roleplaying + Mass Effect 3's combat, banter and relationships - EA = the perfect game
#7Koga no GoshiPosted 4/22/2012 11:15:50 PM
Agreed & well said. I still haven't bought 3 and that mystifies a lot of Sims 3 players, and people who know I was a big fan of 1 and 2. I just don't see anything in it at all that seems like an improvement other than the fact that you have to deal with fewer loading screens. That's it.
---
#8VdashonePosted 4/25/2012 1:38:29 PM
I still install it and play it every now and again, hell of an effort to install because I've got physical copies of every expansion/stuff pack but it's totally worth it.
---
I shan't succumb to such fabulousness!
#9Koga no GoshiPosted 5/17/2012 2:13:41 PM
yeah after like a 2 month obsession of re-playing this game after literally not touching it since it was relatively in its prime.... it's still, to this day, such an amazing game that has aged so well. It just feels really full and very successful at what it was trying to be and do. It's kind of a bummer that it feels like this era of game is ending, where games really went that extra mile being great at what they were, and now it feels (in every genre, not just talking about Sims 3) that it's either hollow but graphically improved mcReleases good for about a week of play before you run out of things to do, or the alternative... the whole, oh, we give you 60% of a game and the rest we want you to constantly buy DLC and microtransactions piece by piece and wind up spending like $500 if you actually want as much content as probably came in a single game 8 years ago.
---
#10JeniPosted 5/17/2012 5:04:24 PM
After a long hiatus I have gotten back into The Sims 2. I tried 3 when it came out but I just couldn't get into it. I didn't like that families aged when you weren't playing them. I know this was a feature a lot of players wanted, but I didn't like it at all. (IIRC, there was some kind of way to turn it off, but it didn't really work? It's been a long time since I played it).

The Sims 2 is everything The Sims 1 was only much better, but 3 is just too different and not an improvement at all. There is only one feature I consider to be a better than The Sims 2 (and it really is infinitely better) - the tool that lets you make every object any colour/pattern. Now that is something The Sims 2 could use, since whoever designed the furniture in 2 didn't make any two pieces of furniture come in the same shade of wood, lol! I couldn't stand decorating houses in the Sims 2 base game before modders figured out how to recolour - I'd pick a bed and there would be no end tables in that same shade. Very frustrating!

Of course, I do more than just play at interior decorating in this game, so while that tool is awesome, gameplay is much more important and I just didn't like the style of play in The Sims 3. The new features just seemed gimmicky and not a real improvement - like collecting stuff, or seeing your Sim at work. The tasks you could do for people were an interesting addition, but again, not really game-changing.

A seamless neighbourhood and everyone aging together would have been more interesting if you could easily hop between families and essentially control them all at once. Now that would have been an improvement! I play The Sims 2 with some large household (like 15+ Sims, I love hacks, lol) and so I think it would be fun to control a whole neighourhood at once.

Here's hoping that The Sims 4 (assuming it is ever made) has everything that made The Sims 2 great plus a few of the new features from The Sims 3 :)
---
4 8 15 16 23 42