Petition to Stop Microsoft from deactivating Original Xbox live and games!

#1bobbyh15Posted 2/7/2010 2:08:38 AM
Just recently around February 5th, 2010, Microsoft announced they would be deactivating Xbox Live on the original xbox, included that original xbox live games also can NOT be played on the Xbox 360. The shut down is ready for April 15th 2010.

This is extremely corrupt and terrible to others around the world who only have enough money for just an original Xbox, with that they may not have the money to afford an Xbox 360. Something must be done.

Petition:
We, the people who sign this petition, will request Microsoft NOT to shut down Original Xbox live and keep it up and running for ages to come.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-microsoft-from-deactivating-original-xbox-live-and-games.html
#2Swan3624Posted 2/11/2010 12:58:31 AM
Eh... I posted this in another topic, but it's pretty relevant here (in some cases, much moreso than the other one :P):

'Of course they are shutting out the original Xbox LIVE community, but to them, this community is a minute fraction of the overall subscriber base of Xbox LIVE in general. They don't give a hoot about the original Xbox anymore, and this is apparent with their halting of the Xbox Originals on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

The Xbox is a generation come and gone, and it's the sign of an era closing/another one just begun with the discontinuation of the original LIVE service. It was the final nail they needed, and now that it's pinned, it's officially the end. That's what they wanted, and that's what they're carrying out now.

Though I am so sad that it's being discontinued, at least the original Xbox games I loved playing on Xbox LIVE (Whacked, Conker: Live & Reloaded, Star Wars: Battlefront, Unreal Championship) all have offline multiplayer as well as bots. That much I think we can all be grateful for.

Games like MechAssault and Halo 2, though... Sad sad day, indeed :('

I can guarantee this petition will not work. So at least be thankful that in the Xbox generation, almost every multiplayer game had split-screen, and a lot of the most popular ones had bots (with the exception of Halo 2 and MechAssault [I believe], and a few others, of course).

And it should be noted that Xbox LIVE is obviously not the first online thing to be shut down, and it was given quite a hefty run in terms of online services. If you want to talk about people getting the short end of the stick, think of all the MMOs that aren't World of Warcraft that dare to be different. I think it's safe to say that for every 10 MMOs that come out, 9 of them fall by the wayside and fail miserably. One such instance of this is Tabula Rasa. This game was promising, and I managed to get into it near the end of its lifespan, and it was so good. The problem is, the general MMO audience didn't bite for one reason or another. It really was like a Mass Effect MMO, in my opinion. It was so good.

But of course it was shut down. After however many people subscribed to play it ($13 a month, presumably, given standard MMO pricing plans), and then being told to **** off, I think they should be given a great deal of sympathy themselves. That is truly getting the short end of the stick.

And this is true for a lot of MMOs. An MMO comes out, some people play it (aka, start paying for it), and then after a small frame of time, the MMO gets an announcement of its servers being shut down, and those early biters are left to pity themselves in all that wasted money.
---
http://igbgaming.com/index.php
-- Great Forum. Join up! =) --