picking up items to throw?

#1DeadMercenaryPosted 3/12/2008 11:40:58 PM
I feel like a moron for asking this, but during the intro walk through thing to get used to the game, The room with the guard and the three tin cans in the center that your meant to throw to distract him... I can't pick them up and I've been trying everything..
#2Sparda XPosted 3/12/2008 11:55:48 PM
I *think* you press E when you see the icon to pick up an item and throw it using the mouse. The controls for handling objects is pretty clunky, though.
---
A clever little bleeder, was Oscar Wilde. He once defined a cynic as a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. Call me a cynic, then.
#3DeadMercenary(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2008 11:57:51 PM
Hm..i guess what would be the problem then...i cant get it too show that symbol to pick it up.
#4Sparda XPosted 3/13/2008 12:03:07 AM
Are you sure you're looking at the right item? Try going into first-person-mode by hitting Z (if you're not already) and looking directly at the item. A round icon should pop up near the middle of the screen, showing that you can pick it up. If that's not happening, your game might be glitched - did you buy your game off Steam? If not does your game have the official 1.2 patch?
---
A clever little bleeder, was Oscar Wilde. He once defined a cynic as a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. Call me a cynic, then.
#5DeadMercenary(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2008 12:06:29 AM
Yes it has 1.2 and it also has the unofficial one as well. I've been using first person mode, no its not steam, its an older boxed version I decided to install and I didn't have this problem the first time If I recall.
#6Sparda XPosted 3/13/2008 12:13:30 AM
Is it the most up-to-date unofficial patch (I believe 4.9)? If not, try installing that and see if that helps anyway, as it helped with a rather random crash I was having. If all else fails, I'd suggest uninstalling the game completely, cleaning off your discs, and then reinstalling it and only use the official 1.2 patch until you're done with the intro. Or just skip the intro altogether - I usually do that now.
---
#7wesp5Posted 3/13/2008 12:17:17 AM
This is a known random bug in which the character didn't get the physhand item to move stuff. Just restart with a new character and everything should work out.
#8DeadMercenary(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2008 12:24:20 AM
thanks
#9meimnobodyPosted 3/13/2008 3:40:47 AM

wesp5 posted...
This is a known random bug in which the character didn't get the physhand item to move stuff. Just restart with a new character and everything should work out.

Does this bug also manifest as your character actually selecting the lockpick instead of it only coming out when lockpicking and not having a wallet as well as manifesting the shop key as an item instead of being on the key ring?

#10wesp5Posted 3/13/2008 4:09:27 AM
This may all be connected, yes. It never happened to me but a lot of people reported similar strange things to happen sometimes after character creation, e.g. like the fist missing as a weapon too...