This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a proud mode speed run?

#1RiukuRaziPosted 7/22/2012 9:08:32 PM
Not an all worlds run, but a finish the game on the hardest level Speedrun, aka the way it should be done?
#2heheiownPosted 7/22/2012 9:51:53 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3falconesquePosted 7/23/2012 7:32:13 AM(edited)
Never saw one, FWIW. Frankly, there're not many variations allowed on game progress.

If you wanna write one, though, go for it. :j The gummi ship missions might be a bit challenging to reduce building needs to a foolproof bare minimum for speed.

Or if you particularly enjoyed some other game's speed run guide, politely PM its contributor and suggest they consider penning one for KH2, too. Couldn't hurt.

Mode wouldn't make much difference for a speed run, BTW. The extra vid at game-end, which speed runs on Beginner or Normal won't get you, but that can be utoobed for a speedy delivery.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#4RiukuRazi(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2012 8:37:46 AM
Well I think Speedruns should be done at the most challenging level, not the easiest. No crazy restrictions either, like low level no items blah blah blah.

For example, who would want to see a speed run of metal gear solid on easy and he just runs through all the areas never minding an alert? The games meant to be played no kills, no alert, no retry, no healing, and on the hardest level. These restrictions apply only to metal gear. Never does it imply in KH that you are supposed to do no levels or anything like that, so the most legitimate form of a speed run I can think of is from beginning to the final blow of the final boss on proud mode, everything else allowed.

And I guess that is not around?
#5RiukuRazi(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2012 8:38:30 AM
If it's not around then I'll try and do it under ten hours first and see where that gets me, and get an idea for it.
#6falconesquePosted 7/23/2012 11:17:48 AM
who would want to see a speed run of metal gear solid on easy

Someone who just wants to get to the end and tick it off his or her pending game list...?

Never played a MGS game, it's simply not my cuppa tea. (Not ignorant, just not interested, savvy? :j)

The difference in difficulty in KH2 isn't that large. Set yourself up a test -- one hour, at each difficulty. The difficulty seem to ramp up over the course of a game on a par with each, unchanging, to this repeat player at least.

I'll try and do it under ten hours

Might be challenging, factoring in the required gummi ship missions. Or try an ODiNS game -- one day, no saving -- if that appeals.

Search topics for "challenge" and several turn up. Most recent batch included a "summon" run. And several no-dying runs, from the number of questions asked about the end-game Battle Report that only counts of many times Continue was clicked.
---
#7SBK91Posted 7/23/2012 4:05:43 PM
The games meant to be played no kills, no alert, no retry, no healing, and on the hardest level.

Agreed.

These restrictions apply only to metal gear.

I'd say it depends on how big of a health boost enemies get on the higher difficulties and how much experience/money/whatever you upgrade stuff with is available. If it isn't significant then the game should be run on 'Very Hard' (the God of War series being a very good example). KH2's difficulties only affect how much damage you take, so a speed run should be on Proud or for FM+ Critical.

Someone who just wants to get to the end and tick it off his or her pending game list...?

It's actually faster on the hardest difficulty. Since the goal is to just make it from A to B (not combat), with increased enemy senses and agression you can do some tricks to mess with the AI that can't be done on the lower settings, bosses don't have much if any more health, stealth weapons knock out foes in one hit regardless of difficulty. I've done a sub two hour run (barely) on MGS4 NG+ Big Boss Emblem myself.

Might be challenging, factoring in the required gummi ship missions.

The fastest time running straight through on Speed Demo's Archive is currently 4 hours 39 minutes on Beginner. Ten hours should be well doable.

Most recent batch included a "summon" run.

Summons will definitely be the fastest way to get through.
#8falconesquePosted 7/24/2012 7:45:56 AM
[Gack, more 503 errors. Prolly yet another adserver littering cookies. C'mon, GF, get it together. :j]

you can do some tricks to mess with the AI

Hey, write it up. You know you'd have at least one reader. (FWIW, recommend avoiding "you", though; too easy to sound like you're telling a child to wipe his or her nose.)

The fastest time running straight through on Speed Demo's Archive...

Link, please? I'd wager RiukuRazi would appreciate it and could use it as a template for Proud. If RiukuRazi's not done already, of course. :j
---
#9Hotel_SecurityPosted 7/24/2012 3:02:21 PM
Well I think Speedruns should be done at the most challenging level, not the easiest.

I agree at this at the very least. Restricting other things is kinda counter-intuitive to the speed run. Doing it on easy is pretty lame since itís simple to plow through enemies with little effort. Iím not a big fan of speed runs themselves unless itís a platform where actual reflexes are needed. Skipping large amounts of a game doesnít seem very challenge though at least in KH2, a speed run kinda doubles as a minor low level run since you have to skip fights.

And I did do a Big Boss run for MGS4 also but only because I could save the game, unlike the other BB runs in the other games where you canít save. Iíve done no-kill, no-alert runs on those but I saved it so the BB was disqualified.

If they do that, itís a pretty lame list.

Or try an ODiNS game -- one day, no saving -- if that appeals.

Seems pretty lameÖitís basically a ďI have nothing better to do todayĒ run.
#10SBK91Posted 7/24/2012 7:05:14 PM
Gack, more 503 errors.

Preachin'

Hey, write it up.

Would rather not. Just copied what a much faster speed run did. Couldn't pull off some tricks, and botched many others.

Link, please?

http://speeddemosarchive.com/KingdomHearts2.html

Doing it on easy is pretty lame since itís simple to plow through enemies with little effort.

Again, depends on how much enemy health is boosted. Increased aggression can sometimes factor in. Ever played Vanquish? God Hard is incomparable to the other difficulties and a speed run on it would vary drastically from Hard.

Iím not a big fan of speed runs themselves unless itís a platform where actual reflexes are needed.

I'm more interested in the tactics than execution. Though they sometimes sacrifice the optimal strategy due to it being faster to skip aquiring ability X and beat the boss (even though the actual fight is longer).

unlike the other BB runs in the other games where you canít save.

Heard MGS2 was especially brutal with this (12 saves or so).