Dark Elf Shadow Knight

#1rasputin177Posted 7/14/2009 12:54:07 PM
Hello, I just got this game a week ago and have played non stop. More addicting then crack, at least I think. Anyway, I am a dark elf shadow knight level 10. I think I am 86 strength and around 40 mana. I have put most of my other skill points into slashing weapons, 1 in disease bolt, 1 in engulfing darkness 1 bind wound and 1 disease trail. I was wondering what I should get next? I was thinking about disease shield? Good idea? I also was thinking about endurance since I like to have as much gold as possible have around 100,000 right now. I also like to be able to switch between weapons ect... Which brings me to my next question I have a two handed weapon that hits at 50 and a one handed with 10 strength bonus that hits at 43. It also lets me keep my shield equipped which has a 15 mana bonus and 8 intelligence points. Which weapon is best to equip? I have left stuff that I might want to use again next to the shop. Even though the shield is only 15 percent protection and I have one next to the shop with 35 I figure the mana and IQ bonuses make up for the difference. I am correct in assuming this? Again, I love this game and want to be a dominate shadow knight....I am not sure if many still post here but would greatly appreciate any help.

One more thing I have started a two player game with a friend who is playing as a ranger, I am again a shadow knight. Is this a good combo? I figure the ranged damage plus my hand to hand and magic skills should make us a dominate team. Jordan (Rasputin)
#2ijhutchPosted 7/14/2009 9:02:05 PM

rasputin177 posted...
Hello, I just got this game a week ago and have played non stop. More addicting then crack, at least I think. Anyway, I am a dark elf shadow knight level 10. I think I am 86 strength and around 40 mana. I have put most of my other skill points into slashing weapons, 1 in disease bolt, 1 in engulfing darkness 1 bind wound and 1 disease trail. I was wondering what I should get next? I was thinking about disease shield? Good idea? I also was thinking about endurance since I like to have as much gold as possible have around 100,000 right now. I also like to be able to switch between weapons ect... Which brings me to my next question I have a two handed weapon that hits at 50 and a one handed with 10 strength bonus that hits at 43. It also lets me keep my shield equipped which has a 15 mana bonus and 8 intelligence points. Which weapon is best to equip? I have left stuff that I might want to use again next to the shop. Even though the shield is only 15 percent protection and I have one next to the shop with 35 I figure the mana and IQ bonuses make up for the difference. I am correct in assuming this? Again, I love this game and want to be a dominate shadow knight....I am not sure if many still post here but would greatly appreciate any help. One more thing I have started a two player game with a friend who is playing as a ranger, I am again a shadow knight. Is this a good combo? I figure the ranged damage plus my hand to hand and magic skills should make us a dominate team. Jordan (Rasputin)

Welcome to our addiction. Having never done crack, you are on your own for that comparison :shock::P

The DESK was my first character type as well (both in CoN:RoE and CoN:RtA), so I feel somewhat qualified to help answer your questions. You can be a dominate SK in many different ways. The choice on HOW you want to play your character is a personal one--I would argue that there is no "best". For example, to go damage dealing, you might specialize in one hit kills (= two-handed weapons) or highest damage over 10 seconds (dual wield), opting to max out strength every chance you get; to go ranged, you might load up on Intelligence and Mana Regen stones to pump up your Engulfing Darkness and the various disease spells; I've heard of people playing them as Archers, maxing out dexterity and slotting critical hit; I almost fell in love with some cool looking shields as well; the possibilities are nearly limitless.

Personally, for my first character, I enjoyed maxing out strength and carrying a big two-handed weapon (I just thought it looked cool), then slotting mana regen stuff as well as protection from everything stuff (fire, cold, disease, especially). Splintmail in the early going just looked the coolest, eventually going for the Darkscale Mail which looks AWESOME (not so special on other character types, though). I ended up maxing both slashing and blunt, Engulfing Darkness (great for crowd control), Summon Skeleton (gives you a reprieve from being the soul focus of enemy attack), Bind Wound, Life Tap, Disease Bolt (magical ranged), and Riposte (you can block and still deal damage). Stay away from Harm Touch (useless). I had no need for shield bash (going two-handed with my weapon). I came to appreciate Convert Undead later on.

With regard to two player, well the Ranger and the Barbarian are the two most powerful characters in the game. IMO, that makes them less challenging to play (but still fun). So a Ranger paired with anyone (DESK included) is a great combo.

Hope that helps.

