Orc Cave 3 Freezing

#1emblem4everPosted 12/23/2011 1:55:56 PM
Does anyone know how to fix the glitches in orc cave 3? Everytime i go down, it starts out fine, then the ground will jsut be black but I can still move/fight cuz I follow the map. However, if I try to use a gate scroll, the portal, or die, then the game freezing black and I have to restart.

I've retried it like 10 times, always the same results. One time I made it to the Orc Captain and the floor magically returned to normal but I died and again freezing.

Is there anything I could try/do or am I basically stuck at this part oof the game?

Thx
#2emblem4ever(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2011 3:59:30 PM
Update

So I did some testing, and whenever I'm on the 3rd floor, if I do anything that isn't fighting/looting then it freezes to a black screen. If I press start/select, try to return to 2nd floor, flip the switch (wtv follows) , this all causes freezing.

I thought it was maybe due to a scratch but it seems too consistent, too calculated to always freeze exactly when I choose..........
#3emblem4ever(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2011 7:46:15 PM
sorry for the triple post but I am uncovering things constantly:

-the game doesnt freeze when i press start, only if I then use a gate scroll
- game freezes if, I use a portal, I press SELECT, I try to return to level 2, I turn the switch after defeating orc captain

However, one time I pressed SELECT it froze as usual, then in frustration I hit my ps2 fat and it suddenly my equip screen showed, from then on it always loads the SELECT normally

This is so strange and more and more, I'm beginning to beleive its a ps2 problem and not a game problem, however my ps2 plays tons of other games perfectly.

Also I tried my hitting "technique" when it froze at another time, i.e. after I flipped the switch but nothing happened, I tried this for a solid 5min lol

I don't want to buy another CoN game if its just gonna keep freezing at the same spot. How can I get around this?
#4ijhutchPosted 12/23/2011 11:25:24 PM

Isolate the cause. Can you repeat the same problem on someone else's PS2? It's possible that your saved game is corrupt, but more than likely it's the disc (dual layer DVD that is extremely sensitive to scratches). I have had success contacting SOE and asking nicely for a replacement when mine got too scratched to load properly.

HTH.

* ijhutch *

#5ragincajun1966Posted 12/28/2011 1:07:34 PM
I agree with ij that its the disk, however depending on how old the PS2 is it could also be the laser reader itself (not what you want to hear) but dual layer disks can be sensitive if they are scratched or it the laser is no aligned or out of kilter, starting to go on the system.
#6drclaeysPosted 1/19/2012 11:04:32 AM
Friends,

back in the day, ps2 games were pretty glitch free.

Compared to skyrim, this game is flawless.

If it happened to everyone, it would be all over the net. I think its your disk, has a flaw on that one part.

Like the old saying, doctor, it hurts then I do this. the doctor says, then don do THAT.

Can you just stay out of orc cave 3. I think its optional?????

Enjoy this near perfect game.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#7mrbortPosted 2/11/2012 9:55:01 PM
ijhutch posted...
Isolate the cause. Can you repeat the same problem on someone else's PS2? It's possible that your saved game is corrupt, but more than likely it's the disc (dual layer DVD that is extremely sensitive to scratches). I have had success contacting SOE and asking nicely for a replacement when mine got too scratched to load properly.HTH. * ijhutch *

I think that these are all good suggestions. For the others who say CoN is a super solid game: let's not dance around it: this game was really buggy, especially for a ps2 or newer game. I agree that it was especially tied to how sensitive the disc was (Ive had several discs that have bugged up for whatever reason) -- I'm guessing that they're really sensitive to optical imperfections due to scratches because of the way that the data is encoded.... For whatever reason, CoN does not like to have any blemishing (perhaps there is no data redundancy?). I don't really know how discs are encoded more than at a rudimentary level but do know that some are more susceptible than others.

Good luck!
---
I drank what?? Socrates
It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate; it takes strength to be gentle and kind. The Smiths