This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anyone have their game freezes when they try to enter a world?

#1StellaRellaPosted 2/1/2013 1:20:30 AM
I played through Kingdom heart 2 once and suddenly i decided to start a new game. Everything went smoothly but when reached Land of the dragons, it starts to freeze. All i hear is the surrounding sound of the forest and my ps2 making a certain sound like it was trying hard to load the disk or something. I was able to view the first cutscene of the world where sora met mulan and mushu and then i get that party switch window and during that time i decided to check the journal but after flipping a few pages and going back, the game suddenly freezes and i had to reset and that is when the world won't load. Checked my other save file and found it does not load at all, same as pride lands, halloween town, antartica. Other worlds were fine when entering but i haven't check port royal.

My disk is not scratched as the game was bought for 5 months and it's still good as new. So am not sure what's the problem.
#2KathrynsDadPosted 2/1/2013 8:17:58 AM
I had that problem and solved it by buying a new disk. So I figure it's something to do with the disk, but heck if I know what.
#3falconesquePosted 2/2/2013 8:24:05 AM(edited)
A mid-game freeze (everything comes to a full stop) usually is media related, like what helped KDad. Dirty or damaged disc or memory card, especially those holding more than 8MB, most likely. Click PS2 above (www.gamefaqs.com/ps2) to find help on cleaning issues. Usually the cheapest and fastest repair, so worth a shot.

But the sound you heard is significant, I'm afraid, likely means a mechanical part is failing on your console. First, try doing the same thing on another PS2, using your disc and memory card. (Maybe the local used-game merchant can help.) If they work okay in that case, have the console serviced. Again, click PS2, above, for hardware FAQs, board, and answers. If you're mechanically minded yourself, search YouTube for repair videos.

KH2 may be the first game to exhibit the problem, maybe its disc is nicked in just the wrong place, but the problem usually gets worse and spreads.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#4Hotel_SecurityPosted 2/7/2013 2:56:20 PM
But the sound you heard is significant, I'm afraid, likely means a mechanical part is failing on your console.

No it doesnít. A lot of time when discs donít play correctly the Playstation makes a ďharderĒ whirring sound in its attempts to read it but it doesnít mean anythingís wrong. Man, you sure love stating things as fact when you really are guessing, donít you?

In the end, sometimes you just have a flawed discÖeven if itís not a scratched, sometimes itís just burned incorrectly. It happens. Discs arenít perfect. Some games you can just deal with the freezes and others it becomes an issue. If it happens too much and ruins too much of your progress than itís time to get a second disc. If itís just every once in a while then itís no big deal. Every game freezes every now and then.
#5falconesquePosted 2/9/2013 8:10:29 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6falconesquePosted 2/9/2013 8:19:03 AM
The bad-disc issues were recounted first. Often that's the cheapest "fix". But when a PS2's mechanics fail, there's a decided ratcheting noise. It's distinctive, but can go unnoticed at first.

That's well known, not guessing. What part(s) may need replacing varies based on the PS2's model and revision, and the part itself can be as cheap as US$10-20. Had I told the TC to run out and buy a part without asking, that would have been guessing, and presumptuous to boot.

If you're not mechanically adept, this can be the most expensive problem short of replacing a fat PS2 in its heyday, but if it's spotted early then someone can keep an eye out for an inexpensive replacement console.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank