Malkavian spoilers?

#1MilleykinsPosted 3/27/2010 5:39:10 PM
Hey, folks! I'm playing this again after a LONG TIME. I don't remember anything about it besides some random stuff near the beginning. Someone told me I shouldn't play as a Malkavian at first because some dialog and plot points may be spoiled. How bad is this? What would you recommend a beginner play first, in regards to clan and disciplines?

Also, are there any mods that are pretty much essential, if there are many at all? I know of the wesp "unofficial patch" mod (why call it a patch anyway? lol) but I'm really not looking for something that changes so much of the game.

Also also, blood buff in-game is weird.
---
Currently playing too many things.
#2vlado_ePosted 3/27/2010 6:26:07 PM
"Someone told me I shouldn't play as a Malkavian at first because some dialog and plot points may be spoiled. How bad is this?"
Not really bad. If it manages to spoil something major for you I would applaud you...then point you to the nearest psychiatric institution, where some nice people with white clothes will take care of you. The Malk's speech pattern is funny and full of some insightful things mixed with a lot of bull****, so it wouldn't really manage to spoil anything, I think.

"What would you recommend a beginner play first, in regards to clan and disciplines?"
Do save up the Malks for a later playthrough, since the play with them (and interaction with other people) is a bit different and it would be nice to see the contrast between them and "normal" clans. Same advise for the Nosferatu - they are just too ugly to interact normally with people, so playing with them is different than playing "normally".
Anyway, I'd recommend playing Toreador/Brujah first, because they are easy - Toreador for a gun wielding vamp (Auspex+Celerity = Matrix-ey shooting) or a Brujah for a melee master (Potence/Presence+Celerity). But whatever you pick you can't really go wrong.

"I know of the wesp "unofficial patch" mod (why call it a patch anyway? lol)
Cuz it fixes bugs and restores "lost" content - i.e. content that was supposed to be in the game but Troika didn't have time to implement fully. Also, it is probably the only support for the game but it's not released by the original designers, hence the "unofficial" part to the "patch" part.
You can also install the basic patch (when you run the installer it comes up with a choice between Basic and Plus versions) which applies the bugfixes only.

"but I'm really not looking for something that changes so much of the game."
I don't know what to tell you - if wesp's patch seems like too much changes, then you are probably looking for is adjusting the brightness/contrast of your monitor. I don't think it adds that much content as you seem to perceive it does. Then again, if it does add too much content for you, just get some new skins and you should be OK.

Also also, blood buff in-game is weird.
I suppose so. I usually only use it when lockpicking.
---
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
#3SgtBartlettPosted 3/27/2010 10:51:52 PM
Okay Malkavian dosn't spoil anything, they're just more insightful then the other clans, like when you talk to skelter in the bar, your malkavian will say helter instead of skelter, so at times malkavians are fun to play as because npcs first reaction of you is holy **** this guys nuts but knows things that i dont. if that makes any sense. Also they're one of like 3 clans that have the invisibility spell and the best way to get experience on some missions is not killing people and not being seen by any enemies. Dementions are a quick stop moving and let me bite you kinda spell, not on the victim but people nearby who might see you chowing down on the street.
---
PS0 Adam, Haseo, and T260G
Friend code: 3610 1351 4976
#4vick1000Posted 3/28/2010 7:57:41 PM
They don't spoil any thing, but you will have a better insight to their "insights" if you play as another clan first.
---
Bob Page: "I will burn like the brightest star..."
J.C. Denton: "You're gonna burn alright."
#5Flint_aPosted 3/30/2010 5:03:35 AM
They don't spoil anything? Really? The twins?
#6Talic0201Posted 3/30/2010 9:35:02 AM
Yeah, you can force Knox to admit he's manipulating you for Tung in Asylum, too.
---
What would ExDeath do?
#7Flint_aPosted 3/31/2010 3:11:17 AM
Eh, you can do that without Dementation, it's just a lot harder.
#8Talic0201Posted 3/31/2010 7:49:24 AM
Neat!
---
What would ExDeath do?
#9AunionPosted 4/1/2010 2:54:48 AM
I'm inclined to agree with SgtBartlett; there might be a lot of spoilers visible to those of us who already know how the story play out, but I doubt they'd be equally obvious to first time players. Then again, it might be more fun to be able to "notice" those spoilers if you've already played through the game once with a "normal" clan (btw, my first play-through was as a Nossie and it wasn't THAT bad... well, apart from the odd game-crippling bug or two :p)
#10Flint_aPosted 4/1/2010 11:53:30 AM
SPOILER WARNING!

Well, sure, a new player most probably would not realize that Jeanette and Therese are the same person from those lines.(Although an experienced gamer would suspect it, I did.) You still learn that Jeannette is a Malkavian way earlier than you normally would though.