How to kill the beast ?

#1cynicorenPosted 10/7/2009 9:55:32 AM

Hello,

I just got to killing the beast with Abigail. Even when I use the team kill kind of attack, the beast gets me. Any tips ?

It also seems to paralyze my guy. Is there any way to avoid that ?

Thanks

#2WolfAlmightyPosted 10/7/2009 10:22:46 AM
If you bought/made some Spectre Oil, use that on your sword. A Blizzard potion can help out here as well. If you're out of luck on those accounts, start out with a group attack (one or two combos should do) to get the Barghests away, and then switch to fast style for the Beast. Having a Swallow potion to help you regenerate is also useful, but if you're totally stuck try using Aard on it. If you can stun him, you can finish him off in one hit.
#3cynicoren(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2009 10:40:34 AM

thanks for the fast response. where do I get these potions ? can I make them in the cave with abigail ? and if so , how do one make potions (I tried to slash my way through it... guess it can't work all the time) ?

#4WolfAlmightyPosted 10/7/2009 10:50:31 AM
You can slash your way through it on Normal mode at least (haven't tried hard mode), but it may take a few tries. If you're badly hurt, try to run around the beast and allow Abigail time to heal you which she will do periodically.

As for the potions and oils, you can make them in the cave so long as you're given the option to meditate (have to meditate to mix alchemy) and you have the necessary ingredients. I don't remember the formulas for them but you can find them online. Earlier in the game Abigail probably offered to sell you a scroll containing the recipe for the Spectre Oil, and I believe Swallow is in your journal from the start.
#5ShinesmanOWPosted 10/7/2009 5:44:11 PM
Before you leave the cave:

1. Before the fight starts, drink a Tawny Owl and a Swallow.
2. Save
3. Leave the cave
4. (skip through the scene fast if this is your third try)
5. Drink Blizzard.
6. Spam Aard until it hits.
7. ????
8. PROFIT.

That's the way I've always fought him on hard. Amusingly, if you buy the reagent from Abby earlier and then look up the recipe and do it blind, you can add Petri's Philter to your potion mix. It helps.
#6JosieJPosted 10/8/2009 3:29:54 AM
Before you leave the cave:

1. Before the fight starts, drink a Tawny Owl and a Swallow.

When I did this, I noticed that if you drink the potions before the cutscene, their effects aren't active after it's over. (Maybe that was a glitch in my game?) I was forced to go back to my earlier save and start the fight cold. I was able to drink the Blizzard quickly just before the fight started, and then snatched an opportunity during the fight to drink a Swallow. I didn't get a chance to use Tawny Owl, so I wasn't able to use Aard too much. Fortunately, I did use Spectre Oil on my sword, which helped a lot. I was able to clear out most of the regular barghests fairly quickly and the rest I left to Abigail while I dealt with the Beast.

TC, alchemy is a lifesaver--if you didn't get a chance to ask around during Chapter I and get all the journal entries for the various herbs, etc., find the appropriate books and read up on them in Chapter II so you can make your own potions. You should also put a bronze point into Oil Making so you can make oils.

And, speaking of alchemy, if I could piggy-back a quick alchemy question onto this topic: Is there any way to make 2 potions at a time when you're meditating, or are you stuck with making one, then meditating, then making another one and meditating again, etc.? None of the FAQs, wikis, etc. that I consulted are clear on this point.
#7ShinesmanOWPosted 10/8/2009 8:32:26 AM
The only potion I know that won't persist pre-cutscene is Blizzard, because the cutscene is long enough to mess it up. I'm pretty sure the other two work, but then again I tend to win or lose the fight so rapidly that they're probably irrelevant.

To answer the side question, you can make all the alchemy in the world in a single session.

You can even make White Gull and then immediately use that White Gull to make another potion. I've made 30+ recipes in a single sitting for one hour of meditation time.
#8ManagnarmPosted 10/8/2009 9:09:32 AM
As far as I remember the cut-scene sets the time to midnight, so if your potions aren't going to last that long they wear off. Your best bet is to rest until just before midnight, then drink up and exit the cave immediately.
---
Of course your life passes in front your eyes before you die. It's called living.
#9JosieJPosted 10/8/2009 6:39:06 PM
To answer the side question, you can make all the alchemy in the world in a single session.

You can even make White Gull and then immediately use that White Gull to make another potion. I've made 30+ recipes in a single sitting for one hour of meditation time.

OK, thanks for the info! My potion-making sessions will be much more efficient now, instead of lasting half a day!
#10ClericRoguePosted 10/9/2009 7:59:58 AM
I agree with using aard sign, a warning it can be anti-climactic. In my fight I landed the aard 1st shot and did the finishing move and he was dead in about 3 seconds. I reloaded and did a few things. I figured out If you want to die: Use group style and take everyone on at once. It's too slow and you're interrupted constantly. Stay in one spot and swing (doesn't matter what the style). You'll be surrounded so fast reeling from hits you'll hardly be able to get any swing off I think the whole purpose of this fight is to teach you there's more than standing and swinging. You have to run, dodge, escape when surrounded and use hit & run tactics and potions & coatings do wonders. Run constantly, when you see an opening go in and swing, then double tap your backwards key to dodge backwards and run away again until you get another opening. You can try to keep your partner alive, who heals you during the fight (if you chose to help them). I never could. Don't worry they can't die, after the fight they'll get up off the ground. Use the aard sign which seems a whole lot more effective against opponents who are already damaged, but does work on occasion to those who aren't (especially weaker). You may want to hold off until the beast is about 50% health. The beast is the only boss the aard sign can knock-out and you do your finishing move, all other bosses when hit with aard get back up before you can do a finishing move.