The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why Kingdom Hearts?

#1AwakaningPosted 7/22/2012 11:30:16 PM
I don't understand why the creators made so many filler games, for so many different consols. It makes me sad knowing that because of this, the game birth by sleep was overlooked and was looked at as just another filler game.

thats cool now my friends and coworkers think the game not worth buying. the sad thing is most people are so loyal to kh that they don't even notice they missed a big part of the story. they just hear kh3 and get all excited. They ****ed up on that end. I really can't say birth by sleep is different then recoded or days since it's pretty much in the same category as the filer games. pretty sad a few people over look it.
---
We are in the memory era so don't forget it!
#2SBK91Posted 7/23/2012 4:14:48 AM
I don't understand why the creators made so many filler games,

Money. Also, FF Versus XIII occupying the KH2 team for the past six years.
#3falconesquePosted 7/23/2012 7:52:00 AM
Also, FF Versus XIII occupying the KH2 team for the past six years.

Or has it...? \;j (Check the top-level page today or search GameSpot later for a link to the latest rumor on that front.)

But agreed: Money.

the sad thing is most people are....

This is a zealot's lament. :j You aren't the only one with eyes, rest assured, but not everyone gauges their values in the same way. And that's as it should be, honestly.

Everyone makes a choice, and SE made their choice to sail those waters, way back before KH2 first shipped, when they farmed out KH-COM to GBA as a stopgap for their balance sheet. They have marketing research personnel who doubtless fed them the stats that made the choice most attractive to their shareholders.

Your fellow players and KH fans aren't responsible for that situation. Yes, it's sad everyone won't play every KH game, but very much expected that most wouldn't spring for the additional devices. Some players saw that writing on the wall and walked away as soon as KH-COM shipped, that's how much this continued course was expected.

SE either ignored or didn't deem the bad feelings worthy enough to harm their P&L.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#4SBK91Posted 7/23/2012 3:51:50 PM
Check the top-level page today or search GameSpot later for a link to the latest rumor on that front.

Saw that. If it's true, they may finally be able to start on KH3, hopefully by year's end. Maybe even get a teaser by the Tokyo Game Show.
#5falconesquePosted 7/24/2012 7:34:10 AM
If it's true, they may finally be able to start on KH3...

That's optimistic at best. If it's true (a deliberate leak perhaps to protect SE from security trading laws), sad to say it's far more likely another excuse will surface. Hope, sure, but don't hold your breath.
---
#6Hotel_SecurityPosted 7/24/2012 3:17:03 PM
I don't understand why the creators made so many filler games

I don’t understand why folks call them “filler” games. So any game that has the same fun gameplay for a series that people enjoy isn’t appreciated? People would REALLY prefer to have only had KH1 and KH2 and have had ten years now go by without getting any KH content? Really? I don’t believe anyone who says this. Why is it SO horrible to have a series with gameplay that folks enjoy and then try to give fans MORE of that content? Why is this so horrible?

The main dev team has been “busy” with FF13 Versus since 2006. You’re not getting a new KH3 game until it’s done. I’d rather have “filler” than nothing in that period.

, the game birth by sleep was overlooked and was looked at as just another filler game.

And yet you rip on “filler games” and then try to defend something that falls into your definition of a “filler game” by trying to declare it’s not a “filler game.” They’re either all “filler games” or none are. Personally, the only issue I have with BBS is it’s out for the PSP which I don’t have and they don’t seem too eager to throw it on PSN. I’ll wait, of course.

But agreed: Money.

And giving fans more content that they want. It may be one AND the other but not one and not the other.

They have marketing research personnel who doubtless fed them the stats that made the choice most attractive to their shareholders.

Oh, it’s not that complicated. In you CoM example, they wanted a bridge between KH1 and KH2 but didn’t want a full-scale game with top-line graphics and putting it on a hand-held is a way to get a game and not have to break the bank for graphics. A lot of great series have been “saved” because they can put them on handhelds or DL for cheaper when they'd never have made money had they been elsewhere. This whole “money” argument is silly…it’s bloody expensive to make a top-line game on the major consoles now. A large majority of those games lose money. A company being greedy and a company being smart with their expenses is two different things.

(Check the top-level page today or search GameSpot later for a link to the latest rumor on that front.)

And right after that is a tweet that the rumor is garbage. As always, wait for official word before we get giddy on E3 trailers next year.
#7falconesquePosted 7/25/2012 9:46:30 AM(edited)
People would REALLY prefer to have only had KH1 and KH2 and have had ten years now go by without getting any KH content?

Yes. I know of at least one player who never went on to KH2 because of the KH-COM release. Saw the writing on the wall, and said no.

If you don't understand the concept of protest or civil disobedience, give it time; in another ten years or so, the circle may turn again. Some of us lived through the Eisenhower years and remember the Red Scare. But that's way off the topic.

You’re not getting a new KH3 game until [FF13 Versus is] done.

Still possible vaporware at this point. Seriously, d'ya think the next thing said won't be more smoke 'n mirrors?

I strongly doubt we'll ever see a game called KH3, III, or Three. There's no money in it for them to ever remove that hook — over six years of free advertising so far, what's not to like. (Yes, SE, that's a dare. Prove me wrong. Please. >:j)

Oh, it’s not that complicated.

But that wasn't complicated. In an international corporation that trades common stock on a public market, what I described is "business as usual" — expected and typical.

What I'm saying is that when evaluating release strategies, these corporate needs are significant, to SE if not to players. SE issues Profit & Loss Statements just like any other corporation (request a portfolio at square-enix.com). Yes, fan acceptance — not wants — plays its part, but maintly in how that press affects SE's shareholders.

...it’s bloody expensive to make a top-line game on the major consoles now.

With a darn profitable return expected in this case as well.

Mostly the industry seems in a holding pattern at the moment, making do with the smallest efforts fiscally feasible while awaiting the next-gen console directions. or some other major directional shift, keeping their primary staffers available to change projects.

...a tweet that the rumor is garbage

Yes, most rumors are almost immediately denied. There's an art to rumor mongering and those who successfully swim those waters are masters of that craft, but even the most artless dogpaddler (no, not as would offend the 'SPCA) know how to say, "We've made no such announcment." ("SE confirms rumor is bogus!" Except they didn't.)
---