* ijhutch *

#3rasputin177(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2009 9:39:01 AM
Yes, that was very helpful. In fact all your post here have been pretty helpful. So, you did not use disease shield much? I have all of these extra things to equip - venom sacks, storm shards, misty globes but I want to wait until I find a weapon I will use for a long time. The same with my equipment. Is there any trick you use to know when is a good time to start to equipping some of these bonuses? Along the same lines if a weapon hits a 24 or something and has three open slots is it better then a weapon that hits at 48 but does not have any open slots to add bonuses? The main thing stopping me from putting these bonuses on my armor and equipment is the feeling that some better armor is around the corner. Just wondering how you and others deal with these dilemmas. Thanks again.
#4ijhutchPosted 7/15/2009 2:00:42 PM

rasputin177 posted...
Yes, that was very helpful. In fact all your post here have been pretty helpful. So, you did not use disease shield much? I have all of these extra things to equip - venom sacks, storm shards, misty globes but I want to wait until I find a weapon I will use for a long time. The same with my equipment. Is there any trick you use to know when is a good time to start to equipping some of these bonuses? Along the same lines if a weapon hits a 24 or something and has three open slots is it better then a weapon that hits at 48 but does not have any open slots to add bonuses? The main thing stopping me from putting these bonuses on my armor and equipment is the feeling that some better armor is around the corner. Just wondering how you and others deal with these dilemmas. Thanks again.

Pick the best weapon or armor you have and socket them with things you anticipate that you'll get the most use out of.

Generally, weapons with two slots should get a Misty Globe and a Whetstone (critical hit). If you get a third slot, add a storm shard. If you dual wield, then on the second weapon you could skip the Misty Globe (but still benefit from the speed boost on the primary weapon) and do a Whetstone and something like a Fire Beetle Eye (2 slots). But a good 3-slot weapon is rare.

For armor, I like mana regen stones, strength bonuses, and protection from fire/cold/disease/stun/poison (usually not magic). I usually take the best piece of armor that I have and put my best socket item (or two) on to it.

With extra things to socket, combining them with weapons and armor that you are going to sell will significantly increase their value (beyond the value of the socket item by itself)--so combine and sell extras that you won't use first, then sell extra armor and weapons. This will also help you avoid the 64 item glitch.

If you keep second guessing yourself about "something better around the next corner", you'll never get to enjoy the stuff you have. Once getting to Legendary difficulty, you will need to be a bit more choosey with the best Misty Globes, Whetstones, etc., as you quest for the best weapons and armor (Myrmidon or Darkscale Mail). But before that, USE IT AND ENJOY IT. It's been my experience that I only rarely had regrets.

One thing that is kinda cool is to play around with different combinations by first saving before doing any socketing. Then, socket, and check out both the performance increase (attack, damage) as well as the overall look of your character. Don't like it? Re-load from the save point and try another weapon.

Hope that helps.

* ijhutch *

#5rasputin177(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2009 9:55:23 AM
Yes, Thanks I just wanted to hear how others dealt with this. Another question though if you try to save some of the last points u get to add to your magic and sharp weapons do they disappear after you level up again? Because I saved a point and then when I reached the next level I only had 3 points to work with when I thought I would have 4.
#6ijhutchPosted 7/17/2009 10:28:03 AM

rasputin177 posted...
Yes, Thanks I just wanted to hear how others dealt with this. Another question though if you try to save some of the last points u get to add to your magic and sharp weapons do they disappear after you level up again? Because I saved a point and then when I reached the next level I only had 3 points to work with when I thought I would have 4.

My experience has been that if you do not use your attribute points, they are available at any time (including subsequent level ups)--in other words, they are persistent.

In one of the FAQs, it states the level breaks where you get 2, 3, 4, and 5 points.

* ijhutch *

#7rasputin177(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2009 9:51:47 AM
Where is that? I just ask because I was getting 3 points and now I am back down to two. Is that normal? Will it go back up again or is it a glitch with my game? Just to be clear I was getting 3 points to put into magic and sharp blades now I am back down to 2 points and I am level 14.
#8ijhutchPosted 7/19/2009 12:28:29 PM

rasputin177 posted...
Where is that? I just ask because I was getting 3 points and now I am back down to two. Is that normal? Will it go back up again or is it a glitch with my game? Just to be clear I was getting 3 points to put into magic and sharp blades now I am back down to 2 points and I am level 14.

Follow the Hints & Cheats link (if coming in through Gamespot) to find the link to maltzsan's information guide (bottom of the page).

OR, GIYF... try"game guide champions norrath skill points level" and watch the cream rise to the top. The second and third entries have good general strategies and help answer your question specifically.

I have never heard of a glitch that you mention where you were getting three skill points at the lower levels. You will always get 3 ATTRIBUTE points per level, but that's different.

Hope that helps.

* ijhutch *

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
--Chinese Proverb