Is the multiplayer still enjoyable without LIVE?

#1goldenlink64Posted 12/20/2009 7:21:17 PM
I love playing games that have splitscreen multiplayer with my friends and I was wondering if this game's multiplayer is still enjoyable if you don't have LIVE.

Unfortunately I am unable to get the N64 version (which everybody says has better multiplayer).

Right now, I am debating whether if I should get this game or not. I also heard that some some single player and multiplayer content was cut out...can anybody tell me what was cut out or if its important?

Thanks in advance.
---
I tried reality once... I don't get it, where's my health bar suppose to be?
#2mcnichoj18Posted 12/22/2009 12:03:03 AM
lolwut?
---
"Little Mac, representin', make your move then punk.
Five seconds to the bell and then I'm f-in' you up." - Duane & BrandO, Punch-Out!!!
#3spongelivPosted 12/30/2009 9:16:08 AM

The only thing they really removed from the single player was the eel scene in the beginning of the "It's War!" chapter. Why? No clue, but it's nothing important. You're not going to miss any funny dialogue or any part of the story. In the Xbox game they did censor it a lot more, and by censor I mean bleep out more of the cuss words. That disappointed a lot of fans because originally the game was called Conker: Live and Uncut and it was going to be completely uncensored. Personally I think the N64 version got it right. A few beeps to add to the humor, but wasn't overdone like in the Xbox version. The Xbox's multiplayer portion is completely different to the N64 one, but both are extremely fun. I prefer to play the Xbox multiplayer portion with the dumbots, rather than the Xbox Live players. Sadly Conker has a terrible Xbox Live community....

I hope that answered your questions! :) Also I hope it wasn't a too confusing and muddled answer/reply... If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

#4goldenlink64(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2010 5:39:20 PM
I was originally planning to get Conker for Christmas, but I couldn't decide if I should have gotten the Xbox version or to wait for an N64 version to show up eventually (which could take a long time).

You actually answered a lot of questions I needed. I'm glad that playing with bots is comparable to Live (which I don't have access to). Unfortunately, I'm not too excited about seeing how the Great Mighty Poo scene is going to turn out being censored. Either way I have the original song on an MP3.

One more question I wonder was, how good is the splitscreen multiplayer? For instance, when playing with a friend, are the maps suited for 2-4 players and well designed (like Halo and Perfect Dark)? Or are the maps overly huge and require 8-16 players for any enjoyment (like Halo 2 and 3)? Then again, bots could resolve that previous issue...

Conker looks like a very fun platformer (one that seems to have a good sense of humor), and I'm mainly wondering how good the splitscreen is when playing with a friend.
---
#5spongelivPosted 1/5/2010 9:20:31 PM

I like the N64 Conker a little bit more, but they really are both great games. I kinda get sick of people starting fights and arguing about which one is better. While I prefer the N64 version by a smidge, if it wasn't for Live and Reloaded... I might have never played Conker! Anyway, yes, the N64 game can be a tough game to find. I see Live & Reloaded for sale all the time, but according to some threads here, it can be difficult to find too. Live and Reloaded is cheaper also, just in case you didn't know.

While I find the Xbox multiplayer to be a blast, it really isn't perfect. First off you can only have two people playing the game. You can have one on the SHC side and the other with the Tediz (versus). Or you both can play on the SHC or the Tediz (co-op). You can add or remove as many bots (They call them "Dumbots" in the game.) as you want. If you have more than two people who want to play; you'll have to have another Xbox. I'm honestly not sure how this works, but it sounds like a pain, lol.

Another complaint some people have with the Xbox version is the, well, for lack of a better word, "squished" screen. Now you probably won't notice this if you have a big screen TV, but if you have just a normal TV, it may be a bit difficult to play because it's such a chaotic game. Not sure if I explained that too well... I know Youtube has some multiplayer Live and Reloaded videos. I would recommend checking them out.

N64 Conker like I said in my last post is completely different to the Xbox's multiplayer. It can have four players and bots, and it contains far more than just the SHC vs the Tediz. It also has racing, cavemen, and weasels. I can talk about the N64's multiplayer more if you would like, but it sounds like you are leaning towards buying the Xbox version. Correct?

Both Conkers are amazing, and are big favorites with me. I recommend them to everyone. They are absolutely hilarious, and highly addictive. I'm sure you will enjoy it no matter which version you buy. :D One last thing, I wrote this when I was mega tired. XD So I apologize if there are any spelling or grammar errors. Lulz.

