Russia's heir? (*spoilers*)

#1DaguerreraPosted 9/4/2011 11:28:56 AM
Well, I've played this game countless times, but I don't understand the part in which Asmodeus-Rasputin and Nicolai are talking and Rasputin says something about Nicolai's "revenge for his father" and "revenge for his mother"...

Then there's the whole heir to the throne of Russia thing, and they keep saying in-game that he's a bastard son. I don't see any explanation of this on the game nor in the Library.

Did anyone get this part or is it a translation major error maybe?
#2MikoNoNytePosted 9/5/2011 5:15:04 PM
It is history
Nicholas had a lover, a prima ballerina in fact whom he had to hand off to a cousin - Dmiti - when his father told him to before he married Alexandra.

The game assumes a bastard child, Nicholas, born and raised.

The heir to Russia would be Nicholas Conrad, IF he were to survive his family's demise.

For the record, his mother died horribly of a wasting disease and no one really cared. Reason enough to want revenge I suppose.
#3ZendaikPosted 9/5/2011 9:38:09 PM
I feel like they dropped the ball on this part. Wish Nicolai would've done something to get the throne in this game. Even when Anastasia finds out, she's just a little surprised but says nothing...
---
Monster Hunter Tri ID: Kirolos
#4The Great YuffilatorPosted 9/5/2011 10:10:10 PM
Um... getting the throne was his whole motivation. Thats why he was working with Rasputin and Kato. He got the Emigre Manuscript from Yuri to give to Kato. In return, Kato acting as ambassador of Japan, makes an alliance that Japan will be an ally to whomever holds the throne in Russia, heavily implying that the Tsar of Russia will soon change. Nicholai plans to eliminate the Romanov family, making himself the Tsar.
---
Liz: Gentlemen don't like violence but love the violence of words. Prepare for word torture! I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored. ~WildArms2
#5ZendaikPosted 9/5/2011 11:00:43 PM(edited)
The Great Yuffilator posted...
Um... getting the throne was his whole motivation. Thats why he was working with Rasputin and Kato. He got the Emigre Manuscript from Yuri to give to Kato. In return, Kato acting as ambassador of Japan, makes an alliance that Japan will be an ally to whomever holds the throne in Russia, heavily implying that the Tsar of Russia will soon change. Nicholai plans to eliminate the Romanov family, making himself the Tsar.

Yeah but Nicolai never actually goes back to Russia or does any raids or anything. He just...

*spoilers*

Gets possessed by Astaroth and then you follow him around in a bunch of places EXCEPT Russia and then he's killed by Kato.

I just wish he made an appearance in Russia and tried to kill the Tsar. He doesn't even say anything to Anastasia.
---
Monster Hunter Tri ID: Kirolos
#6The Great YuffilatorPosted 9/6/2011 12:11:20 AM
Well, true, he didn't get the chance to. Though IIRC, wasn't his goal in releasing the malice at Apoina Tower to create the riots in Russia that would end the Romanovs? If it wasn't for us meddling kids, he would have succeeded. Once Kato took him though, he was pretty much trapped until right before he dies. So yeah, I guess he didn't really do anything in disc 2.
---
Liz: Gentlemen don't like violence but love the violence of words. Prepare for word torture! I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored. ~WildArms2
#7Daguerrera(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2011 3:55:07 PM
Wow, I never knew that!

Thank you so much for the historical explanation!

I always get mad at my country's educational system for not explaining anything much besides Europe and America (the whole continent).

Still, they could've mentioned something about all this on his profile or during some cutscenes, no?
#8MikoNoNytePosted 9/9/2011 7:18:32 PM
minor correction re: Possessed by

Nicholas, shown in the Director's Cut edition of the game, made a pact with Astaroth. At the time of the rising of Rasputin's little castle (whatever the heck it was called) he was still in control.

It wasn't until Uru defeated him in Rome that Astaroth began to take over since Nicholas's will was pretty much squelched.