This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to game, but not series

#11shadow chao 10Posted 9/26/2012 7:31:24 AM
I think you're probably the only person in the world who would recommend for someone to play Beginner when they've already played four other games in the series (two of which don't even have beginner modes, and we have no reason to assume that he played the beginner mode on the two that do). Proud isn't really a matter of extra EFFORT, it makes the game more fun. KH2's low difficulty gets criticised all the time for good reason! Now maybe you're right and Beginner isn't really as easy as it sounds (I wouldn't really know, and I don't have any particular desire to replay it to find out when I could be spending the time on Critical instead), but why make the game easier at all? Beginner is obviously intended for beginners, and the TC simply isn't one of those.
---
~Space for rent~
#12falconesquePosted 9/26/2012 8:08:27 AM
I probably am. But I don't mind. It's not me playing, after all. :j

Proud isn't really a matter of extra EFFORT, it makes the game more fun.

Doesn't make it any more fun for me, hard as that might be to imagine. ::shrug:: I don't expect everyone to enjoy things the same as myself, however, so I offer alternative suggestions. I like unusual approaches to games, what can I say.

I don't have any particular desire to replay it to find out ... Beginner is obviously intended for beginners

Play a Beginner game when you get a break in your schedule. See for yourself. Still fun (and unmarked on your memory card, heh).
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#13atrombatore(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2012 9:43:01 AM
Well, I am trying standard. I usually try whatever difficulty is default (like how on transformers FoC, escalation starts you on easy). I look forward to playing, but have to play in spurts, as being a teacher gives me little free time.
---
Number of people I have found who liked FFVIII and FFII more than FFVII:me + 42.5
XBL-Trombatox, PSN-Trombatox
#14falconesquePosted 9/27/2012 6:06:25 AM
Out of curiosity, what age students do you teacher? KH and KH2 provide an interesting study in that regard, in both their teaching methods and the values they instill.

Best wishes with your playthrough. :j
---
#15atrombatore(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2012 2:18:31 PM
I teach high school (Chemistry and Physics). I use games alot, like shooters for physics and RPGs with alchemy for chemistry principles. I also have the room divided with maps as Team Cyrodil and Team Ivalice.
---
Number of people I have found who liked FFVIII and FFII more than FFVII:me + 42.5
XBL-Trombatox, PSN-Trombatox
#16falconesquePosted 9/29/2012 9:23:47 AM
Ah, thanks. :j Had a high school chem teacher who loved a good magnesium demonstration, heh. A lot of game coders pride themselves on mimicking physics well, so they'd doubtless be glad to hear of classroom usage.

KH2 has a few interesting examples, but Aerial Dodge springs to my mind first.

All the best to your teams. :j
---
#17General_TimPosted 10/6/2012 8:09:03 AM
Most of what people are saying are opinions that have some truth to them. Except for the magnet thing, I have tried to use magnet, magnera, magnega, thunder, thundara, and thundaga; and in all 200+ hours of game play thundara is has as much range and power as magnega. Thundaga is easily twice as potent as thundara. When setting up your magic shortcuts use reflect, cure, and thunder(the highest available level of course), the fourth one is your choice. You ALL can test this using thundaga you can clear out the top of pride rock quicker than the magnet spell can even at its highest level. Plus thunder can be used to end a close boss fight almost instantly instead of a combo. (Magnet does NOT effect bosses)
---
Now see what you've done. You've gone and made me immortal.
You can try to MOD me but I will come back as something else every time.
#18SBK91Posted 10/6/2012 12:49:30 PM(edited)
have tried to use magnet, magnera, magnega, thunder, thundara, and thundaga; and in all 200+ hours of game play thundara is has as much range and power as magnega.

It's an unblockable attack that groups and disables all enemies in it's AoE while dealing minor damage on it's own and leaving them open to further attacks; that's much more useful than Thunder's direct damage. It brings you to finishers instantly.

What makes Magnet broken is that by hitting enemies currently affected by Magnet with an attack that that will knock them out of it (like Explosion, Thunder, and Fire), Magnet can damage them once or twice more per hit. Magnet+Thunder kills enemies faster and safer than Final is capable of doing; Stitch's ukelele+Magnet+Thunder/Fire is the highest DPS in the game.

When it works, Magnet is even more broken than Reflect. If it affected all bosses it'd be called Ultima.

Thundaga is easily twice as potent as thundara.

Thundaga is 25% stronger than Thundara.

When setting up your magic shortcuts use reflect, cure, and thunder(the highest available level of course), the fourth one is your choice.

Reflect, Magnet and Thunder are all near permanent shortcuts. Cure/a healing item is a great choice for the fourth, but against normal enemies I like Fire to combine with Magnet for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

You ALL can test this using thundaga you can clear out the top of pride rock quicker than the magnet spell can even at its highest level.

Did you know not to use a second Magnet until the first has dissapated? Greatly extends how long you can go without MP recharge.

Magnet does NOT effect bosses

Magnet damages bosses the same as any other magic, it's the disabling effect that doesn't affect all bosses. What it does effect it shreds to pieces (ie Lock, Shock and Barrel).
#19General_TimPosted 10/13/2012 8:00:14 PM
However you need to be near them. Oh, and the constant effect is the only thing that helps it keep pace with the range of thundaga. The thunder commands can be used from the opposite side the area. Magnet can not. Plus magnet brings enemies TOWARDS you darn near right on top of you.
---
Now see what you've done. You've gone and made me immortal.
You can try to MOD me but I will come back as something else every time.
#20SBK91Posted 10/14/2012 6:03:56 AM
However you need to be near them.

For what, Magnet to Thunder spam?

Oh, and the constant effect is the only thing that helps it keep pace with the range of thundaga.

They have the same range. Magnet has a much larger AoE.

Plus magnet brings enemies TOWARDS you darn near right on top of you.

Having enemies helplessly above me in the perfect position for an Explosion/Fire beatdown is a bad thing?