Question about 1019 Memory Cards (Corruption Issues)

#1chaomaster4000Posted 2/2/2012 2:56:37 AM
My trusty old 251 Memory Card is beginning to fill up, and so I'm looking at getting hold of another memory card for future use. Everyone and their mother has heard about official 1019 memory cards corrupting at the worst possible times, but after doing a bit of research I can only find examples of corruption occurring when using a 1019 card with a Wii console, rather than a Gamecube console. If this is the case, then that's great, because I never use my Wii for GC games. However, I'd like to make sure that I'm right in thinking this before I spend money on getting hold of one, since they're on the expensive side - are 1019 memory cards only infamous for corrupting on Wii consoles, or have they been known to do so on a Gamecube console too?
---
chao master four thousand
"Hey! Where's MY alien donkey?"
#2Lum_YatsuraPosted 2/2/2012 4:40:08 AM
It isn't quite clear what causes the problem. Rumor suggests heat from wiiconnect24.

As far as I'm aware Nintendo never publicly acknowledged that issue in any way or form. Neither ever confirming, denying, or even a mere "no comment" at all. Let alone make an attempt to fix the problem or somehow compensate users.
---
I do not own an NES console.
#3NikraPosted 2/2/2012 5:28:11 AM(edited)
This the known issues when using the 1019 Memory Card on a Gamecube:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/memorycard1019.jsp

---
The tyrant's ideal: To get a dog to carry it's own whip and being proud of it.
#4Lum_YatsuraPosted 2/2/2012 5:26:09 AM
It's useful, but only mentions incompatible games. Not consoles.
---
#5NikraPosted 2/2/2012 5:30:42 AM
He asked about the issues with the card on the Gamecube. Not on the Wii. And this answers his question.
---
The tyrant's ideal: To get a dog to carry it's own whip and being proud of it.
#6Lum_YatsuraPosted 2/2/2012 7:08:01 AM
Oh OK.
---
#7Pako PakoPosted 2/2/2012 11:21:26 PM
May I also suggest getting a memory card with a USB plug? HKEMS stocks them if Play-Asia stopped their sale on 64MB USB cards.

Like all other USB cards (Datel/AR and Intec/GS make their own, but rely on a GC "boot disc"; HKEMS is just plug-and-play), they aren't as reliable as Nintendo memory cards, so just use them as a "go between" and not a direct-save.

In other words, still use your 251, but when you're done, copy those saves to the USB card, back it up on your PC, verify, and safely erase from your 251.
---
-=PakoPako=-
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"
#8chaomaster4000(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2012 7:36:22 AM(edited)
Thanks for the help everyone. If that link shows the only problems that the 1019 card has when used with a Gamecube console, I'll probably go out and get one this afternoon since I don't own any of those games (except SA2B which I have a separate memory card for anyway due to Chao Gardens). I'm sure I've read about problems with other games too, but they may have been on the Wii.

I did like the PC back-up idea, but I couldn't find those USB cards on Play-Asia, and I'm not sure what HKEMS stands for. :(
---
chao master four thousand
"Hey! Where's MY alien donkey?"
#9Pako PakoPosted 2/8/2012 4:58:51 PM
chaomaster4000 posted...
I did like the PC back-up idea, but I couldn't find those USB cards on Play-Asia, and I'm not sure what HKEMS stands for. :(

Look harder. It's listed as USB Memory Adaptor 64M -- you can even Google for it.

Also, HKEMS is both the card's brand and the brand's website. (Like "SNK" or "SEGA".)
---
-=PakoPako=-
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"