This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Forgetting Sora (SPOILERS)

#1ArcalmPosted 8/20/2012 12:30:06 PM
Is that actually a point to the whole idea of everyone forgetting who Sora was while he was in the chamber, because from where I'm sat it seems a needlessly pointless addition to the story.

So anyone and please a simple yes or no, NO DETAILS.
#2Mikey_RPosted 8/20/2012 12:53:45 PM
Yes, play Chain of Memories.
---
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Burnin_Rubber/index/
#3TomDangerfieldPosted 8/20/2012 12:54:45 PM(edited)
Yes.

Why didn't you just make a poll?

EDIT: nvm
---
Black 1 Fc: 2709 0967 8461 Black 2 Fc: 0218 7181 0280
#4Arcalm(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2012 1:10:54 PM
Mikey_R posted...

Have, lets see Sora had his memories messed up by Namine, has to have them rebuilt???? Nope it said absolutely nothing about other people.
#5phiefer3Posted 8/20/2012 1:50:50 PM
I'll agree that for the most part it seemed like a pointless little tidbit, they could have just left it as it just being Sora who's memory was altered and have it not affected anyone else without much change. The only purpose it seems to serve in the story is for it to be brought up in little throw-away conversations that if removed wouldn't have really changed anything. Such as when Leon says that everyone suddenly remembered Sora at the same time, Sora gives a sarcastic remark about them forgetting him and then they're done talking about it.

It doesn't really serve a purpose since it's already resolved by the time we actually do anything. It's basically an "oh btw, while you were sleeping this happened but it's all better now, so you don't have to worry about it, just wanted to let you know it happened."
---
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/08/25/ninja.jpg
phiefer3-I must be a glutton for punishment but I'm going to attempt to edumacate the Veghbot
#6Mikey_RPosted 8/20/2012 5:40:43 PM
Arcalm posted...
Mikey_R posted...

Have, lets see Sora had his memories messed up by Namine, has to have them rebuilt???? Nope it said absolutely nothing about other people.

By messing with someone's memories you also affect the ones related to those specific memories.

By messing with Sora's memories and basically locking alot of them away (they were trying to turn him into a mindless drone), Sora forgets about them, and they forget about Sora.

When Sora's memories get reconstructed, so do the memories of the people tied to him. All of Sora's memories of them will come back quickly and so will their memory of Sora, just rushing in and coming to the front of their brain.
---
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Burnin_Rubber/index/
#7phiefer3Posted 8/20/2012 9:17:46 PM
Arcalm posted...
Mikey_R posted...

By messing with someone's memories you also affect the ones related to those specific memories.

By messing with Sora's memories and basically locking alot of them away (they were trying to turn him into a mindless drone), Sora forgets about them, and they forget about Sora.

When Sora's memories get reconstructed, so do the memories of the people tied to him. All of Sora's memories of them will come back quickly and so will their memory of Sora, just rushing in and coming to the front of their brain.

Except that those facts weren't introduced until KH2 said so, and it resolved it as soon as it was introduced.

Chain of Memories never said nor implied that messing with Sora's memories would affect other people (aside from Donald and Goofy, but then that's easily explained that Namine had been tampering with their memories as well). In fact, that's a pretty huge side effect for them to have never mentioned, Namine even gives Sora the choice to either keep his memories of Castle Oblivion or to get his old memories back. That seems like an awfully strange choice to offer without also telling him that it's not only his memories on the line by the memories of everyone else he has connections to.
---
phiefer3-I must be a glutton for punishment but I'm going to attempt to edumacate the Veghbot
#8falconesquePosted 8/21/2012 8:38:59 AM
That seems like an awfully strange choice to offer without also telling him...

The challenge is that Naminé herself is ignorant, too. Remember her take on being called a witch? She's a nobody, a special one, but that's still significant.

CoM was an incomplete story. KH2 filled in some blanks.

Probably the best way to rationalize it is this: If memories were real, physical things snipped completely free, then all ends of that link in the chain of memories would necessarily be severed. Naminé, so early in her existance, may not have realized that's what she had done or was undoing. The gifted sometimes do things without thought in that manner; they can't necessarily explain it.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#9phiefer3Posted 8/21/2012 1:14:16 PM
I think you're missing the point. The whole concept of her tampering with Sora's memories affecting anybody other than Sora was not introduced at all until KH2 introduced it. It could have been removed without it affecting any other part of the story.

Yes KH2 gave an explanation as to why messing with his memories affected the memories of everyone else, but that's just a case of circular logic. The explanation was written to explain why it happened, and it happened because of the explanation. Neither had any impact on any other part of the story and both could have been left out just as easily without changing anything else.

I mean as far as I remember it's only even mentioned like 3 times, and the most meaningful of those scenes was the one with Kairi which could have easily been done with Kairi and Selphie still remembering Sora.

It's exactly the same as if they had started KH2 saying that because Namine tampered with Sora's memories that it caused everyone connected to him to grow an extra arm but that the extra arm disappeared once his memories were restored. Would that have had anything to do with anything else in the story? No, it would have been completely inconsequential since it was over and done with before anything else happened regarding it.
---
#10GlavewurmPosted 8/21/2012 2:59:01 PM
It's establishing another rule of the universe, but then doesn't actually do anything with it until a game that wasn't even going to be made at the time. So, yeah, it's pretty odd.

I guess it's just used for an excuse to keep Kairi from being too mopey or seem uncaring since it's been a year since Sora said he'd come back.
---
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20120528.gif