This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Lazy writing/development having to revisit the worlds a 2nd time through

#1ryudo500Posted 8/7/2012 8:36:59 PM
anyone else thought it was ridiculous that we had to visit the worlds a 2nd time through? seems like it was lazy for them to do so.
---
squaresoft
LAKERS & SPURS
#2GoodOlJrPosted 8/8/2012 1:06:36 AM
it was excruciating. i don't get how this game is better than KH1 at all .

I'll concede that it "feels smoother". with better camera and fluid controls, but it was nowhere near as good of a game
---
http://menversus.com/images/jerseyshores02e01hdtvxv.gif
#3feraldrgnPosted 8/8/2012 3:06:47 AM
KH2 had some new worlds,
revisiting the same worlds tied into the story & made sense considering KH:CoM

The only thing I found bad (awful) about kh2 were the amount of mini-games used.
Gummi ships & the Coliseum battles were good though.

I didn't mind revisiting worlds since they weren't all the same.
But I absolutely hate the 100 acre wood.
#4falconesquePosted 8/8/2012 6:13:06 AM
i don't get how this game is better than KH1 at all .

Oh, don't say that. It's like catnip. Scan a few pages of old topics and you'll find plenty of reasons why some players thnk KH2 is better. A series poll current on the KH board includes a few (thankfully light) sketches as well.

Different strokes, that's all. You don't have to agree with them to understand. :j

Back on topic.... Remember, long playing times are a marketable measurement in Square RPGs -- the longer, the more "epic" a game is considered. Requiring second visits extends the perception, simple enough. Marketeers love statistics like estimated game times; they know how to sell it.

FWIW, every FFX game I've played crested 120 hours. (FFX-2 has a new game plus, hard to count it, but my complete single game was over 300 hours.) FFXII, over 200 hours each. I had one KH game exceed 100 hours (the game clock changes color, BTW), but neither KH2 nor ReCOM came anywhere near three-digits.

Anyone who thinks KH2 is epic needs to find copies of FFX and FFX-2, if they don't already have those games. Serious recommendation. :j The stories are linked and the latter's battle system should appeal greatly to KH2 lovers, though the former's Monster Area should satisfy, too.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#5GlavewurmPosted 8/8/2012 10:00:00 AM
Revisiting a world can work really well, just depends on how you do it. Think back to KH1, you revisited a lot of world in that game because you couldn't get everywhere the first time. It gave a cool feel, like, "Hey, Sora's getting better at this, what with the flying and all". They were unofficial revisits, but if KH2 had followed the mold, like having certain paths require some Growth ability, or even a stronger spell (like Atlantica), you get the same sense of progress. They could even use the CoR method from Final Mix 2, where you have a suggested way to do something (using a Drive Form, or Tornado launches or whatever), but depending on how developed Sora is you can usually just skip most of the minigame (You can get through the Tornado room with just Growth abilities for example).

Instead they just went with the straight lines. While I miss platforming in the series, I know not everyone likes it. But it didn't even really need to be platforming, just some sense of progress. They tried to do it with the final boss fight, with Sora suddenly being very powerful (from Roxas sitting down and taking orders), but it's done sloppily, since Roxas (and potentially Final Form) happen early on in TWTNW, but you don't see the pay off until much later.

From a story point of view, revisits made things like Xaldin work better, but they resort to "just throw a big Heartless in" too often in other worlds. While that fits with what you learn at the halfway point, it still doesn't need to be done so... lazily.

Sum up: Revisits have a lot of potential, mostly wasted in KH2.
---
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20120528.gif
#6Hotel_SecurityPosted 8/8/2012 2:12:21 PM
I wouldn’t have minded revisiting the worlds had the levels actually been packed with secrets with more unlocked with each visit. But because they weren’t it was fairly pointless. But then, that’s an issue with the levels themselves and not revisiting them. But if you want, they could have had us not revisit them at all…after all, it’s basically the same amount of worlds as in KH1 but with more plot parts.

Oh, don't say that. It's like catnip.

Good point. SOME parts are better. Some are not. It’s that simple. And FM fixes many of the parts that are not.

FWIW, every FFX game I've played crested 120 hours

Interesting point but that’s mostly because those games are loaded with content, unlike some areas in KH2. Plus it’s strange to compare one Square game to another since they’re made by different teams which means they’re not all going to be the same. I do agree that FF games often take longer than most games we play…usually for good reason. More stuff to do, the better.

Anyone who thinks KH2 is epic needs to find copies of FFX and FFX-2, if they don't already have those games.

Strange comparison and I’d say FFX greatly pales compared to FFX-2. The plot in FFX is much improved but everything else is basically better in FFX-2 plus they did away with that awful, awful sphere grid.

you revisited a lot of world in that game because you couldn't get everywhere the first time. It gave a cool feel, like, "Hey, Sora's getting better at this, what with the flying and all".

Excellent point. Getting new trinity powers was one reason….getting new fire/ice/thunder powers was another reason. That’s what I meant with the “packed with secrets” silliness.

but they resort to "just throw a big Heartless in" too often in other worlds

Ya, Halloween Town is maybe the worst. Walk here, walk there, walk here, fight boss.
#7falconesquePosted 8/9/2012 8:55:19 AM
Interesting point...

Thank you. An attempt to add scale to "epic". Did a strict storyline run for FFX and it was still over 60 hours. (See my sig link for my FFX Shortlist and an idea of what all I normally do.)

Plus it’s strange to compare one Square game to another since they’re made by different teams

Not identical teams, but many of those teams' principle members were the same, Nomura included. The work there influenced his work here, probably good and ill.

Strange comparison and I’d say FFX greatly pales compared to FFX-2. The plot in FFX is much improved but everything else is basically better in FFX-2...

That's exactly the parallel I was thinking of, too. :j

...plus they did away with that awful, awful sphere grid.

Pshaw. ;j I love FFX's sphere grid. Most interesting, versatile leveling feature ever.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#8Broken9754Posted 8/9/2012 11:05:28 PM
Not sure why I'm posting, as I pretty much agree with nearly everything falconesque said and don't have much to add, but I'm really, really bored. Anyway, a huge chunk of KHII feels like filler to me. I still love the game, but for that reason alone KHI will always be the better game in my personal opinion. KHII definitely shines in other areas, they just aren't quite as important to me, personally.
#9General_TimPosted 8/10/2012 8:57:54 AM
KH II is a better game. It just gets repetitive after the story is done, you beat the arena, and you beat Sephiroth. Two to three game files and my focus suddenly shifts to "How cool of a Gumiship can I make?" which was completed with the Heartless Cruiser. However back on point the second play through the levels is for wrap up. They let you see what has happened to everyone. Except you also have to fight more enemies instead of "gee I wonder what Mulan is doing" which IS pointless to do when you still have a story line to complete. Plus doing these worlds a second time unlocks stronger enemies for you to fight and get better.

P.S. I too hate 100 acre wood, and Atlantica (NOW THERE is a lazy world if there ever was one)
---
Now see what you've done. You've gone and made me immortal.
You can try to MOD me but I will come back as something else every time.
#10BlitzTHedgehogPosted 8/13/2012 4:42:54 PM
My opinion on FFX and X-2 is quite incomplete, since I never took the time to finish either game, but I am curious how you feel fans of KH2 would appreciate X-2's battle system? In my opinion the two are completely different, and while I love both turn-based and real time systems, I'm sure there are a bunch of people that prefer one over the other.