This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this game worth buying/playing?

#1Young BoyPosted 7/19/2012 3:57:26 PM
I'm not really a GTA series fan, but if the game is fun/playable, I don't see why not.

How long would you say it is (in playtime hours)?

Is it mission based, free to explore, or is there a story mode?

Why do people who like this game, actually like it (violence aside)?

Feel free to comment on playability/fun factor/anything else.

Thanks!
---
FFXI - Alvinho - Quetzalcoatl - BLM-WHM-BLU-RDM-SCH-SMN-BRD-PLD75
RNG-SAM57/NIN45/MNK-DNC42/THF-WAR-DRK-DRG40
#2thegrambauerPosted 7/19/2012 6:05:03 PM(edited)
Young Boy posted...
I'm not really a GTA series fan, but if the game is fun/playable, I don't see why not.

How long would you say it is (in playtime hours)?

Is it mission based, free to explore, or is there a story mode?

Why do people who like this game, actually like it (violence aside)?

Feel free to comment on playability/fun factor/anything else.

Thanks!

How long depends on you, the player. Some people can finish the main missions in this game in say 30 hours, most 50 hours and if you play around not worrying the time and go explore it can take you up to 80 hours or more.

It's half-half. The game is partly mission-based but you can pretty much feel free to explore as soon as you get control of CJ. The game prompts you to get on a bicycle but you don't have to. You can instead just jump into any vehicle around and go exploring. However you are limited to just the Los Santos city, unless you use cheats to remove the wanted level. Through story progression the other cities becomes unlocked for you to explore if you choose not to cheat.

Well personally speaking the violence was never a factor for me for this game. The sole purpose I got this game was for the exploration of a whole state. The idea that you can explore everywhere virtually from the beginning of the game was so exciting for me. You've got the Back O' Beyond area (woodland and so on, great for being spooky especially with fog), then you have desert areas of the state near Las Venturas, plus you have 3 huge cities and various amounts of smaller country towns to explore.
---
**TOP SECRET INFORMATION - CASE FILE #3346124**
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5770/secretidentity.jpg
#3KrustyBrownRingPosted 7/19/2012 9:50:46 PM(edited)
Every game in the series is worth playing. You appreciate it more when you see the progression that made SA what it is. The driving physics, the lack of loading, radio content... They make you work for some good rewards it actually takes a bit of story play to open the gun stores.

A lot of the world makes you wish it was more interactive but thats because its so detailed and varied. You can get a fax in real life, gta IV didn't even go that far. It might not be shenmue but there is still a lot to keep you busy between missions. The story starts off pretty strong like a 90s gang movie but it doesn't stay there as long as you'd think. At first you really want to prove yourself and rebuild your crew and then the focus changes a lot. It was misleading to me but there is a lot of story crammed into the mission progression which keeps it interesting. My favorite things are the radio and commercials, pedestrian conversations and interactions, gambling, code induced craziness and just exploring in general.
#4xxXenoKillazXxxPosted 7/19/2012 11:32:00 PM
hey guys im new here obviously but im no noob to gaming thats for sure i been a GTA fan since PS1 and continued on all the GTA's to our beautiful next-gen consoles. Anyways i think this is a silly question lol because this game has prgressed alot from the topdown gtas that were previus to this one. GTA3 set the bar for how an open world game should REALLY be.. frm there we got GTAvc which of course blew our minds from the get go because we couldnt wait to get on those motorcycles and heli's lol.. nooowwww GTAs.a. which by far is one of the greatest games ever made which people still play to this day! i just recently got the trilogy with has all three GTA's for the ps2 wich answers your question is it qorth buying.... 20 bux for three games is a helluva deal si i say most deffinately give it a try and tell us what you think.. thnx for reading guys and its a pleasure being aboard this fine site most of us call home lol L8r guys!!
#5witmax33Posted 7/20/2012 1:21:53 AM
dis da best game evar
#6archery_guyPosted 7/20/2012 7:07:55 AM
Yes.
#7BareknuckleRooPosted 7/20/2012 9:41:01 AM
Well personally speaking the violence was never a factor for me for this game. The sole purpose I got this game was for the exploration of a whole state. The idea that you can explore everywhere virtually from the beginning of the game was so exciting for me. You've got the Back O' Beyond area (woodland and so on, great for being spooky especially with fog), then you have desert areas of the state near Las Venturas, plus you have 3 huge cities and various amounts of smaller country towns to explore.

Ditto. The sheer amount there is to explore and do is what makes this game a gem. I remember a friend complaining about it because he didn't like the gang story - who cares? The storyline took up so little of my playtime honestly. Most of the time I spent simply exploring, doing stunts, etc.
#8luigi4500Posted 7/20/2012 8:28:35 PM
Yes.
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag: QuitefranklyNO1
#9Sedated CricketPosted 7/21/2012 10:35:43 PM
BareknuckleRoo posted...
I remember a friend complaining about it because he didn't like the gang story - who cares?

Who cares? LOL

let me just say

the game has the player simulate gang and crime related activity... not all people are into that kinda of stuff... u look at what this whole genre of sandbox street crime games are from a moral ethical standpoint and you begin to see why mothers dont want their nine year old little boys playing these games

and kids who have mothers that baby them throughout their youth will sometimes grow up all dorky and square but soft and mushy emotionally and suddenly these kinds of games become a perversion of reality... this game itself just like Vice City before it dont even try to hide the fact that they are making parody and joke out of issues in real life that actually very controversial and almost inflammatory

just listen to the "Inversion Therapy" radio advertisements

some dude: "I used to dream about having sex with my mother. And now that I've done it, I don't want to anymore."

Announcer: "See folks! Inversion Therapy can work for you! Try it today!"

Glory Hole Theme Park anyone? Yes lets all take our kids to Glory Hole Theme Park!

A lot of the teenage kids who play these games think its all in good fun and is funny, but many fail to realize the underlying shock and awe effects that the game is actually employing. Is it clever? Sure it is. But it's also sinister and lewd. The game is targeted towards a demographic of video game players who enjoy the glorifying street crime and gang violence without questioning the moral integrity of the content they are ingesting.

I dont mean to get all Preston the Preacher on you but I'm just trying to say. Everybody is raised differently though and while yes many of us go through public education system and all that for example, at the same time nothing can ever be some kind of unifying thread that binds the whole world together to make us all think and act the same. Or care about the same stuff.

But more and more as time goes on games are being made that are ever more borderline innapropriate than the last because every company and developer is trying to draw as much attention to their product as they can so they can sell more and this game I think is testament to their modern day creativity in doing so.
---
just play the game... worry about your sanity afterwards ~riddlebox89
#10luigi4500Posted 7/22/2012 9:37:54 AM
I have to agree that the glory hole theme park reference in the game is seriously not appropriate for anyone, of any age, at all, ever.
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag: QuitefranklyNO1