#6spongelivPosted 1/5/2010 9:21:51 PM

Heh, big post. Hope I didn't overdid.

#7goldenlink64(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2010 3:49:12 PM
I have no problem with a big post as long as its relevant. Nothing about Politics or Religion when talking about Conker.

"While I find the Xbox multiplayer to be a blast, it really isn't perfect. First off you can only have two people playing the game. You can have one on the SHC side and the other with the Tediz (versus). Or you both can play on the SHC or the Tediz (co-op). You can add or remove as many bots (They call them "Dumbots" in the game.) as you want."

When they are called "Dumbots" can these bots pose any threat (choose how hard to kill)? Or are they mindless AI that just let you kill them. Either way, any type of bot is better than having no bots at all (Halo).

"If you have more than two people who want to play; you'll have to have another Xbox. I'm honestly not sure how this works, but it sounds like a pain, lol."

Have 1 of your friends bring over their xbox, copy of game, buy a ethernet cable, and have 2 TVs somewhat close to each other. It IS a real pain, I've tried. Doom 3 has this Exact problem except there's not even split-screen for even 2 players so I've never been able to play the multiplayer. Back on topic...

"N64 Conker like I said in my last post is completely different to the Xbox's multiplayer. It can have four players and bots, and it contains far more than just the SHC vs the Tediz. It also has racing, cavemen, and weasels. I can talk about the N64's multiplayer more if you would like, but it sounds like you are leaning towards buying the Xbox version. Correct?"

I would like all the information I could get for Both versions. If I want Bad Fur Day badly enough, I'll probably find a way to get it.
---
#8spongelivPosted 1/8/2010 2:48:29 PM

The Dumbots are overall excellent. There are three difficulties, Worm (Easy), Vanilla (Medium), and Einstein (Hard). Worm is perfect for beginners. Vanilla is a bit more challenging, and then Einstein can be pretty tough! Those Long Rangers can be brutal! I've always said on the boards that the Einstein Dumbots are better team mates and enemies than the Xbox Live players! My only complaint is that sometimes they do accidentally kill other team mates, but when you play the game you'll see why. It's pretty easy to accidentally harm or kill a team mate with the grenades… At least they don't try to kill you on purpose like on Live! D: Here is a great link talking about the Dumbots. - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/c/conker/dumbots-20050614.htm

"Have 1 of your friends bring over their xbox, copy of game, buy a ethernet cable, and have 2 TVs somewhat close to each other. It IS a real pain, I've tried. Doom 3 has this Exact problem except there's not even split-screen for even 2 players so I've never been able to play the multiplayer."

Ah, I see. Thank you! I was never sure how that worked... Back to the N64's multiplayer...

I started to write a huge paragraph about it, and then found this. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conker%27s_Bad_Fur_Day

Just scroll down a bit, and you will find a bunch of info about the N64's multiplayer. I think that tells about everything you need to know, and it explained it far better than I ever could, lol. It also has a section about Live & Reloaded's multiplayer.

#9goldenlink64(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2010 2:32:13 PM
I read the article and I have just a few more questions.

For Bad Fur Day, is the multiplayer First Person or Third? The article never clearly stated which it was for the N64 version.

For Live and Reloaded, because the game uses "Classes", does that mean you are limited to the gun you start out with (for your class) or are there guns lying around the map?

Thanks for all the help. I think I might be able to get the N64 version, but now I'm thinking, maybe I should get both versions. I'm still deciding.
---
#10spongelivPosted 1/13/2010 3:39:15 PM
N64 is third person just like the Xbox version. Some videos if you're interested. - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=conker%27s+bad+fur+day+multiplayer&suggested_categories=24%2C20%2C10%2C22%2C23&page=1

"For Live and Reloaded, because the game uses "classes", does that mean you are limited to the gun you start out with (for your class)"

Yep, you're correct, but if you find an upgrade you get another weapon. For example if the "Grunt" gets an upgrade, he'll get a grenade launcher. Here is a great link talking about all the classes. - http://www.conker-base.com/conkerliveandreloaded/classes.htm

Personally I say go for it and buy both versions. It seems like if I'm not playing the one I'm playing the other! They are two of my all time favorites.
---
"I'm not going into the toilet; I'm going into show-business!" - Leo Bloom (The Producers)